CPU cooler and case?

lolpie

Distinguished
Dec 9, 2009
Hi guys I'm planning to build my first computer,read up on it hoping it won't burst into flames when i plug it in :bounce: . I'm planning to get most of the parts from a nearby micro center. I've decided on:

P5Q SE2 P45 775 ATX Motherboard

ArmorX ATX Mid Tower Computer Case

CMPSU-400CX 400 Watt ATX 12V Power Supply

Core 2 Quad Processor Q8400

and other stuff that I don't feel like listing right now unless neccessary :sleep:

My big problem is deciding on a decent cpu cooler,since i've heard the stock cooler is kinda sub-par. I've narrowed it down to 2 coolers:

Hyper 212+ Universal CPU Cooler
I WAS deciding on this one until i found it was out of stock,30$,cheap and seems decent to buy,don't know whether i should wait for a restock

Vendetta 2 Universal CPU Cooler
Looked at it and reviews, seems pretty good even if it's a bit more expensive than the hyper 212. the vendetta 1 is cheaper,is there any significant difference between the two?

Any recommendations on a good CPU cooler between the 30-50$ price range is welcome :D . Also if you know any good cases i'd like to hear about em(though i think mine is pretty sexy already :kaola: ) Thank you in advance community!

P.S I've noticed that my case has a side and front fan...i think i remember hearing someone say a front fan is useless? something about confusing airflow.... anyway if anyone can confirm this,i'll think about trying the Antec 300 case instead

vznoobie12

Distinguished
Nov 10, 2009
I can vouch for CM's hyper 212+. I use it on my i5 and it does wonders.

Also, they probably meant that the side fan was useless. Front fans are important, as they intake cool air. I would definitely use an antec 300 over an armorx. Make sure you get the 300 illusion if you change your mind.

johnnyq1233

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2007
what kind of video card are you gonna feed with that 400 watt psu?.....not much left power wise!
If you're planning a gaming system....then I'ld look at 550 watt and up...cause any decent video card is gonna need that power....
JQ

lolpie

Distinguished
Dec 9, 2009
I'm planning on using a GeForce 9500 GT,doesn't need too much power i think. Not really going for the high end graphics card,and the 9500 seems like it can get the job done on my basic graphical needs.I'm more of a gameplay connoisseur,not really picky about graphics. Just want it to run well. And damn,the Antec 300 illusion is a sexy case. To be honest,i liked the armorX because it looked beautiful and seemed a decent case. Unfortunately, they only sell the basic antec 300(not illusion) case at my nearby micro center, so probably going to stick with the ArmorX. thanks for the advice though.

Wait, I think it IS the antec 300 illusion,just they left the illusion name off it. Gah, now i have to decide between 2 cases xD

lolpie

Distinguished
Dec 9, 2009
Erm,also, can anyone explain to me a bit more about case fans? gosh,theres so many places to put them. side fan,top fan,front fan,rear fan :eek: All i know is i need em to keep my Techbox nice and cool.

I've also noticed that the PSU slot is on the bottom of the Antec 300, not around the top that i usually have. Is that a issue? doesn't seem too important,i'm just used to the PSU being on the top.

night_wolf_in

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2007
psu being at bottom is better for over all airflow.

you would need one front intake, to bring cooler fresh air. and you would need one outtake at the rear top. if you can get intake at the side (just above the gpu) that would be nice, but i dont think it is important.

ya, a better psu would be better.

TRENDING THREADS