Solved

Do you actually clean you PC? Desktop?

Last response: in Components
December 12, 2009 2:00:09 AM

If so, how ofter? How well?

More about : clean desktop

a c 288 ) Power supply
December 12, 2009 2:06:27 AM

every few months because im in there anyway, my apartment is unfortunately fairly dusty. My indicator is that the dust filter gets so full that i can pull dust off the metal grating in front of it, which means i should probably clean it this weekend. I usually just open it up and blow out as much of the dust as i can, i dont do a full disassembly unless its really bad like some of the older dells i work with that havent been cleaned in 5 years.
m
l
a c 248 ) Power supply
December 12, 2009 2:12:28 AM

I clean my desk and wipe the exterior of my case every week. I check the interior of my case once a month and clean it with a can of compressed air if neccessary. In addition, every Sunday morning I run iolo's System Mechanic Pro. I run the utility while reading the Sunday paper.
m
l
Related resources
a b ) Power supply
December 12, 2009 2:44:58 AM

I try to at least twice a year. I've learned my lesson after seeing some horrific dust buildup in a chipset fan and single slot GPU cooler.
m
l
a b ) Power supply
December 12, 2009 3:39:52 AM

I have an Antec P182 case which has removable intake filters. I vacuum them once a month since that's about how long it takes before the dust accumulation looks like it might be starting to impede the airflow.

This is the first case I've had with any filters, let alone the very slick removable arrangement with press-to-release front grilles on this case. You can be sure that I'll look for something similar on every other case I buy from now on...
m
l
a c 248 ) Power supply
December 12, 2009 4:37:09 AM

Jack - roflmao :lol: 
m
l
December 12, 2009 5:05:16 AM

Every month i do the "ordinary " dust cleaning, and 2 times at year i dismantle the computers for a "deep" clean and control.
m
l
a b ) Power supply
December 12, 2009 1:07:16 PM

maybe once a month the intake filters with vacuum and the internals every couple months with vacuum and little bit of blowing and small brush. no compressed air or anything fancy lol
m
l
a b ) Power supply
December 12, 2009 1:53:41 PM

Well...for me, i have practically zero dust in my house or no particles in the air at that, becuase i have major air filtration systems so my computer can run for 3 years and not have a single dust particle inside of it...therefore i don't even bother cleaning it. Every now and than I clean during the summer because my windows are open a lot but other than that the only part i clean is my operating system for lots of junk files that chew up space and performance.
m
l
a b ) Power supply
December 12, 2009 2:12:18 PM

every 3-4 months i take my pc to work for a good blow then i inspect everyting reseat my cooler every 6-8 months after a waterjet buff ,look at my all my slots and socket with a microscope every yr and take everything apart every 2 yrs for a full inspection and a new build every 4 yrs
m
l
a b ) Power supply
December 12, 2009 2:17:02 PM

Lucky you blackhawk, my apartment has disintegrating carpet, so no matter what I do or how I clean the dust always comes back quickly.
m
l
a b ) Power supply
December 12, 2009 2:37:27 PM

^Oh I have no carpet anywhere except for my basement but the 1/2nd floor has only hardwood floor. So a quick 2 minute vacuum and all the dust is gone :) .
m
l
a b ) Power supply
December 12, 2009 2:44:58 PM

Nice. At home I have carpet still, but it is not nearly as bad as at my apartment. Fortunately most of the dust seems to get stuck in my case/filters, but I will definitely do a thorough cleaning when I get home.
m
l
a b ) Power supply
December 12, 2009 7:16:10 PM

Hmm...well if there is any dust than its bound to get sucked into the air currents going in your computer, it will be sucked in, then it will stick to something and will never come out plus if ther is any static than its will get stuck to more i think. And why don't you just spend some money and get a HEPA air filter and place it right next your computer, the HEPA will suck in the dust and nothing will ever get into your PC.
m
l
a b ) Power supply
December 13, 2009 1:49:33 AM

With how bad it is, I have thought about/discussed it. Never made a decision though.
m
l

Best solution

December 13, 2009 2:28:39 AM

Twice a year I do something that most people find very odd.

I'm a smoker and nothing sticks to hot hardware like cigarette smoke - problem is, that no aircleaning thingamabob removes tar/nicotine. Sooooo....

I disassemble my pc:

Cables and internal/external casing gets a damp cloth with soap.
Gfxcard, soundcard and fans get a thorough cleaning with qtips and strong cleaning fluid; Ajax and things like that.

Now to the strange, yet efficient cleansing of the motherboard...
I remove: jumpers, battery, ram, heatsinks, cpu and I wash my board like you would do the dishes :p  after a good scrubbing I dry it immediately afterwards with a hairdryer.
Now I've been practising this odd stunt on 8+ different motherboards, and they all still work.

Sometimes I feel guilty after cleaning the hardware on the outside only, and do a /format c: + reinstall also :) 
a b ) Power supply
December 13, 2009 4:16:02 AM

Yes, when it gets dusty. About every 3 months or so. Sometimes I'll open it up and use a can of compressed air on it.
m
l
a b ) Power supply
December 13, 2009 12:52:45 PM

ChrisCornell, "no aircleaning thingamabob removes tar/nicotine." <Wrong!
Actually a honeywell Air Hepa with a 400mm Scroll cage fan with a 4 inch thick HEPA filter and a Charcoal cover that doesn't allow anything through that it larger than a fraction of micron in size. If you buy one, all your tar will be embedded in the HEPA and nothing will reach your hardware.
m
l
December 14, 2009 1:45:48 AM

JohnnyLucky said:
I clean my desk and wipe the exterior of my case every week. I check the interior of my case once a month and clean it with a can of compressed air if neccessary. In addition, every Sunday morning I run iolo's System Mechanic Pro. I run the utility while reading the Sunday paper.

Interesting i am also using a gigabyte isolo 210..... its a great midtower case..... The side screen gets dusty quite often. I just wish this case had a reset button and a fan on the side bottom or top..... otherwise a design that will last for years to come.
m
l
December 14, 2009 1:50:10 AM

chriscornell said:
Twice a year I do something that most people find very odd.

I'm a smoker and nothing sticks to hot hardware like cigarette smoke - problem is, that no aircleaning thingamabob removes tar/nicotine. Sooooo....

I disassemble my pc:

Cables and internal/external casing gets a damp cloth with soap.
Gfxcard, soundcard and fans get a thorough cleaning with qtips and strong cleaning fluid; Ajax and things like that.

Now to the strange, yet efficient cleansing of the motherboard...
I remove: jumpers, battery, ram, heatsinks, cpu and I wash my board like you would do the dishes :p  after a good scrubbing I dry it immediately afterwards with a hairdryer.
Now I've been practising this odd stunt on 8+ different motherboards, and they all still work.

Sometimes I feel guilty after cleaning the hardware on the outside only, and do a /format c: + reinstall also :) 

Would alchol be safe on parts other than the CPU, GPU, and integral parts on the MB? I will take my PC apart later and use compressed air and alchol to clean the cables, wires, interior, and metal hdd, psu, ect..... I guess to de-dust woy=uld be wise as its been about 8months since I last did it. Thanks but this made me realize that cleaning your parts might help just for peac of mind. Does it affect heat or preformance? I doubt it but if you have any experiances pls share it with us.....
m
l
a b ) Power supply
December 14, 2009 11:19:52 PM

Well I am pretty sure if applied carefully, it will be fine but realisticly speaking is it worth the time, effort, nerve and risk of taking hours cleaning your computer and risking breaking the parts, damaging them or decreasing thier life when you can spend on a small investment and buy a small cheap HEPA filter and let it run quietly 24/7 next to your PC and keep it 99.99% dust/dirt/particle/crap free throughout its entire life and never have to be cleaned?
m
l
December 17, 2009 12:19:55 PM

Weekly at sundays!
m
l
December 20, 2009 12:57:23 AM

LOL no one noticed I chose the most sarcastic answer.... but in all seriousness, do you guys let your PC collect dust until you find that you have to repair it for another reason....
m
l
!