Sign in with
Your question

Building a system

Last response: in Systems
September 23, 2009 9:27:18 PM

Good evenening everyone,

This is the first time I'm going to configure and assemble a PC, and even tho I've done a lot of research, I'm still kind of a newbie in the hardware-area.

After a long time of comparing, reading and thinking, I'm thinking about the following configuration:
Processor: Intel Core i7 920
Mobo: Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD4P
Video card: MSI N295GTX-M2D1792
RAM: Triple3X Dominator 6GB DDR3-1866 CL9
Power supply: Be Quiet Straight Power E6 700W
CPU-Cooler: Prolimatech Megahalems
Casing: SilverStone Raven
Monitor: Iiyama E2607WS-B1

My budget is around 2000 EUR (around 2900 USD), the current configuration costs me about 1700 EUR (around 2500 USD).

The PC should be a high-end, but not best of the best, all-round PC, suited for graphical applications such as Photoshop, some video-editing, gaming, office-like applications and regular uses such as browsing and text-editing.

Apart from the new monitor I think I've got all the necessary input/output devices (extra monitor, mouse, keyboard, printer, scanner).

What I was wondering is what you guys think of this configuration. Any advice is appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

Jesper

More about : building system

September 23, 2009 9:32:07 PM

Exchange the 295GTX for a HD 5870 and get a better PSU: Corsair, Antec, Seasonic or OCZ in the 520W - 650W range.
Other than that it's a great setup.
September 23, 2009 9:32:31 PM

Monitor resolution? Games you intend to play?

Possibly some links to the components or at least the site where you plan to buy it from

Do you habe an OS and DVD drive?
Related resources
September 23, 2009 9:35:20 PM

Be Quiet would not be my first choice. They are under-reviewed and it would be better to get a brand you can have some certainty about.
Corsair 650TX
http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.aspx?sku=340676

The 5870, coming to a store near you soon, is a better value than the GTX 295 and since it has DX 11 and Eyefinity it might be more appealing to you.

September 23, 2009 9:39:57 PM

Proximon said:
Be Quiet would not be my first choice. They are under-reviewed and it would be better to get a brand you can have some certainty about.
Corsair 650TX
http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.aspx?sku=340676

The 5870, coming to a store near you soon, is a better value than the GTX 295 and since it has DX 11 and Eyefinity it might be more appealing to you.

Only a more expensive version will have Eyefinity, but yes, a 5870 is a better value than a GTX 295.
September 23, 2009 9:44:26 PM

@ Gulli & Proximon
Just checked it and wow, that appears to be an awesome video card! If after checking all the benchmarks, more detailed specs, reviews and performance averages I'm still as impressed as I am right now, I'm certainly going for that one.

@ build
Monitor resolution would be preferably minimal 1900x1200, all types of games (also the high-end ones). I live in the Netherlands, so that's where I'll be buying most of the parts. I'll post the links tomorrow, didn't think about that :-).

I have a DVD-drive, but I'm also thinking about getting a Blu-Ray drive. The OS I'm getting is Windows 7 Ultimate (or whatever the personal version of Enterprise is...).

About the PSU: I'll think about that, the PSU was really one of the parts I was very unsure about. I didn't really know what to take into account for that, but it helps checking the guide on this forum for all parts :-).
September 23, 2009 9:49:31 PM

If your planning to go crossfire/SLI in the future, then I'd recommend at least 750W.
September 23, 2009 9:54:05 PM

Jesper800 said:
@ Gulli & Proximon
Just checked it and wow, that appears to be an awesome video card! If after checking all the benchmarks, more detailed specs, reviews and performance averages I'm still as impressed as I am right now, I'm certainly going for that one.

@ build
Monitor resolution would be preferably minimal 1900x1200, all types of games (also the high-end ones). I live in the Netherlands, so that's where I'll be buying most of the parts. I'll post the links tomorrow, didn't think about that :-).

I have a DVD-drive, but I'm also thinking about getting a Blu-Ray drive. The OS I'm getting is Windows 7 Ultimate (or whatever the personal version of Enterprise is...).

About the PSU: I'll think about that, the PSU was really one of the parts I was very unsure about. I didn't really know what to take into account for that, but it helps checking the guide on this forum for all parts :-).

The Netherlands? Use the tweakers.nl pricewatch to get a good deal (but read the shopreviews before ordering anything.)
September 23, 2009 9:55:14 PM

build said:
If your planning to go crossfire/SLI in the future, then I'd recommend at least 750W.

Crossfiring two 5870's for 1920x1200? If he's that hellbent on throwing money around I'll just give him my bank account number ;) 
September 23, 2009 10:06:11 PM

Not right now, but more demanding games in the future might require it :) 
September 23, 2009 10:28:27 PM

Quote:

After a long time of comparing, reading and thinking, I'm thinking about the following configuration:
Processor: Intel Core i7 920
Mobo: Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD4P
Video card: MSI N295GTX-M2D1792
RAM: Triple3X Dominator 6GB DDR3-1866 CL9
Power supply: Be Quiet Straight Power E6 700W
CPU-Cooler: Prolimatech Megahalems
Casing: SilverStone Raven
Monitor: Iiyama E2607WS-B1

LOL, you chose a gtx 295 rather than a 5870, your comparing, reading and thinking is pretty bad no offence. (I know you chose a 5870 now)

Also, post in a better format this way it will answer a lot of questions.

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/261222-31-build-advic...
September 24, 2009 1:23:22 AM

Jesper800 said:
The PC should be a high-end, but not best of the best, all-round PC, suited for graphical applications such as Photoshop, some video-editing, gaming, office-like applications and regular uses such as browsing and text-editing.

My son has a similar build going on here .... I'm not giving him any advice, leaving his to the effort on his own ... well at least until final decisions are made. I might pop in when he gets to October 20 or so.

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/270740-31-college-bou...

OTOH, I won't ruin his educational experience by helping you a bit.

1. If you are doing photoshop, any gaming (read TN panel) monitor will leave you wanting. The best compromise between gaming and color accuracy in the < $500 category is the Lenovo L200x and the Dell 2408WFP both of which have S-PVA panels.

2. As for ATI 5870 vs vesus nVidia 295, $379 for the 5870 looks like a good value compared to the 295's $499 "at present", but w/ your budget, is the $120 relevant ?, Of course which way you go might depend upon what excites you more ATI's DX11 (about 50 games) support or nVidia's PhysX (about 150 games) support. I'd suggest taking advantage of ATI's fanfare and wait for the inevitable price reductions which always follow a competitor's product release which I expect will hit before Windows 7 releases on Oct 22.

A month from now, the market should settle and more detailed reviews should be in. Despite the fan support for the 5870, it must be recognized that the 5870 only has managed to surpass the 295 in a small number of games. Read the actual published reviews and make a judgment for yaself. Every single one I have read so far has the 295 still reigning as top dog. The 5870 is been correctly positioned perhaps as "the better value" but with your budget, I don't think the cost difference will be relevant ... especially after nVidia reacts to the 5870 as expected w/ their own price reductions. Then again, given it's production costs, maybe the reductions won't be that significant.

3. In short, I'd say wait a few weeks.....now you'd have to install an older OS which you won't have to do in less than a month. Check out wikipedia for the games you are most likely to play and see if DX11 or PhysX excites you more. By then, the GFX market should have settled out and you may find yaself better informed or with more opportunities available. One or both cards may drop in price .... the 5870 might get a new set of drivers which make the 295 irrelevant. At the very least, you'll be building your new machine and Windows 7 will be the 1st OS you install on it. Note....before everyone jumps in, installing the free trial RTM still means you have to reinstall.
September 24, 2009 4:02:35 AM

@ OP: The budget is quite high and can be reduced easily..you don't need all the expensive stuff, for your needs 1500USD max, will be enough.

@JackNaylorPE, your son is quite a money waster, I looked at the thread you linked. It's pretty sad in a way. You should talk to him about it
September 24, 2009 6:54:01 AM

@ build
To be honest I don't really know what Crossfire/SLI is, thanks for your advice. I'll go check what they are.

@ Gulli
Thanks, already did, otherwise I would've come up with 2300EUR for the current configuration, not 1700 ;-).

I'm not really throwing money away with the monitor, right, I thought it was pretty nice (4000:1, 300 cd/m2, 26", 2ms respond time, 1900x1200). Anyways, I'm not sure about it, it just seemed great when comparing to the other monitors.

About the throwing money away: I always throw money away from the mountain tops, not via direct wire transfer. Bad luck this time for you, when I decide to throw money away to bank accounts I'll be sure to contact you :-).

@ build
Apart from that it just seemed very good :-D.

@ JackNaylorPE
I'll do some more research on the monitor, wasn't sure about it anyway. I like Iiyama, that's a fact (/love @ 17" ProLite E431s...) ;-).

I'm kind of planning to buy all the parts in about 2 weeks from now, assemble it, and have it ready when Windows 7 comes around. I definetely don't want to install another OS first, it's just a waste of time (not a waste of money, got another license ;-)). I'll wait with picking the processor tho until more reviews are out, thanks :-). The benchmarks seemed pretty amazing tho for the 5870, in 80% it was also ranked better than the GTX295.

@ overshocks
Hmm, I just want everything one tiny step below top-notch. High end, but not skyscraper-high-end :-).

Thanks for your advice everyone, more advice is still appreciated!

@
September 24, 2009 9:34:50 AM

Jesper800 said:
@ Gulli
Thanks, already did, otherwise I would've come up with 2300EUR for the current configuration, not 1700 ;-).

I don't quite follow you, what did you already do that saved you 600 euros?
September 24, 2009 1:49:13 PM

While you are waiting for your parts, look at this thread:
http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/261145-31-read-postin...

It is primarily intended for troubleshooting, but the the first part contains a checklist of things that cause common problems. It may prevent you from making some basic mistakes.
September 25, 2009 1:05:34 PM

@ gulli
You advised me to use tweakers.net, so I responded that I already did and that if I hand't done that this configuration would've probably cost me 2300E because I bought parts at the more expensive shops ;-).

@ jsc
Thanks, I'll definitely do that!
September 25, 2009 1:56:10 PM

@ overshocks
Didn't see your first message responding to it now. Yep, I know I'm not the best in this, that's why I'm asking for advice here :-). I'll convert my post to that format, thanks.
September 30, 2009 1:20:49 AM

hey i have a gtx 295 allready wandering if you were me, would you sell it and get the 5870 for the dx 11
September 30, 2009 9:53:18 AM

Looking at benchmarks, the GTX295 beats the 5870 by about 5-10%. However, if you really want the advantages of DX11 to DX10, you might want to get it. In my opinion the difference isn't enough between DX10 and DX11 tho, I wouldn't get the 5870 if you already have a GTX295.
September 30, 2009 10:23:20 AM

thank you for the helping me out it was driving me crazy trying to decide,i didnt want to lose out on alot money,i think ill stick with gtx 295 for now
!