Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Can you overclock without liquid cooling?

Last response: in Overclocking
December 22, 2011 2:34:50 AM

Is it possible to overclock at GTX 285 or a 460 without the use of liquid cooling? I have good airflow in my case(I think) and its a full tower with the side panel taken off(old habit). A better question is. Is it safe to over clock these cards with out CL?
a b K Overclocking
December 22, 2011 12:39:05 PM

Yes its "safe" to OC the cards without a LCS
m
l
December 22, 2011 12:52:01 PM

Ok so why the "safe" :) 
m
l
Related resources
a b U Graphics card
December 22, 2011 12:53:25 PM

Sure. But u would be able to push the card a little further with LCS.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
December 22, 2011 12:56:43 PM

Yes of course it is, probably not by much, you might want to blast the dust out of your heat sink in your cards with some compressed air first though.
m
l
a b K Overclocking
December 22, 2011 1:06:50 PM

Because there is no such a thing as a safe OC..Safety is in the eye of the beholder when changing the operating parameters of CPU components that they are tested at.
m
l
December 22, 2011 1:14:28 PM

Ok so now the question is what is a safe OC that will give me a little bit more performance but keep it my card from bursting into flames and spawning demons?
m
l

Best solution

a b U Graphics card
December 22, 2011 8:02:05 PM

Bazeleel said:
Ok so now the question is what is a safe OC that will give me a little bit more performance but keep it my card from bursting into flames and spawning demons?

Every card is different and alot of other components come into the equation. Overclocking is a tuff. Basically best way is OC in very small amounts and test stability each small increment increased. When you start to see artifact, temps high, instability back down a notch. And thats is your OC threashold. But beware you need to know what u are doing or else the card is toast. Google Overclock to learn specifics of your card and which programs to use.
December 22, 2011 8:27:06 PM

Best answer selected by Bazeleel.
m
l
!