Coolermaster hyper 212 plus/2500k issue

nate_09

Distinguished
May 14, 2009
I recently got a hyper 212 plus, monday, using it on a 2500k, max temp on any core went up to 63 degrees Celsius using intel burn test, maximum settings, at stock speeds, this is after a 2nd try n seating the cooler. before it was 66. When overclocked to 4.5ghz @ 1.332 volts, temps rocket high n my sytem begins to shut down because i have set the shutdown temp to 85 just to be safe. Are these temps normal? there was a slight indent on one of the heat pipes, im not sure if it could be significant enough to be an issue.
Here's what i'm talking about:

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

nate_09

Distinguished
May 14, 2009

Are there any other solutions? is that dent the reason for poor performance (IMO), and altho you only have thatpic to make judgments on, what can help? Read a little about lapping..possible solution? Or nt? Returning it is a last resort because it well may coast more than i paid for it in shipping because I'm from outside the US.

nate_09

Distinguished
May 14, 2009

Are there any other solutions? is that dent the reason for poor performance (IMO), and altho you only have thatpic to make judgments on, what can help? Read a little about lapping..possible solution? Or nt? Returning it is a last resort because it well may coast more than i paid for it in shipping because I'm from outside the US.

Nothing really wrong with your temps imo.
Try decreasing your cpu voltage a tad.
Also very little paste is required when installing.

geo22

Distinguished
Dec 22, 2011
hi i am looking to buy that cooler. is this the reason they have come out with the evo. newegg did a comparison of the two and it appears the only change is were the copper coils contact the cpu they are flattened so those spaces you see between the coils is gone they touch each other the thermal paste does not go up between the coils. do you no if this helps the efficency of the cooler

Nantes

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2012

While the design of the Evo in regards to contact with the processor is probably better, they also for some reason reduced the max rotation of the fan from 2000 to 1600 RPM, so the Evo might just be a worse heatsink, and more expensive too!

To the OP: The usual performance for the 212 Hyper is around 80C in burn-in tests and 60-65C while gaming, even when overclocked. When does the processor reach 85C? Burn-in tests or gaming?