Sign in with
Your question

Startup problem

Last response: in Motherboards
March 12, 2010 5:48:17 PM

Someone help me!!!! I just built a system with a gigabyte GA-MA785GT-UD3H mobo and an AMD PhenomII X4 955 Black. Powers up, and I get my one "beep". I get the gigabyte mobo home screen but I cant get anything to let me into the POST screen or the BIOS screen. This is my first build and I am probably stupid, but I don't know what else to do!!!!N

More about : startup problem

a c 109 V Motherboard
March 12, 2010 7:33:24 PM

I suggest clearing CMOS, but know that this will restore the board to the build date. That means if there are any BIOS updates between build date and now, you'll need to flash your BIOS.

To accomplish the clearing CMOS task, refer to your motherboard manual to find the correct jumper and setting. Next turn off the PSU switch, and then unplug the power cord from PSU to wall.

Now that the PSU is disconnected from the power source (wall), unplug the PSU from the motherboard (4/8 pin connector AND 20/24 pin connector). Finally, move the jumper position as indicated in your manual.

In about 10-20 seconds, you may put the jumper back to the way it was. Once the jumper is in the correct position, you may reconnect everyhting.

NOTE: Failure to remove the power cables from the motherboard will result in non-warrantable failure. If you are uncertain/uncomfortable performing this task, find/pay somebody experienced/qualified to do it.
m
l
a b V Motherboard
March 12, 2010 9:31:50 PM

Is it a fresh windows install or did you transfer the hard drive from another computer?
m
l
Related resources
a c 156 V Motherboard
March 12, 2010 11:23:53 PM

T_T said:
I suggest clearing CMOS, but know that this will restore the board to the build date. That means if there are any BIOS updates between build date and now, you'll need to flash your BIOS.

Not true. It will take you back to factory defaults of the last version you installed, if you installed any.
m
l
March 13, 2010 1:42:41 AM

aford10 said:
Is it a fresh windows install or did you transfer the hard drive from another computer?

This is a new build. A fresh everything. There has not been any OS installed. With repetitive pushing of the TAB key I can get to the POST screen. I can see that it recognizes my CPU and my RAM. No matter what key I press I can't get into BIOS. The mobo is a Gigabyte GA-MA785GT-UD3H with an AMD PhenomII X4 955 Black Edition processor. I hope this helps someone to help me! Thanks from a newbie!!!
m
l
March 13, 2010 3:47:31 AM

Just to let everyone know I have reset the CMOS and it did me no good at all. :( 
m
l
a b V Motherboard
March 13, 2010 4:51:23 AM

The delete key should get you into the BIOS.

Is it a USB keyboard? Do you have a PS2 keyboard you can test with?
m
l
March 13, 2010 11:21:32 AM

I have tried both. A USB keyboard will not do anything. I am on my second PS2 keyboard now.
m
l
a b V Motherboard
March 13, 2010 1:33:54 PM

USB may be disabled in the BIOS. With the PS2 keyboard try F1, F2, F8, or F11. Any luck with those?
m
l
March 13, 2010 2:00:52 PM

aford10 said:
USB may be disabled in the BIOS. With the PS2 keyboard try F1, F2, F8, or F11. Any luck with those?

Man I have tried all the function keys, both DEL keys, home, end, insert. The END is supposed to get into the Q Flash and I can't even do that. Any other ideas?
m
l
March 13, 2010 3:10:53 PM

When you see the Gigabyte mobo home screen you should see which key to press to enter the BIOS, maybe because of your screen resolution you cant see the text on the bottom of it. You could try to hit the TAB when you see the Gigabyte logo, maybe it will switch you to see the POST screen.
m
l
March 13, 2010 3:38:57 PM

DozR said:
When you see the Gigabyte mobo home screen you should see which key to press to enter the BIOS, maybe because of your screen resolution you cant see the text on the bottom of it. You could try to hit the TAB when you see the Gigabyte logo, maybe it will switch you to see the POST screen.

Yeah I've been there. Everything says the DEL key goes into the BIOS. It will not let me in though.
m
l
a b V Motherboard
March 13, 2010 6:44:32 PM

That's odd. Have you tried the USB keyboard in different USB ports?
m
l
March 14, 2010 12:08:40 AM

Yeah I have. I've tried it in the front ports and the rear ports also.
m
l
March 14, 2010 12:40:18 AM

sounds like you could have an issue with the mother board, processor, ram, or even the power supply. If you are using more than 1 stick of ram, remove one and see if it boots. If it does not swap the memory sticks and retry. If you have only 1 memory stick get another and test. Make sure the cpu fan is turning. Try another power supply. Bottom line is you have to go through a process of elimination and find out what is not working and replace that component
m
l
!