Why is my E8400 running at 2.00 gHz?

RevLTD

Distinguished
Dec 2, 2009
Heres the backstory: I took out the cmos battery after updating my bios and changing my ram to 4.0GB. No issues now. Timings etc are set. However, I have just recently realized that is running at 2.00gHz.

My mobo is an ASUS p5n-e SLI.

I thought maybe it was just a bios fluke, so I ran CPU-Z. Sure enough both cores are running at 2.00 gHz. How can I fix this? I shouldn't have to overclock my CPU because for some reason it is running slower than usual. Thanks.

Solution
If I was you I would return the BIOS to fail safe defaults and then see what everything is running at. CPU speed/memory speed/timings/volts and all that good stuff. And then adjust if needed. That should fix anything that you may have botched in the past.

If you're sure that all the other settings are set properly just change the Multi to 9. It is actually rather simple because your cpu's multi is locked. It can't be set higher than 9.

Why did you disable speedstep in the first place? And yes it should be at 9. Either via a bios restore or manually setting it to 9.
Open CPU-Z and then run an intensive program. A game, Prime95, or something like that. See if your CPU clock speed changes while running an intensive program. You might simply be seeing Intel's Speedstep, which slows the processor in order to conserve energy and reduce heat while it's not being used intensively.

RevLTD

Distinguished
Dec 2, 2009
The multiplier was 6x, if i remember correctly. If it isn't that i'll just update the post after I check. And i'm not really sure what to change it too, if i should change it.

someguy7

Distinguished
Dec 12, 2007
If I was you I would return the BIOS to fail safe defaults and then see what everything is running at. CPU speed/memory speed/timings/volts and all that good stuff. And then adjust if needed. That should fix anything that you may have botched in the past.

If you're sure that all the other settings are set properly just change the Multi to 9. It is actually rather simple because your cpu's multi is locked. It can't be set higher than 9.

Why did you disable speedstep in the first place? And yes it should be at 9. Either via a bios restore or manually setting it to 9.

Solution

RevLTD

Distinguished
Dec 2, 2009
I disabled speedstep only because that is how the bios had it by default. Before I reset my cmos, i reset to the default bios settings.

Sure enough, the multiplier should have been 9. So I set it manually. Thanks all for your help, can't believe it was a simple problem.