Sign in with
Your question

Samsung S2 External Hard dive does not recognise

Last response: in Storage
July 26, 2011 3:20:54 PM

I have a samsung 1tb S2 external hard drive HX-MU010EA/G22 which stopped recognising.

I have tried into different operating systems Window 7, XP, MAC and Ubuntu. I was trying to retrieve the data from the hard disk.

Any ideas what options are available to try. I have check Disk Mangement and there is no external hard disk available. I have checked USB controllers for Intel(R) ICH9 Family USB2 Enhanced Host Controller and refreshed all controllers and it still does not recognise.

Please can anyone suggested how to retrieve the data
a c 104 G Storage
July 26, 2011 5:44:49 PM

Hello, & Welcome to Tom's Hardware!

First thing to do is go into your BIOS, on the CMOS page, to see if the removable HDD is recognized by the BIOS, along with you other desktop drives.

Report back.

If not recognized, then change the USB cable and change to another USB port on your desktop to see if that makes any difference.
November 26, 2011 9:41:22 AM

John_VanKirk said:

First thing to do is go into your BIOS, on the CMOS page, to see if the removable HDD is recognized by the BIOS, along with you other desktop drives.

Report back.

If not recognized, then change the USB cable and change to another USB port on your desktop to see if that makes any difference.

Hi john,

Sorry for the late reply. I gave up with this hard disk.

I have tried the above suggestions and still it does not recognize.

The thing is the motor runs but it does not do anything.

Regards
Mustaq
Related resources
a c 104 G Storage
November 26, 2011 1:29:52 PM

Hi Mustaq,

Well, I'd just try a different ext HDD on the computer USB port, and if that is recognized properly, then you know for sure it is in the HDD itself.

Then just replace the defective HDD. There's not anything else to do when a HDD isn't even recognized in the BIOS, other than send it off to a commercial data recovery service, which can be very expensive. Depends on how valuable the data is, and if you can, even with a significant amount of effort, replace it.

John
March 22, 2013 4:27:11 AM

I have a similar problem, except I think I've found my S2 listed in the CMOS on a SATA port. My S2 also lights up when I switch ports and when the computer boots up, but isn't recognised at all by my Windows operating system nor by the Samsung driver manager.
May 9, 2013 12:30:19 AM

mustaqs said:
John_VanKirk said:

Report back.

Hi john,

Sorry for the late reply. I gave up with this hard disk.

I have tried the above suggestions and still it does not recognize.

The thing is the motor runs but it does not do anything.

Regards
Mustaq

aliceschesya said:
I have a similar problem, except I think I've found my S2 listed in the CMOS on a SATA port. My S2 also lights up when I switch ports and when the computer boots up, but isn't recognised at all by my Windows operating system nor by the Samsung driver manager.

May 9, 2013 12:31:39 AM

syedmustaq said:
I have a samsung 1tb S2 external hard drive HX-MU010EA/G22 which stopped recognising.

I have tried into different operating systems Window 7, XP, MAC and Ubuntu. I was trying to retrieve the data from the hard disk.

Any ideas what options are available to try. I have check Disk Mangement and there is no external hard disk available. I have checked USB controllers for Intel(R) ICH9 Family USB2 Enhanced Host Controller and refreshed all controllers and it still does not recognise.

Please can anyone suggested how to retrieve the data

aliceschesya said:

I know what you are experiencing. I thought I lost all data access from my S2 by Samsung/(Seagate now has servicing for)
Drivers for this harddrive are nowhere to be found (that I know of). I know they were available but they are not now.

I was so upset to lose everything...but then my son told me to dual boot with the latest Xubuntu 12.04LTS or 12.10 [now there is two updated versions iso files available from the website]. I burned the iso for all versions to try.
Step 1
Cnet HAS DOWNLOAD TOO, I guess http://download.cnet.com/Xubuntu/3000-18513_4-75186204.... but I used the one from Xubuntu
site. Here is the latest code named Raring Ringtail http://xubuntu.org/getxubuntu/
Step 1A: Once you have disc burned then Boot from that disc and once you get to LIVE disc version by choosing TRY Xubuntu
Step 1B: Open program called "GParted" if it is not on your System choices then you can access it from Xubuntu Software Center.
Step 1C: Once opened you will see all hard drives that are recognized. If you are really lucky then you will see a dropdown menu with your external hard drive and all it's files.
Step 1D: If you do see your files then copy and paste them to the desktop in a folder label it as you want. I just called it "SamsungS2"
Step 1E: Now using Gparted select your Samsung drive and Delete all files / Wipe it completely by clicking on CHECK mark to complete process. Reformat it to correct type. I guess it can't be fromat for only windows or for linux etc types. I believe it is FAT32 that works
Step 1F: So then once that is all done... I closed Gparted and OPENED my external drive that should be on desktop. Click on it to mount it if not already and open it. Once it is open you should see that it is empty.
Step 1G: Open your folder that you saved files from external hard drive (samsung) that has your newly transferred files in it. Copy the files and paste them inside your Samsung hardrive that you just fixed up in Gparted.
Step 1H: Don't delete files from desktop until you are sure you have them in both places. Desktop and in harddrive

Now this is where I then clicked on Install Xubuntu.
It will begin to install....Follow prompts to install along side Windows. Don't worry that it will erase your OS or files.
I found this so much easier than choosing "Something else" which makes you pick how to reformat internal disc and how much to fix it with a different format process etc.

Once it is installed it will ask you to pop out disc and then restart will then give you a few seconds to choose OS you want to use.
Arrow keys will work fine for choosing Windows OS then hit ENTER key

Widows should start. ;) 
Now here is where it gets good for me.
I found that if I download a partition tool that works well with Windows called MiniTool from Cnet site it is free as well
http://download.cnet.com/MiniTool-Partition-Wizard-Home...
I then installed it and opened it and found that I now has my hard drive with both operating systems [Windows with NTFS and Xubuntu with ext4 formats.]
Then I also seen my Samsung external hard drive in there too.

Download SLIMDRIVERS from Cnet free version
http://download.cnet.com/SlimDrivers-Free/3000-18513_4-...;1
Run scan. Install all drivers for usb /hubs or for ones that related to your missing drive. try and see if your external hard drive shows up now.

But lets just say {{{Worst case scenario}}} that your external drive still did not show up at all or that you don't see files space in there.
Then do this:
Shut down computer completely, Boot into Xubuntu OS and then with your previously saved files that you copied again and put on your newly installed Xubuntu desktop....Open that folder again.
Open the Windows partion of your internal drive
Copy the Samsung folder
Paste it into your Windows drive partition.
Close all windows.
Restart computer to boot into Windows OS desktop.
Open C: drive files and you should find your saved files from your Samsung in there. Wala! you know have access to your files again.
And if you are even more fortunate like me you will be able to also use your external hard drive again too.

!