Sign in with
Your question

Computer Troubleshooting

Last response: in Systems
September 24, 2009 12:45:17 AM

Hi

Recently my computer has had an interesting but inconvenient set of problems.

-After several hours of computer being on my network adapter (built in or pci card) will stop working.

-Upon restart the computer will not get through the BIOS and will restart and continue in that loop. Say the usual bios screen takes 10 seconds. It will get through about 9 seconds of it. It will not boot a cd during this process.

-After several hours or sometimes a day, the computer will continue to work normally until 6-24 hours later when the network adapter fails again.

I have tried reapplying the heatsink and using only 1 of my two memory modules. This seems to tell me it's not the memory unless both sticks are bad.

I have a gigabyte p35 mobo and an e6750 with 2 sticks of DDR2 ram. I have the latest version of the BIOS.

I have overclocked the computer to around 3.4ghz with adequate cooling before, but it has been on stock settings for a while before this happened. My computer was also moved a day before this problem showed up. I have a tuniq tower 120 so I'm guessing the mobo may be fried somewhere, but I want to get another opinion before I upgrade.
a c 113 B Homebuilt system
September 24, 2009 1:12:21 AM

Fails to restart and continues in a loop, rebooting?

Corrects itself only after resting several hours?

The componennt in your PC that takes the longest to cool down is the PSU. A cheap or broken PSU that overheats will spit out badly regulated voltage that can cause any number of issues with the system.

Without further testing that would be my first guess.
m
l
September 24, 2009 2:29:11 AM

Excellent insight, thank you.

Here is my system spec:

Video:
GA EVGA 640-P2-N821-AR 8800GTS R
Processor:
INTEL Core 2 Duo E6750 2.66GHz FSB1333MHz 4M LGA775 Retail BX80557E6750
Mobo:
MB GIGABYTE GA-P35C-DS3R 775 R
PSU:
PC POWER and COOLING Silencer 750 Quad (Copper) S75Q Power Supply
Cooling:
|TUNIQ K8&P4|Tower 120 RTL
Memory:
1Gx2|PATRIOT 240P PDC22G6400LLK

As you can see I did not skimp on a power supply. Hopefully PCP&C can help me rectify the problem.

I have prime95 running now and will be doing a memtest overnight, but what you said makes a lot of sense.

m
l
Related resources
September 24, 2009 3:28:38 AM

That's a very high quality PSU, but any PSU can fail. I can't even think of another reason for your PC to take several hours to rest before booting.
m
l
September 24, 2009 3:32:10 AM

Proximon said:
That's a very high quality PSU, but any PSU can fail. I can't even think of another reason for your PC to take several hours to rest before booting.

My brother's computer is essentially the same setup as mine. His computer will sometimes just shut off after a couple hours of use. Then it will boot up instantly again. I didn't have enough time when I was home to do a prime test or memtest but I figured that was PSU related also. Maybe we just got a bad batch?

m
l
September 24, 2009 3:48:18 AM

Other things can cause a seemingly timed shutdown... for instance a program or driver that causes a memory leak. It's the long reset period that I see no other cause for.
m
l
September 24, 2009 3:54:29 AM

Is there anyway I can test the PSU with a multimeter or some pc program?

Sending the PSU back for warranty work is going to be a huge hassle and expense so it'd be nice to know for sure.
m
l
September 24, 2009 4:28:03 AM

No, because we are talking about very rapid changes for the most part.

That's actually the biggest reason to buy very high quality PSUs such as yours. The only ways to test them involve very expensive equipment.

You can look for obvious V-droop with a multimeter... say when it first boots and then compare that to several hours in hot conditions at high load.

How about this:
The next time your PC fails to boot up, take a can of compressed air and use the thin nozzle to blow straight into the PSU, being careful of course. Cool the PSU down completely then try to restart.
m
l
!