Sign in with
Your question

Broken Mobo?

Last response: in Motherboards
March 12, 2010 6:02:21 PM

Hi guys,

In the middle of the night I awoke to the sound of loud static from my PC speakers, & without thinking about it just got up and turned them off.

In the morning, wiggled the mouse and the screen didnt come out of standby.

I turned it off and on again but nothing.

I tried my monitor on a friends pc, it worked fine. I then tested my graphics card in his machine and it too worked.

The OS hdd is fine as I took it out and put it in a dock to get files.

Im rather puzzled & i believe it to be the motherboard as the fans and leds come on and it sounds like it wants to boot.

Any suggestions?

Its a ta780g m2+

Thanks for looking!!!

More about : broken mobo

March 12, 2010 6:26:54 PM

What do you mean by nothing? It doesnt turn on at all or it does but you get a blank screen? Is there any beeps. If the computer was still on in the morning aswell as the fans as usual than it seems like it didnt overheat, and the power supply must still be working. Try taking out the soundcard if its not totally onboard and try booting, than try taking out and swapping RAM, try using only 1-2 sticks.
m
l
March 12, 2010 7:41:01 PM

I mean it turns on and I only get a blank screen.

Sound board is onboard - I swapped RAM and put only 1 stick in but still nothing ie blank screen. All HDDs and optical drives sound normal too.

Lame.
m
l
Related resources
a b V Motherboard
March 12, 2010 7:49:59 PM

equal posibility - PSU. Can you try a 2nd PSU.
m
l
March 12, 2010 8:18:01 PM

I really don't think its the PSU, I only bought it brand new a month ago! But I will try, thank you
m
l
a b V Motherboard
March 12, 2010 8:36:22 PM

I noted that you didn't specify what your PSU was. There are tons of post on PSUs and the quality ratings of some are very bad. For what its worth even good PSUs fail quickly, just not as often as some of the ones that should only be used as door stops.

If you are unsure of your PSUs rating try doinf a google on it and look for some reviews.

Have to go bowling, good luck.
m
l
March 13, 2010 10:39:16 AM

The Biostar TA780G M2+ is apparently plagued with faulty SATA controllers which seem to fail randomly after 1 year or so of ownership. Do a google search on the motherboard and SATA controller and see what you come up with. That said, I do not know if this is your problem but it sure sounds like it.
m
l
March 13, 2010 11:30:10 PM

Specs:

Windows 7 x86
AMD 9850 quad
8GB Samsung DDR2 (4x 2GB)
1TB WD caviar
500W jeantech PSU (although Ive seen its actually 420W)

and a broken ta780g m2+...

I googled the sata connector issue, apparently its rare people have them working for more than 18 months - about the time ive had mine!

Guess a new one is a must.

Can anybody suggest a decent replacement?
m
l
March 13, 2010 11:34:11 PM

+ ATI Sapphire 4870
m
l
April 15, 2010 7:42:04 PM

Hi all,

Apologies for bringing such an old thread up again, I've been away for ages and only recently finished my dissertation thus a lack of free time!

Following the helpful posts here, I went and bought a new motherboard, an ASROCK A790GMH/128M

Again I stress that I have not had much time recently to fiddle around with things, but after I installed the new mobo I still had the same problem that it would not boot (fans, leds, GPU and HDD all have power) with nothing being displayed on the monitor.

This had led me to the conclusion that it is probably the CPU (again sorry :non:  old thread, wrong category) but having just spent what little money I have on a mobo I may not have needed, I am reluctant to purchase a new cpu!

Is it likely a broken CPU would behave in this manor?

Any other comments or advice would be greatly appreciated!!

Thanks for looking
m
l
!