PC freeze oddly. HELP!!!

G

hello guys.i have an odd problem here.
first.this is my spec

Mainboard : Gigabyte VM900M
Chipset : VIA P4M900
Processor : Intel Core 2 Duo E7300 @ 2666 MHz
Physical Memory : 4096 MB (2 x 2048 DDR2-SDRAM )
Video Card : NVIDIA GeForce 8500 GT
Hard Disk : WDC (320 GB)
DVD-Rom Drive : SONY DVD-ROM DDU1642 ATA Device
CD-Rom Drive : HUAWEI Mass Storage USB Device
Monitor Type : Samsung SyncMaster - 17 inches
Network Card : VT82C570 MV IDE Controller VT6102 Rhine II Fast Ethernet Adapter
Operating System : Windows Vista (TM) Ultimate Professional 6.00.6001 Service Pack 1
DirectX : Version 10.00
Temperatures:

Motherboard 40 °C (104 °F)
WDC WD3200AAKS-00L9A0 35 °C (95 °F)

Cooling Fans:
CPU 932 RPM
CPU temp 30-50

Voltage Values:
CPU Core 2.32 V
Aux 1.89 V
+3.3 V 3.06 V
+5 V 5.13 V
+12 V 12.77 V
-12 V -11.35 V
-5 V -5.47 V

PSU 450W icute 24 pin.
GPU Diode : 53 °C

the problem is, its freeze oddly.
i have replaced ram, i have formatted to xp, replaced cpu, it continues to freeze.
the odd is that i was cleaned up the dust on the psu fan, cpu fan and heatsink..its gone for 3-4 days, then its come again...should i replace the psu?or should i replace the mobo?i have wasted my money about 200 bucks for nothing. i dont want to waste my money anymore, its more worst when i trying to playing games, after <1 min, its gonna freeze.surely. but when i browsing, or open movies, it will freeze randomly, sometime after 2 minutes, sometimes 2 hours. i tried to run mem test, sometimes its freeze after 2-3 minutes, sometimes 2-3 hours as well as prime95..i am at a total loss now.i am not good in computer, i am just a casual gamer and just know very basic of computer.

I really can't see the problem. You've already tried all troubleshooting, leaving the motherboard as the most likely problem.
Although I can't see how the power supply would cause freezing (lack of power would mean constant reboots not freezing) I would not recommend that icute to anyone. It has only 20A across the one +12V rail (which is the rail used for the most power hungry components).
How long have you had the computer for?

G

it was built about 2 years ago..but this problem has came about 6 months ago..it was ok before, that is why i am really confuse.is it motherboard? if it is, i just want to ask, why after i cleaned up all the fan it ran without freezing for 3-4 days.its odd right? sometimes i unplug all the hardware, and i install back, it was ok for a day then it was came back, as u said my psu at +12v rail has only 20A i don't really have any idea about that. is that critical problem? is there possibilities it causing by hard disk? or for sure it is my motherboard?any idea?please help..

Hard Line

Distinguished
Apr 15, 2008
1 thing that sticks out like a sore thumb to me is cpu core voltage.. if that is accurate, then it is waaay too high.. download cpu-z and look at what it say for voltage.. here is intel's recommended range for your cpu Voltage Range: 0.850v - 1.3625v, as per the info you gave above, you are running @ 2.32 volts. ( i am hoping it is an error, or you read voltage from the secondary cpu voltage ( interface voltage))

*edited for syntax

Look at motherboard brand: Gigabyte motherboard on core 2 duo...

I think you got your answer. Still, check your cpu voltage. I think you wanted to put 1.32V, so keep us informed.

Sincerely, I gigabyte motherboard got a 3 years warranty. I strongly recommend you to check it out. RMA the motherboard, if it's not the the problem, you will only lose 20$ for shipping the motherboard back to gigabyte. Still, in my experience, gigabyte usually send new boards during RMA.

It was the case during my 4 RMA for my Gigabyte GA 965P-DS3... worst motherboard ever created on the face of the planet... this piece of garbage died on me 3 times at stock speed. I had enough and bough an Asus P5QL pro.

Hard Line

Distinguished
Apr 15, 2008
I have never come across a gigabyte board that died.. interesting to hear from someone who has. I am running an open box Biostar T-series... after i swore I would never buy another..ended up being the best board I have owned...has my core 2 duo E7200 running 3.7Ghz 24/7 on 1740 FSB ( way above the 1600 it was designed for ( P35 chipset) )only quirk i don't like, is I can't use the 533 divider when overclocking so I can't get my ram to go higher without lowering my oc but I can't complain. anyhow keep us updated it does sound like mainboard or psu problem at this point though

G

hi guys..about the cpu voltage, the previous voltage that i gave was from everest home edition. but when i checked using pc wizard, it was 1.12V. which is true? this makes me more confused now. for your info, i just now tried switch the psu form my sister pc, it is cheap psu about $10-15 bucks.but for now, it works well.but i am not confident because before it used to be like this, normal for awhile then it comes back. so what should i do now?thanks a lot for the replies, at least i have something to think of.

Hard Line

Distinguished
Apr 15, 2008
I would trust the 1.12.. that is nominal voltage esp if you have speedstep enabled. I would never trust such an inexpensive power supply, however. keep us up to date and let us know if the problem crops up again... if not, then i would say power supply is most likely the issue

rreeder

Distinguished
Dec 12, 2009
Another question to be answered is what are you doing when it freezes. Are you playing high end graphics games? If you are then it could possibly be your 8500 GT graphics card. Not very high end and the will overheat if pushed and lock up. If your not a gamer try pulling the 8500 and use your mother boards onboard graphics to see if it happens again. Hope you figure it out!

G

i don't think so because it will also freeze during startup, sometimes when windows loading, browsing and anything. but it occurs randomly sometimes after 1 hours or 2, but never for long time period, never past 1 day. except when i playing games, i will freeze <1 minute and so. wery short period.

G

sorry redgarl, i don't understand what were u talking about, i am not a computer guy, i am biologist, haha, know nothing about this except a little. is my core 2 duo does not match to my mobo? i think that make sense bcause my cpu support 45nm but my mobo spec never show the statement that its support core 2 duo 45 nm neither its not. i have read another mobo specs always show that its support 45 nm.it is make sense?or am i wrong? sorry if this a stupid question.very2 sory.

Hard Line

Distinguished
Apr 15, 2008
you mainboard may need a bios update to work properly.. however with your knowledge level ( please don't take offense) you may want to bring it to a professional to have the bios flashed. You could easily kill your board.. it even happens to ppl who know what to do.

Hard Line

Distinguished
Apr 15, 2008
no problem.. knowing how, you understand why I said what i did. Just for giggles, have you run chkdsk? if not, try going to start then run type cmd then enter... then type chkdsk c: /r then enter ( assuming your main drive is C ) it will ask if you want to run at next boot type y then enter..then restart your computer and let it run as it boots.. whern it is done it will go into windows

yus_29

Distinguished
Dec 14, 2009
i did it before but did not work..i think i have figured it out. i think it was my psu because since i switch the psu yesterday then i ran two stress test which were mem test and prime95 at the same time for 6 hours and did not have any errors nor freeze. so, what do u think? it was my psu fault right?