Sign in with
Your question

Windows Ready Boost

Last response: in Storage
July 26, 2011 8:43:52 PM

RAM: 1066 DDR3 8G's
CPU: Phenom II x4 820 2.80Ghz
HDD: SATA 1TB 5400RPM Transfer Rate 3Gb's (Internal)

Hew guys my question is the following:

Would Dedicating a 16Gig USB 2.0 Flash drive to Windows Ready Boost, boost my pc's performance?

P.S As you guyz can tell im a newb, my friend told me it would boost my performance a bit, but he failed to explain how it worked, so a slight explanation would also be appreciated,

More about : windows ready boost

a c 415 G Storage
July 26, 2011 9:09:22 PM

Generic USB flash drives are by and large pretty slow, with typical write speeds of around 2-5MByte/sec. I doubt it would help very much.
m
l
July 26, 2011 9:10:29 PM

I don't think you will notice any difference. You have enough RAM and running a decent CPU. It's for those who have like 1gb RAM or less. Vista and Window 7 run better on 4gb of RAM.
m
l
Related resources
July 26, 2011 9:17:01 PM

I tough it might help with write speed a little and other stuff, my HDD is pretty big and it's sometimes slow when writing large files and bringing up that info.

I guess the best thing i can do is defragmentation, and error scans a few times a year to keep it up to speed.

P.S I seen my HDD Fragmentation go up to 25%, after i have installed a few large Game files 3-10 gigs, is that normal?
m
l
a c 415 G Storage
July 26, 2011 11:50:49 PM

25% seems on the high side to me.
m
l
July 27, 2011 4:34:54 AM

sminlal said:
25% seems on the high side to me.

I tough the same thing, It only got that high once, after i installed about 30 gb's worth of games, but still installing 30 gigs of info shouldn't have bumped it so high. Well i guess il just keep a close eye on the fragmentation.
m
l
September 27, 2011 12:00:09 PM

I am looking into this ready boost thing also.

All I can say is that given your system its supposed to increase performance on 4k random reads and even smaller reads.

in this respect almost any flash drive will beat a regular hard drive by 20 times or more.

so to say it would not help at all is something I would not say unless I had actually tried it before.

Have any of you guys tried it?
m
l
September 27, 2011 12:01:10 PM

p.s. right now my pc will not let me try it.
because i just removed a ssd from my system recently.
m
l
September 27, 2011 10:01:03 PM

alohascott said:
p.s. right now my pc will not let me try it.
because i just removed a ssd from my system recently.

I haven't looked for more info regarding Ready Boost, i gave up on finding more about it, atm i tough i could just get a second 7200RPM HDD, since my current HD is getting more and more data stored day by day, cause of my constant game installs XD.
m
l
October 15, 2011 3:37:45 PM

hmm
I changed my OS to server 2008 and I don't think it has ready boost function
m
l
October 16, 2011 3:49:20 PM

I also searched the internet on that topic because i use it on my i-5 sandy bridge with 8 gb ram..tomshardware, wikipedia have an article bout this. As an 8GB user we cannot feel it like on the <2gb ram system. But you can actually monitor the read and write operations in the resource monitor or in the drive meter gadget.
m
l
October 16, 2011 4:11:01 PM

but with an 8gb ram, superfetch is really good. and readyboost compliments the superfetch with extra memory. true sequential read/write of hdd is fast but random read/write is a lot better in flash memory.
on my first notebook toshiba satellite (dual core pentium, 2gb usable ram) i used it and in one case it add my winsat aero graphic assessment with +.1 :)  dont know why maybe because of superfetch/readyboost.
just weeks ago i dedicated two flash memory on my new samsung netbook (atom with 1gb usable ram) and saw results. also in the winsat aero graphic asessment i found additional +.1.just have to repeat the test to cached it in memory.
m
l
October 16, 2011 4:19:30 PM

and even here on sandy bridge i-5 notebook. i did the winsat test twice to improve the score by +.1. so i believe superfetch works (and make use of 8gb ram) and readyboost for random read/write during heavy disk activity.
m
l
October 16, 2011 11:47:29 PM

nice
some advice from people who have actually tried it!
m
l
!