ILOVECOMPUTERS1

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2011
Do I need to overclock in order for my pc to run games smooth like a console (ex. XBOX 360)
SPECS
RAM: 8GB
VIDEO CARD:HIS ICEQX RADEON HD 6950
PROCESSOR: AMD PHENOM 2 BLACK EDITION(MULTI-CORE PROCESSOR)

JRock247

Distinguished
Dec 22, 2011

Overclocking will give you a boost in performance but you would need to focus on the GPU and not the CPU. It also helps having a good quality screen. There are a few progrmas out there to overclock your GPU, I use RivaTune for my NVidia card, think it works with ATI cards as well.

Iceycold

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2011
Slow down with caps buddy.

You will never be able to play a PC game as smooth as a console, I'm pretty sure consoles have some voodoo magic to make it seem like it's locked at 100 FPS.

Like Jrock said, you need to focus on getting a stronger graphics card for better performance, then go with upgrading the processor.

You can get a sandybridge cpu like the i5 2500k and do some nice overclocking there. Then for graphics card something like the new 500 TI series of NVIDIA, I'd wait for someone more experienced to answer.

Good Luck.

Wucked

Distinguished
Dec 21, 2011
Smooth like a console? Consoles, hardware wise, are utter crap now. They're still stuck back in 2005. You're Phenom II is hardly cutting edge, but even so its more powerful than anything you'll dig out of the inside of a console.

You don't NEED to overclock your CPU, but yes, it will help. And providing that you have a decent after market cooler fitted its also quite easy to do. Personally I would avoid messing with the graphics card though. CPU's are quite robust, you can push them quite hard and they generally don't fail that often. But graphics cards are comparatively fragile, especially when you start overclocking them, so just be careful.

mogen1000

Distinguished
Nov 28, 2011

Consoles have some voodoo magic of getting ~20 frames boy. Look at uncharted playstation.
Consoles run games on lowest settings possible.

Fortunex

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2009
Consoles are choppy as hell. They run at 25-40 FPS most of the time from what I've seen, despite mostly running at 720p or lower. An Athlon dual/tri core with a 6670 will outperform the consoles.

A 6950 and a Phenom 2 are more than enough to play games much better than the consoles

TRENDING THREADS