Vraptor+ssd with Z68

soulfringe

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2008
Got a 2500k and a Z68 motherboard being delivered tomorrow (my birthday!wooo hoo for presents to self)

With the Z68 it's possibly to combine an SSD with an HDD, making use of the SSD as cache and the HDD as the storage.

So with that in mind, I was wondering how effective would it be to combine my SSD ( a 40GB IntelV) with a VelociRaptor (considering purchasing). Would this be a considerable increase in performance than with the VelociRaptor by itself, or if I just combine the SSD with a standard 7200RPM SATA HDD?

Good question.

The velociraptor was a fine drive in it's time, particularly the 300gb and 600gb models.
Because of the 10k rpm, access times were better and so it's best use was as a OS drive.

But today, any SSD, even your 40gb drive will be 5-10x faster as a OS drive.
Since you already own one, I would go ahead and use it as the OS drive.

Because it is small, you will have to put the overflow on a conventional hard drive.
Don't get a velociraptor for that. Despite the 10k rpm, they are slower in data transfer than the newer 1tb drives.
That is because the larger drives are denser, and transfer more data per revolution.
WD black and Samsung are the best performers.

Using the ssd as a cache is sort of in between. Not as good as a pure ssd, but better than a pure hard drive.

In time, look for a 20gb Intel SLC drive to use as the cache.