Tags:
  • New Build
  • Intel i7
  • Systems
  • Product
Last response: in Systems
September 24, 2009 5:17:09 AM

APPROXIMATE PURCHASE DATE: As soon as possible!! BUDGET RANGE: around $900

SYSTEM USAGE FROM MOST TO LEAST IMPORTANT: multi-tasking (usual programs); programming; multimedia; gaming (mostly WoW)

PARTS NOT REQUIRED: I'm not buying any peripherals (monitors, kbd, etc) and I'm reusing one of my SATA HDDs

PREFERRED WEBSITE(S) FOR PARTS: NewEgg or any reputable site

PARTS PREFERENCES: I want to build a solid i7 rig

OVERCLOCKING: Yes, but nothing extreme; maybe to 3.6 or so. Something solid and stable to run 24/7

SLI OR CROSSFIRE: Not initially, but I would like to keep the option open

MONITOR RESOLUTION: 1680x1050

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
This is what I have put together so far:

Case:
I think I finally found a case I really like. I'm pretty much set on this one unless someone know a specific reason not to get it.
Lancool K62

Motherboard:
Due to the fact that there just aren't any reviews our there for P55 motherboards, I've kind of just picked this one randomly. I figured Asus was a good brand and the CPU/Mobo combo was a good deal.
Asus P7P55D Pro

CPU:
Decided to go with the i7 860 because I could save some money from the i7 920, and I really don't need SLI or Crossfire (which seems to be the major push for the x58 chipset).

RAM:
Not positive on the RAM, but this seems like it will be a solid set from a good company.
OCZ Gold 4gb

Graphics Card:
I'm going with the eVGA GTX 260 because I like the eVGA step-up program. I hope to use it next year when the 300 series nVidia cards come out. The RAM/GPU combo seemed like a good deal.
eVGA GTX 260

Power Supply:
I hope that this is a powerful enough power supply. I'm sure it is now, but I do want one that will be able to handle several more HDD and maybe another GPU. This one is priced really nicely especially after the MIR. It's modular too.
OCZ ModXStream Pro

Optical Drive:
Just a standard SATA dvd/cd rewritable

Cooler:
Not sure what to get here.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I'm planning on ordering tomorrow so I thought I would just throw it up here to see if there were any last minute suggestions. Let me know if you see anything that won't go together well. Thanks for any suggestions!!!

More about : 860 build buying tomorrow purchased

September 24, 2009 6:19:18 AM

^+1

im glad you didnt make a mistake here why_me. are you high or something tonight?
m
l
September 24, 2009 8:28:08 AM

Let me know how your build goes. I am doing something similar and I want to know how well the 860 does. From what I've read on these forums, the CPU isn't the gaming bottleneck right now, but I'd like to know how it goes. Good luck!
m
l
September 24, 2009 3:54:06 PM

era86 said:
Let me know how your build goes. I am doing something similar and I want to know how well the 860 does. From what I've read on these forums, the CPU isn't the gaming bottleneck right now, but I'd like to know how it goes. Good luck!

Just finished ordering everything! I hope it all goes well! I'll post an update after I get everything in and finish the build. I'm super pumped, but now I have to wait for it all to arrive...

If you have anything specific you would like me to run on this system when I get it going, just let me know. I'd more than happy to run some games for you.
m
l
September 24, 2009 4:02:09 PM

I know that everyone on here is having a love fest with NewEgg (hey, I like 'em too!) but I have seen plenty of times where www.ewiz.com was a good bit cheaper than NewEgg when comparing apples-to-apples. I've never placed an order with them so I can't comment on their service, but I'm pretty sure they're about to get some of my $.
m
l
September 24, 2009 4:14:14 PM

rodney_ws said:
I know that everyone on here is having a love fest with NewEgg (hey, I like 'em too!) but I have seen plenty of times where www.ewiz.com was a good bit cheaper than NewEgg when comparing apples-to-apples. I've never placed an order with them so I can't comment on their service, but I'm pretty sure they're about to get some of my $.

Thanks for the tip, but it's about 15 minutes too late lol... I checked some of the prices and they aren't bad. I just finished buying my components off of newegg and some off of zipzoomfly.

I just realized that I didn't order any thermal compound or anything. Should I go ahead and order some Arctic Silver 5 (seems like it's pretty commonly recommended)? And then I guess I might need some removal stuff too?

This heatsink came free with the i7 so I thought I would give it a shot for now. If I need some better cooling I'll just get a better one. (this one was free so can't argue with that)
m
l
September 24, 2009 4:18:01 PM

The picture of your cooler shows that it comes with thermal paste. It's probably not the best stuff, but it would work. If you buy thermal paste I would get MX-2 instead of Arctic Silver. MX-2 cooler a little better, has no cure time, and doesn't conduct electricity.

ARCTIC COOLING MX-2 Thermal Compound - Retail $7.98
m
l
September 24, 2009 4:20:24 PM

shortstuff_mt said:
The picture of your cooler shows that it comes with thermal paste. It's probably not the best stuff, but it would work. If you buy thermal paste I would get MX-2 instead of Arctic Silver. MX-2 cooler a little better, has no cure time, and doesn't conduct electricity.

ARCTIC COOLING MX-2 Thermal Compound - Retail $7.98

Okay cool...thanks for the suggestion. I'll order some of that stuff and see how it goes. Do I need to order the removal stuff or is there a better way to clean off the cpu?

[Edit]
I like your pic under your name by the way shortstuff. I drive a jeep too and they are so much fun! I've only been rock climbing in a jeep once but it was awesome! It's crazy what those things are capable of.
m
l
September 24, 2009 5:28:27 PM

era86 said:

I am doing an 860 build as well. I have ordered everything, however my graphics card ran out of supply so I am waiting for that. I dont plan to do sli or crossfire so I cant see why the 860 wouldn't work. Plus from everything ive heard they overclock pretty well.
m
l
September 24, 2009 5:54:34 PM

rodney_ws said:

Since you brought up alternatives, I actually saved about $20 this week getting a case from Buy.com. It was $5 less than NewEgg. And it had free shipping on the 3-5 day option, whereas NewEgg wanted $15.

I discovered another little trick, not sure I like this because it seems like a hidden 'bargaining' method - or it just shows they over charge for shipping. When I got to the check out it had 2-day shipping for $5+ selected. This was the first option. I selected the 3rd option, which was the ~5 day shipping and sure enough it was free. Then just to compare I seleted the second option, something like 3 business day shipping for $3.80, then I selected the 1st option guaranteed 2-day and it showed again as > $5. Not wanting to pay that much for shipping I clicked back on the free shipping option. At this point a 'bubble' popped up next to the shipping options that said my order qualified for $1.99 guaranteed 2-day shipping. Magically, just like that. Not sure I like it, as I said it makes it seems like they overcharge for shipping. But if you're buying form them and in a hurrty to get something it might be worth a shot.
m
l
September 24, 2009 7:37:01 PM

cgleckman said:
I am doing an 860 build as well. I have ordered everything, however my graphics card ran out of supply so I am waiting for that. I dont plan to do sli or crossfire so I cant see why the 860 wouldn't work. Plus from everything ive heard they overclock pretty well.

Which GPU? I'm waiting on the EVGA GTX275 to come back in stock. Am I racing you for the same GPU? Or are you waiting on the new 5870s? Would it be so much to ask if you could post your build configuration on my other thread?

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/271694-31-core-gaming...

I'd like to know how you went about it. Thanks!
m
l
September 24, 2009 8:01:58 PM

era86 said:
Which GPU? I'm waiting on the EVGA GTX275 to come back in stock. Am I racing you for the same GPU? Or are you waiting on the new 5870s? Would it be so much to ask if you could post your build configuration on my other thread?

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/271694-31-core-gaming...

I'd like to know how you went about it. Thanks!

Ya same GPU. I am doing the standard 896 one, not OC or anything special.

Ya sure not a problem, give me a few minutes.
m
l
September 24, 2009 8:32:06 PM

cgleckman and era86 --

Are you guys planning to OC your 860s much? I'm wanting to overclock it some but nothing too crazy. I read that it wouldn't be too hard to get it to 3.4 or so and that would be able to turbo up to 4 on single threads.
m
l
September 24, 2009 8:51:05 PM

relyt_12 said:
cgleckman and era86 --

Are you guys planning to OC your 860s much? I'm wanting to overclock it some but nothing too crazy. I read that it wouldn't be too hard to get it to 3.4 or so and that would be able to turbo up to 4 on single threads.

From what I've researched around here and over at Anandtech.com, it should be farely easy to OC the 860. I have no real experience with OCing it, but I know for sure it doesn't OC as good as the 920 from what I've seen. 3.4 on air with the 860 should be fairly easy to achieve though.
m
l
September 24, 2009 8:58:34 PM

ekoostik said:
Since you brought up alternatives, I actually saved about $20 this week getting a case from Buy.com. It was $5 less than NewEgg. And it had free shipping on the 3-5 day option, whereas NewEgg wanted $15.

I discovered another little trick, not sure I like this because it seems like a hidden 'bargaining' method - or it just shows they over charge for shipping. When I got to the check out it had 2-day shipping for $5+ selected. This was the first option. I selected the 3rd option, which was the ~5 day shipping and sure enough it was free. Then just to compare I seleted the second option, something like 3 business day shipping for $3.80, then I selected the 1st option guaranteed 2-day and it showed again as > $5. Not wanting to pay that much for shipping I clicked back on the free shipping option. At this point a 'bubble' popped up next to the shipping options that said my order qualified for $1.99 guaranteed 2-day shipping. Magically, just like that. Not sure I like it, as I said it makes it seems like they overcharge for shipping. But if you're buying form them and in a hurrty to get something it might be worth a shot.

:lol:  :sol: 
m
l
September 24, 2009 9:08:12 PM

era86 said:
From what I've researched around here and over at Anandtech.com, it should be farely easy to OC the 860. I have no real experience with OCing it, but I know for sure it doesn't OC as good as the 920 from what I've seen. 3.4 on air with the 860 should be fairly easy to achieve though.

I plan to OC in the future, not right away. I am not here for benchmarks so I am going to break in the system a bit (about a month) before I O/C.

Once I start to O/C I will go slowly. Prob 3.0 for a week or 2 then 3.2. I will prob stay at 3.2 just because i dont need any more power then that, however I am told that the 860's "optimal performance" is around 3.4 so I may in the end go to 3.4.
m
l
September 24, 2009 9:12:20 PM

I'm starting my 860 build this weekend. Got everything but the motherboard. I think I'm going to just pick up the Asus P7P55D. I was hoping for more reviews by now but I'm going to have to make a decision tomorrow, reviews or not.

I'm with you cgleckman. I'm not planning anything more than getting the system up and running first. Depending on how that goes, and after it's been running for a while, I'll consider OCing.
m
l
September 24, 2009 9:15:20 PM

ekoostik said:
I'm starting my 860 build this weekend. Got everything but the motherboard. I think I'm going to just pick up the Asus P7P55D. I was hoping for more reviews by now but I'm going to have to make a decision tomorrow, reviews or not.

I'm with you cgleckman. I'm not planning anything more than getting the system up and running first. Depending on how that goes, and after it's been running for a while, I'll consider OCing.

If you look up there's a link to another forum post. I put my build there if you want to take a look. If you make a post with your final build. Send me a personal message and I will take a look if you want :D 

m
l
September 24, 2009 9:21:16 PM

cgleckman said:
If you look up there's a link to another forum post. I put my build there if you want to take a look. If you make a post with your final build. Send me a personal message and I will take a look if you want :D 

ekoostik - Yes, please post your build up and PM me a link to it. I would love to see how you configured your 860 build as well.
m
l
September 24, 2009 9:26:18 PM

cgleckman said:
I plan to OC in the future, not right away. I am not here for benchmarks so I am going to break in the system a bit (about a month) before I O/C.

Once I start to O/C I will go slowly. Prob 3.0 for a week or 2 then 3.2. I will prob stay at 3.2 just because i dont need any more power then that, however I am told that the 860's "optimal performance" is around 3.4 so I may in the end go to 3.4.

That sounds like a good plan. I'll probably PM you when I get mine up and running and see how your OC is going.
m
l
September 24, 2009 9:28:15 PM

relyt_12 said:
That sounds like a good plan. I'll probably PM you when I get mine up and running and see how your OC is going.

Sounds like a plan, however I am purposefully not O/Cing until atleast 3-4 weeks after the systems up and going to be safe and break it in.
m
l
September 24, 2009 9:46:33 PM

cgleckman said:
Sounds like a plan, however I am purposefully not O/Cing until atleast 3-4 weeks after the systems up and going to be safe and break it in.

Yeah I gotcha...What are you doing to "break it in"? Just stress test it and then run it as normal for a while?
m
l
September 24, 2009 9:50:19 PM

Run it normally, use it for whatever I need to, gaming, design, etc. Then after a week of regular use probably run a stress test for a few hours. I have always been told its not smart to run a stress test right away. Prob use it for a good 2 weeks after that and then run another test to make sure its really stable and then go for 3.0. Test for stability and use it for a week or 2, test for stability again then go for 3.2. After 3.2 if I go for 3.4 ill only stay at 3.2 for a week give or take.
m
l
September 24, 2009 10:03:41 PM

cgleckman said:
Run it normally, use it for whatever I need to, gaming, design, etc. Then after a week of regular use probably run a stress test for a few hours. I have always been told its not smart to run a stress test right away. Prob use it for a good 2 weeks after that and then run another test to make sure its really stable and then go for 3.0. Test for stability and use it for a week or 2, test for stability again then go for 3.2. After 3.2 if I go for 3.4 ill only stay at 3.2 for a week give or take.

Thanks so much for the info! I really appreciate your help! I'll probably try to do the same thing with my system; I'd hate to mess it up right after I got it :o 
m
l
September 24, 2009 10:08:48 PM

relyt_12 said:
Thanks so much for the info! I really appreciate your help! I'll probably try to do the same thing with my system; I'd hate to mess it up right after I got it :o 

Same. I know alot of guys on the OC forum buy a new system like every month.. O/C it till its maxed out and it fries.. I am not here for that.. Unlike them I cant afford a new Setup every single month haha.
m
l
September 24, 2009 10:19:07 PM

cgleckman said:
Same. I know alot of guys on the OC forum buy a new system like every month.. O/C it till its maxed out and it fries.. I am not here for that.. Unlike them I cant afford a new Setup every single month haha.

Haha me either...I really wish I could though! There is so much more I want to throw into this system if only I had the money...
m
l
September 24, 2009 10:22:06 PM

relyt_12 said:
Haha me either...I really wish I could though! There is so much more I want to throw into this system if only I had the money...

ya same for me, however I made sure I can upgrade in the future if I want and no matter what people say, I don't believe that cpus using 1156 pin counts are going anywhere for atleast a few years.
m
l
September 24, 2009 11:30:36 PM

cgleckman said:
ya same for me, however I made sure I can upgrade in the future if I want and no matter what people say, I don't believe that cpus using 1156 pin counts are going anywhere for atleast a few years.

'
they releasing 1155 socket next year, as the mainstream. the 1556 will be OLD by then.
m
l
September 24, 2009 11:32:35 PM

cgleckman said:

thats really a long process and its time consuming and theres no point in waiting...

when the chip is made, it has been stress tested already to make sure it works..

after you stress test, if it can pass it using prime95 then it is 99.99% stable. no need for getting stuck on it for a week or two.

you need to do more research.
m
l
September 24, 2009 11:44:34 PM

overshocks said:
'
they releasing 1555 socket next year, as the mainstream. the 1556 will be OLD by then.

Links on this please?

Edit: Nevermind, you must have meant 1155?
m
l
September 25, 2009 1:06:40 AM

My bad, it was a typo it's 1155 indeed.
m
l
September 25, 2009 1:53:43 AM

1994022,7,473364 said:
Thanks for the tip, but it's about 15 minutes too late lol... I checked some of the prices and they aren't bad. I just finished buying my components off of newegg and some off of zipzoomfly.

I just realized that I didn't order any thermal compound or anything. Should I go ahead and order some Arctic Silver 5 (seems like it's pretty commonly recommended)? And then I guess I might need some removal stuff too?

1. I've used the rubbing alcohol thats free - its already in the medicine closet and it worked fine.

Just don't do it over the case, some gunk is bound to fall exactly where you don't want it.

I also am just looking for a new build.. Im going to order a 120mm cpu cooler fan. I wanted to go for an 1156 socket to save a few $'s and I'm not that often gaming anymore. I always seem to be at the $200 video card price point.

m
l
September 25, 2009 2:04:00 AM

you know what it may be being replaced but the technology wont catch up to it for at least 2 years after that. I firmly believe the 860 is a good choice for the cost, and will be supported for longer then 1 year.
m
l
!