Sign in with
Your question

Graphics Card Advice

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
October 8, 2009 7:45:41 PM

Hi all. I'm looking for some advice on a Graphics Card for a new system I will be building. I'm not that up to date on the latest graphics cards in all honesty! I won't be using this system for gaming at all; just browsing the web and watching videos/dvds in full-screen mode. I'll most likely be using a 19" LCD Monitor with a 1280x1024 resolution. I'm just looking for a solid and reliable card that will allow me to perform the tasks I need.

I'll be using this card on a system with an AMD Athlon II X4 on a PCI-Ex16 2.0 interface. No preference on make/manufacturer. I have had a quick look on Tom's Best Card for the Money but just wanted some specific advice for my needs.

Thanks for your help :) 

More about : graphics card advice

a c 144 U Graphics card
October 8, 2009 8:20:08 PM

In all honesty, I doubt you even need a discrete graphics card. Any motherboard with a 780G/790FX/785G northbridge chipset would be sufficient for your needs.

-Wolf sends
October 8, 2009 8:37:32 PM

I was thinking about that in all honesty and I may well go with that option since it would be a lot cheaper. I know I didn't mention it in the post but if I wanted to use HDMI output to play HD videos on a larger screen, what kinda card would we be talking? I was maybe looking at a Radeon HD 4550 I can pick up for only £35 atm. Would this be sufficient?
a b U Graphics card
October 8, 2009 9:20:48 PM

I would go with the 4650; its a little more, but you get much better performance. Make sure it has an HDMI port and/or adapter.
a c 144 U Graphics card
October 9, 2009 1:24:50 AM

If you can give the build a couple extra days, I'd first try it with the on-board HDMI. If it works to your satisfaction, you're done. If not, an new card is only a few days away.

For the record, I'm using an HD 2600 Pro @ 1366x768 (port1/DVI-->HDMI) and 1280x768 (port2/DVI-->VGA) on an old E6600 system. Working perfectly.

-Wolf sends
October 9, 2009 1:33:55 AM

Well, as the poster above said .. an onboard video solution would be fine for your needs. Also, most good boards that come with good onboard graphics options actually HAVE an HDMI hookup on the back. So that should not be an issue. You could go to newegg.com and search by whether it has HDMI or not, too. I would reccomend going with a board with an onboard Radeon 4200 chipset btw. It's probably the best onboard video solution out there at the moment. Or you could also go with a hybrid SLI board and combine an nvidia 8200 onboard card with say a Geforce 8500GT and have a pretty darn good setup for not much money.

Just my two cents.
!