Solved

New Gaming PC for moderate use

APPROXIMATE PURCHASE DATE: as soon as I can make my mind up on parts

BUDGET RANGE: 1000 after rebates, i can spend more if the money is well spent. I just set a 1000 budget for my peace of mind.

SYSTEM USAGE FROM MOST TO LEAST IMPORTANT:

I will use this system everyday but for a couple of hours. I am very big into other hobbies that cost way more. I am looking to get back into computer gaming and want to spend more time at home.

I play a lot of cs 1.6 / cs:s / TF2
I want to start more COD4,5,6 / Heros of Newearth (other RTS)

PARTS NOT REQUIRED: keyboard, mouse, monitor, speakers/headset, OS,

PREFERRED WEBSITE(S) FOR PARTS: where ever i can get the best bang for buck part. if the same part on tiger direct is 50$ cheaper then newegg I will order from tigerdirect. IMO tigerdirect or newegg.

PARTS PREFERENCES: 2 preferences are:
COOLER MASTER HAF 922 RC-922M-KKN1-GP Black Steel + Plastic and Mesh Bezel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case - Retail http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811119197

800+ PSU

NO POORLY MADE COMPANIES

OVERCLOCKING: Maybe
SLI OR CROSSFIRE: Maybe

MONITOR RESOLUTION: 1920x1080 hdmi/dvi/vga (would like to use dvi, hdmi is for ps3)

ADDITIONAL COMMENTS: I must stress the case and reliability. I run cs1.6 in 600x480 right now. I would really like a rig that's best bang for buck that I can play the games listed above at there native resolution and get 100+fps.

any extra graphic effects would be great. my laptop Toshiba Satellite u405D just wont cut it for the amount of gaming i want to do.

with dvi/hdmi i can lock my video setting for the right aspect ratio so 4:3 16:9 16:10 does matter. I just want FPS and some decent graphics. I will sacrifice graphics when i need more performance.


CURRENT WINNER FOR MY IDEAS ARE!!!

Qty. Product Description Savings Total Price
1

SAMSUNG DVD Burner Black SATA Model SH-S223L LightScribe Support

$31.99

1

COOLER MASTER HAF 922 RC-922M-KKN1-GP Black Steel + Plastic and Mesh Bezel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case

-$10.00 Instant

$109.99
$99.99

1
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822136284
Western Digital Caviar Black WD1001FALS 1TB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5

$94.99

1
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130433
EVGA 896-P3-1257-AR GeForce GTX 260 Core 216 Superclocked Edition 896MB 448-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Supported Video Card

-$5.00 Instant
$30.00 Mail-in Rebate14-130-433


$204.99
$199.99

1
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817171032
COOLER MASTER UCP RS700-AAAAA3 700W ATX12V / EPS12V SLI Certified CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS SILVER Certified Power Supply

-$50.00 Instant

$149.99
$99.99

2
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231166

G.SKILL 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 1066 (PC2 8500) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model F2-8500CL5D-4GBPK

-$5.00 Instant

$139.98
$129.98
($64.99 each)

1

ZALMAN CNPS9700 LED 110mm 2 Ball CPU Cooler


$53.35


1
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?ItemList=Combo.258747
ASUS Maximus II Formula LGA 775 Intel P45 ATX Intel Motherboard
Intel Core 2 Quad Q9550 Yorkfield 2.83GHz LGA 775 95W Quad-Core Processor Model BX80569Q9550

-$45.00 Instant
-$60.00 Combo



$479.98
$374.98


THE ITEMS LISTED IN BOLD ITALICS AND UNDERLINED ARE AN ALTERNATIVE IDEA
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?ItemList=Combo.258868

AMD Phenom II X4 945 Deneb 3.0GHz Socket AM3 125W Quad-Core Processor Model HDX945FBGIBOX
MSI 790FX-GD70 AM3 AMD 790FX ATX AMD Motherboard
Seagate Barracuda 7200.11 ST31500341AS 1.5TB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5
CORSAIR DOMINATOR 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model TW3X4G1600C9D G

*

AMD Phenom II X4 945 Deneb 3.0GHz Socket AM3 125W Quad-Core Processor Model HDX945FBGIBOX - Retail
Item #: N82E16819103675
Return Policy: CPU Replacement Only Return Policy

*

MSI 790FX-GD70 AM3 AMD 790FX ATX AMD Motherboard - Retail
Item #: N82E16813130223
Return Policy: Limited Replacement Only Return Policy

*

Seagate Barracuda 7200.11 ST31500341AS 1.5TB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive (bare drive) - OEM
Item #: N82E16822148337
Return Policy: Standard Return Policy

*

CORSAIR DOMINATOR 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model TW3X4G1600C9D G - Retail
Item #: N82E16820145249
Return Policy: Memory Standard Return Policy

-$10.00 Instant
-$70.00 Combo
$15.00 Mail-in Rebate Card20-145-249


$594.96
$514.96


THANKS FOR ANY SUGGESTIONS.
33 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about gaming moderate
  1. I would suggest this config -

    1. Intel Core i7-860 Lynnfield 2.8GHz LGA 1156 + 2. ASUS P7P55D PRO LGA 1156 Intel P55
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?ItemList=Combo.259879

    RAM + Graphics card -
    1. G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 + 2. MSI N260GTX-T2D896-OCv3 GeForce GTX 260
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?ItemList=Combo.256539

    CASE + PSU
    1. COOLER MASTER Silent Pro 700 RS-700-AMBA-D3 700W ATX12V + CM HAF 922
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?ItemList=Combo.250438

    CPU cooler -
    COOLER MASTER Intel Core i5 & Intel Core i7 compatible RR-B10-212P-GP 120mm "heatpipe direct contact
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835103065&cm_re=1156-_-35-103-065-_-Product

    HDD - WD Black
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822136284

    Total - $965

    The only thing that I would want to improve more on the above build would be the graphics card...
    HIS H585F1GDG Radeon HD 5850 5800 Series 1GB GDDR5
    http://www.zipzoomfly.com/jsp/ProductDetail.jsp?ProductCode=10011218
  2. im just so tired of research... im fried...

    thanks for the comments. Your "combos" seem to work perfectly with what I want.

    I agree the new ati card is boss, but i dont want to spend that much. thanks for the advice once again.
  3. Just a info about the GTX 260...It is a very powerful card, but is not powerful enough to run all the games @ 1080p...
    Go with atleast the GTX 275 or the HD 4890...they would compliment that resolution better...
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814121313
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814125290
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814127429
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814102841
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814102848

    But like you said if you are willing to sacrifice graphics for more performance, then the GTX 260 will do...
  4. The Seagate 7200.11 drives had problems. Either the one GKay listed or the Samsung Spinpoint F3 would be better choices. If you want to stick with Seagate, their newer 7200.12 drives are supposed to be better. It isn't a representative sample, but the one I've had for months now has been trouble-free and fast.
  5. ^+1
  6. thanks for the responses. Im really considering pulling the trigger tonight. made a change for this combo...
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?ItemList=Combo.251408
    275 and different ram
  7. Actually, I found this and liked it more...

    http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?ItemList=Combo.256743

    thanks for the hdd info!
  8. Best answer
    First off I want to say great choice on that Cooler Master 922 HAF. This build includes a factory over clocked gtx 275 and after market h/s w/paste. This build will allow you to run either SLI or Crossfire, and it's also set up to o/c if you so choose. All the parts in this build are quality and have received great reviews. btw, other than that h/s that combo's with the case...everything down below is free shipping.

    http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?ItemList=Combo.259678 Combo Discount: -$10.00 Combo Price: $119.98
    COOLER MASTER HAF 922 RC-922M-KKN1-GP Black Steel + Plastic and Mesh Bezel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case - Retail
    COOLER MASTER Intel Core i5 & Intel Core i7 compatible RR-B10-212P-GP 120mm "heatpipe direct contact" Long life sleeve CPU - Retail

    http://www.zipzoomfly.com/jsp/ProductDetail.jsp?ProductCode=10006382 $99.99 Free Shipping
    PC Power and Cooling SILENCER 750W QUAD S75CF Power Supply Retai

    http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?ItemList=Combo.259878 Combo Discount: -$30.00 Combo Price: $339.98 Free Shipping*
    ASUS P7P55D PRO LGA 1156 Intel P55 ATX Intel Motherboard - Retail
    Intel Core i5-750 Lynnfield 2.66GHz LGA 1156 95W Quad-Core Processor Model BX80605I5750 - Retail

    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231277 $85.99 Free Shipping*
    G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model F3-12800CL9D-4GBRL - Retail

    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822152185 $79.99 Free Shipping*
    SAMSUNG Spinpoint F3 HD103SJ 1TB 7200 RPM 32MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive - OEM

    http://www.ewiz.com/detail.php?name=SHS223B_BE $29.99 Free Ground Shipping
    Samsung SH-S223B/BEBE 22X SATA DVD+/-RW Internal Drive (Black), Bulk w/o Software

    http://www.ewiz.com/detail.php?name=GA-GTX275C $214.99 Free Ground Shipping
    GIGABYTE nVidia GeForce GTX275 OC 896MB DDR3 DVI/HDMI PCI-Express Video Card

    Total: $970.91
  9. Well crap... was about to buy the first recommendation with a hdd switch and newegg ran out of cpu fans =(
  10. Whats the deal these days to not go with AMD Pheneom II 4x? Just testing shows that i5/i7 are better?
  11. imafiretruck said:
    Whats the deal these days to not go with AMD Pheneom II 4x? Just testing shows that i5/i7 are better?

    You guessed it. :)
  12. I figured saving money on a 1156 socket would be fine. since if i ever upgraded i would get a new motherboard as well.
  13. imafiretruck said:
    I figured saving money on a 1156 socket would be fine. since if i ever upgraded i would get a new motherboard as well.


    That build I posted will o/c nicely and play your games on high not to mention you have the option to add another one of those cards later on if you really feel like hot rodding your games.
  14. What about dual cores?
  15. imafiretruck said:
    What about dual cores?


    They are fast becoming a thing of the past.
  16. yeah i figured.
  17. Here is what im about to order....

    HDD
    SAMSUNG Spinpoint F3 HD103SJ 1TB 7200 RPM 32MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive - OEM
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822152185

    COOLER MASTER Intel Core i5 & Intel Core i7 compatible RR-B10-212P-GP 120mm "heatpipe direct contact" Long life sleeve CPU Cooler - Retail
    CPU COOLER
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835103065

    COOLER MASTER Silent Pro 700 RS-700-AMBA-D3 700W ATX12V V2.3 SLI Certified CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS Certified Modular Active ... - Retail
    +
    COOLER MASTER HAF 922 RC-922M-KKN1-GP Black Steel + Plastic and Mesh Bezel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case - Retail
    CASE+PSU
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?ItemList=Combo.250438

    HIS H489FT1GP Radeon HD 4890 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFire Supported Video Card - Turbo OC Edition - Retail
    +
    CORSAIR DOMINATOR 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model TW3X4G1600C9D G - Retail
    GPU+RAM
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?ItemList=Combo.256743

    Intel Core i5-750 Lynnfield 2.66GHz LGA 1156 95W Quad-Core Processor Model BX80605I5750 - Retail
    +
    ASUS P7P55D PRO LGA 1156 Intel P55 ATX Intel Motherboard - Retail
    CPU+MB
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?ItemList=Combo.259878samsung f3
  18. imafiretruck said:
    Here is what im about to order....

    HDD
    SAMSUNG Spinpoint F3 HD103SJ 1TB 7200 RPM 32MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive - OEM
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822152185

    COOLER MASTER Intel Core i5 & Intel Core i7 compatible RR-B10-212P-GP 120mm "heatpipe direct contact" Long life sleeve CPU Cooler - Retail
    CPU COOLER
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835103065

    COOLER MASTER Silent Pro 700 RS-700-AMBA-D3 700W ATX12V V2.3 SLI Certified CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS Certified Modular Active ... - Retail
    +
    COOLER MASTER HAF 922 RC-922M-KKN1-GP Black Steel + Plastic and Mesh Bezel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case - Retail
    CASE+PSU
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?ItemList=Combo.250438

    HIS H489FT1GP Radeon HD 4890 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFire Supported Video Card - Turbo OC Edition - Retail
    +
    CORSAIR DOMINATOR 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model TW3X4G1600C9D G - Retail
    GPU+RAM
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?ItemList=Combo.256743

    Intel Core i5-750 Lynnfield 2.66GHz LGA 1156 95W Quad-Core Processor Model BX80605I5750 - Retail
    +
    ASUS P7P55D PRO LGA 1156 Intel P55 ATX Intel Motherboard - Retail
    CPU+MB
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?ItemList=Combo.259878samsung f3


    That RAM is a total hose job. Any RAM you have to volt to 1.8 to get crap timings like that Corsair has should be tossed.

    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231279 <---way faster RAM for cheaper, less voltage to get those fast timings, and it combo's with that vid card you chose.

    http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?ItemList=Combo.256477
  19. thank you. anything else i am missing?
  20. imafiretruck said:
    thank you. anything else i am missing?


    Everything else on that build looks good. :)
  21. is 275 > 4890?
    should i get thermal paste?
  22. imafiretruck said:
    is 275 > 4890?
    should i get thermal paste?


    That cpu h/s comes with a small tube of thermal paste. As far as those cards go...they run just about dead even...one wins out on one game, and the next game the other one wins out. I like the gtx 275 myself for the fact I like Nvidea drivers...Nvidea cards are pretty much plug and play once you dl the latest drivers off the Nvidea site. ATI cards...run a bit hotter also. But both are good cards.
  23. 50$ to get the same good ram and a 275... looking for a deal
  24. Why_Me said:
    That cpu h/s comes with a small tube of thermal paste. As far as those cards go...they run just about dead even...one wins out on one game, and the next game the other one wins out. I like the gtx 275 myself for the fact I like Nvidea drivers...Nvidea cards are pretty much plug and play once you dl the latest drivers off the Nvidea site. ATI cards...run a bit hotter also. But both are good cards.


    Please don't let the fanboyism take over when suggesting a video card.

    "Nvidea cards are pretty much plug and play once you dl the latest drivers off the Nvidea site."

    Same wth Ati cards.

    "ATI cards...run a bit hotter also."

    They are made to run that hot, there's no problem. Although this could have an effect on the case temperature.

    I agree both cards are good, I would suggest getting the cheapest one either 275 or 4890.
  25. I can understand. Ive run both before. Neither will go out of business if i dont buy them
  26. I wouldn't suggest those Dominators...
    Check their voltages...If I am not wrong, the X58 and P55 set 1.65V as the max for memory...And anything above those might cause stability issues and weird problems...
    I would suggest any of these combos...
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?ItemList=Combo.256107
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?ItemList=Combo.256109
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?ItemList=Combo.256105
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?ItemList=Combo.256470

    OR you can go with the RAM that Why_Me listed...
  27. gkay09 said:
    I wouldn't suggest those Dominators...
    Check their voltages...If I am not wrong, the X58 and P55 set 1.65V as the max for memory...And anything above those might cause stability issues and weird problems...
    I would suggest any of these combos...
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?ItemList=Combo.256107
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?ItemList=Combo.256109
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?ItemList=Combo.256105
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?ItemList=Combo.256470

    OR you can go with the RAM that Why_Me listed...

    I just clicked the bottom link is all gkay...so I can only comment on that.....with this cool looking emoticon.

    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820145260 :non:

    You get more for your $$ wit the G.Skill as far as timings go. :bounce:
  28. I went with gskill for sure.

    I placed the order a while ago today. im super excited!!!! gaming once again!
  29. imafiretruck said:
    I went with gskill for sure.

    I placed the order a while ago today. im super excited!!!! gaming once again!


    Not to lose track of this thread, but that forums moniker of yours has to be one of the better one's Iv'e seen. :lol:
  30. Lol... I am a big kid at heart and waaa back when i used novax, but peiople thought it meant NOVA-X for some dumb reason. Well i played an mmo called shadowbane and i played a big minotaur warrior. and i used to have hot keys to say "WOOO WOO IM A FIRETRUCK BETTER CALL THE WAAMBULANCE!" yes, cheezy but it fits my gaming style. I just run in and kill people like a mac truck or firetruck =)
  31. @Why_Me :P sure that Corsair has CAS 9...but after the rebates, it is a good deal...

    And @imafiretruck good luck with your build :)
  32. It should be glorious... I will be grabbing more ram after a couple months. I didnt get a cd drive cus we have one here at the house + local blu ray drive for 100 cant beat it.
  33. OH BTW!!!

    I LOVE THIS SYSTEM. Got a second hard drive, dvd burner, doubled the ram, bought new PWM case fans, 10x the cooling. Should be able to hit 3.8+ghz

    This is a great setup, runs everything i want and more. No problem with the games.

    Win 7 is a bitach though. Sometimes.
Ask a new question

Read More

New Build Systems Product