Sign in with
Your question

Question

Last response: in Storage
July 27, 2011 3:17:07 AM

I know it sounds like a really dumb question but i just have to know sorry for asking. You cannot join the hard drives together unless they are identical hard drives right?

More about : question

July 27, 2011 11:04:23 PM

Erm are you talking about a raid array being setup?
July 29, 2011 4:46:26 PM

Lutfij said:
Erm are you talking about a raid array being setup?

yeah
Related resources
July 30, 2011 3:14:42 PM

correct!

If your running RAID 1, 0 , 5 or 10 you need to have identical drives... doesn't matter what serial number but the model number is essential!

e.g: when i setup my raid 1 array, i picked up two 500GB WD caviar greens, and the only difference was that both serial numbers were just one digit apart. I made sure of that when purchasing from the retailer.
a c 415 G Storage
July 30, 2011 5:02:40 PM

Actually with most RAID controllers the drives don't need to be identical - you can mix drives of different speeds, manufacturers or capacities. But if you mix drives of different capacities then most RAID controllers will only use the space of the smallest drive. For example if you join a 500GB drive and a 1TB drive in a RAID-0 set then only 500GB of the 1TB drive will be used.
July 30, 2011 5:26:45 PM

realli? i cant seem to join my two hard drives together. I spent whole day trying to install the drivers and everything for raid, even reformatted my computer and in the end i was still unable to join the 2 hard drives so i came to the conclusion that the two hard drives are incompatible to be joined together.
a c 415 G Storage
July 30, 2011 6:52:58 PM

What RAID controller are you using? Is it motherboard RAID? If so, which chipset?
July 30, 2011 8:22:29 PM

:)  yeah, sminlal's right in the latter post.

@ OP - system specs please! :) 
August 1, 2011 8:09:13 AM

sminlal said:
What RAID controller are you using? Is it motherboard RAID? If so, which chipset?

Sorry for the late reply. Here are the specs. Im trying to setup raid if even possible on a P6T mobo with x58 express chipset. I installed intel rapid storage technology as my driver from the intel site. I dont know why i cant combine the two.

Edit: Does anyone know why i cant enter the OPTION ROM USER INTERFACE where most asus mobo's you just press ctrl+I to enter it and when I reboot my computer it gives me no option to enter the option rom user interface. I spam ctrl+I also and nothing happens, i did change the bios settings to raid already and i have no idea why i cant enter the option rom user interface. Nothing happens at startup. thanks~

* 10. ENTERING THE OPTION ROM USER INTERFACE

Use the following steps to enter the Intel(R) Rapid Storage Technology
Manager - option ROM user interface:

1. Boot the system.
2. Press CTRL-I when the
'Intel(R) Rapid Storage Technology - option ROM vX.y.w.zzzz'
banner screen appears.

and i also correctly installed the driver as well. according to this and it says i correctly installed raid driver.

* 6. VERIFYING INSTALLATION OF THE SOFTWARE
9. Click 'Driver Details'.
10. If the 'iaStor.sys' file is displayed, the installation
was successful.

a c 415 G Storage
August 1, 2011 3:15:08 PM

Are you trying to set up the RAID set within Windows? I think you should be doing it at the BIOS level. Have you tried pressing <F2> or <Del> during the BIOS startup to bring up the BIOS configuration menu?
August 1, 2011 5:16:47 PM

yes i already went into the Bios and configured it by pressing <Del> and changed the storage configuration to Raid. I cannot enter the interface after you configure your bios and where your supposedly pressing ctrl+I.

This menu:

Found it on the internet.

EDIT: I also found a problem with my intel rapid storage technology driver. It only detects one hard drive. Where is my 2nd hard drive?

- i have two hard drives
- only detects one hard drive. As you can see port 3 is missing, that is where i plugged in my second hard drive.

found another picture on the internet:- isnt this how it suppose to look??? How come mine doesnt detect the second hard drive. Any1 know why?
August 1, 2011 9:22:53 PM

so in BIOS, your drives are visible? but in windows they gone pooff?

have you plugged the invisible HDD into another sata port or tried it on another machine to see if its still alive?

can we have entire system specs? all you gave us was the mobo and chipset info. Entire system specs please.

lastly, your mobo is dodgy, would suggest re-installing windows with the latest ICH10R drivers and give it a go. but i think, you've already done that...

RMA mobo if its within warranty.

*why are you finding screens from the internet? :) , we know what the intel RST manage screen will look like when you have a raid array or not :D 
August 2, 2011 1:45:40 AM

System specs: 64-bit windows 7
CPU: Intel i7 930
Mobo: Asus P6T
Video Card: Radeon 5870
Ummm not sure what else you need. PSU shouldnt matter right?
Hard drive are both SATA hard drives. 1 tb and 1 500gb

the hard drive works 100%.
Am i suppose to install ich10r? i thought the intel rapid storage technology was basically a replacement for that driver so i wouldnt need it!
Huh? Whats wrong with my motherboard? =/
If you need anything else tell me.
"so in BIOS, your drives are visible? but in windows they gone pooff?"
Im not sure its just thats what i think the driver is saying. Despite all that the 2nd driver is working functionally i can easily put files in it and out without any problems.
August 2, 2011 3:49:06 AM

:S

PSU does matter :) 

The ICH10R is an onboard raid controller on your mobo. Windows 7 doesn't recognize it, so it loads its own generic drivers for the ICH10R chip and thas what usually send posters here on the storage threads.

Even i went through the same ordeal while setting up a raid array while i was a noob.

During reinstall of win7;
go into BIOS and select SATA configuration as RAID, save settings
format
select drive partition
during drive selection select disk drivers tab and install the drivers for the ICH10R chip. (its a zip file found at the FTP servers @ asus for your mobo)

once install is complete install Intel RST(its essentially the same as matrix storage manager but with a better GUI) i recommend 10.5 or above. You'll thank me later when you'll get an SSD down the road.

Quote:
Im not sure its just thats what i think the driver is saying. Despite all that the 2nd driver is working functionally i can easily put files in it and out without any problems.
when i mean't if its seen in bios.

Drivers can sometimes be dodgy either being corrupt or being badly written.(i'll rule out badly written as its done nothing to me on both my machines running Intel RST)

when you go into sata configuration, you'll notice a list of sata ports starting from 0 through to 6(or more if you have more) opposite them you'll find the drives - you can tell from the numberings.

Edit
BTW;
Quote:
Hard drive are both SATA hard drives. 1 tb and 1 500gb

are you planning on running raid with these two drives? What raid would you want to run?

I think the problems just about surfacing...:/

Quote:
Huh? Whats wrong with my motherboard? =/

we'll see in a while.
August 2, 2011 4:12:29 AM

Oh ic so the reason why i cant do raid is because i didnt install the ich10r driver? i have those files in my motherboard but the intel RST says that im also suppose to install the driver prior to reformatting. im doing raid 0.
August 2, 2011 5:19:01 AM

and you also plan on installing win7 on that RAID 0 array?

if so then the setup will be a little complicated.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RAID in case you want to know what raid you THINK you want to run and its disadvantages.

and yeah you'll need exactly similar drives for both RAID 1 and 0 since you'll be running off the ICH10R. One more point to note is - using RAID 0 array will entitle you to loose all data as they are stripped when either drive fails. You only have 2 drives and you'll loose all data while creating the RAID array in the first place.

sorry for all this long talk, just want you to know what you're getting into. Its your data and your skull you want to crack open in frustration later on :) 
August 2, 2011 5:57:16 AM

Lutfij said:
and you also plan on installing win7 on that RAID 0 array?

if so then the setup will be a little complicated.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RAID in case you want to know what raid you THINK you want to run and its disadvantages.

and yeah you'll need exactly similar drives for both RAID 1 and 0 since you'll be running off the ICH10R. One more point to note is - using RAID 0 array will entitle you to loose all data as they are stripped when either drive fails. You only have 2 drives and you'll loose all data while creating the RAID array in the first place.

sorry for all this long talk, just want you to know what you're getting into. Its your data and your skull you want to crack open in frustration later on :) 

I did read everything about raid and stuff i just wanted the performance as for the data and everything idc really. I've reformatted my computers so many times losing all my data.
Is it that bad to do raid on win7? Is there something better?
Btw i checked asus website and no ich10r driver i do have it on the mobo cd but im not sure if its up to date =/.
http://support.asus.com/download.aspx?SLanguage=en&m=P6...

"Its your data and your skull you want to crack open in frustration later on"
Hopefully you can enlighten the surface that i crack that skull on so it wont hurt as much ^^" =PP! The longer this takes for me to make it work the more i feel achieved later when i get it to work! And thanks so much for your help! Always loved this community.
August 2, 2011 6:33:49 AM

Lutfij said:
http://www.intel.com/p/en_US/support/highlights/chpsts/...
page for your drivers - if needed

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/132-63-windows-raid
here's how to do the install - scroll down a few posts before the thread ends, you'll be there.

hope these help

Only see the Intel RST which i already installed do i need jmicron + marvell? BTW i did exactly what that told me already. The only thing that you told me b4 is about the ich10r driver. Is it different from the intel RST cause i installed the Intel RST driver priorr to the installtion and followed exactly what it told me 2 do instead of an ich10r driver.
August 2, 2011 6:45:55 AM

nope, you don't need those drivers if you're not using the ports.

come to think of it, did you put the drive in the correct port? i mean one that isn't connected to the marvel or jmicron chips?

Quote:
Is it different from the intel RST

look bro, Intel RST is a software that displays your raid array setup. Before you can go ahead with it, you need Windows 7 to recognize the chipset (ICH10R) thas on your mobo via a driver file; http://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?Produc...

download it, upload it on a flash stick/drive and during win7 install select driver disk to install drivers from usb

the 6 red ports are the ones hooked up to the ICH10R chip
August 2, 2011 6:56:47 AM

Thanks ill reformat my computer now using the ich10r driver and yeah i pluged it into the 6 red ports on my mobo correctly. kkz thanks hopefully itll work now :D 

EDIT: after dling the file and looking at it, inside has the iaStor.sys.

Didnt i already installed that? as shown in this picture:
August 2, 2011 6:45:52 PM

the one you have, was it installed during windows 7 installation(when you arrive at the select disk page) or were the regardless of your intervention? or was it installed after you ran the Intel RST Program?
August 2, 2011 7:52:42 PM

Lutfij said:
the one you have, was it installed during windows 7 installation(when you arrive at the select disk page) or were the regardless of your intervention? or was it installed after you ran the Intel RST Program?

It wont let me install RST unless i preinstall that so i had to install it at the os installation by using f6.
August 2, 2011 7:56:09 PM

Quote:
It wont let me install RST unless i preinstall that so i had to install it at the os installation by using f6.

:)  then your on your way to setup the raid. btw, you have to set it up via ctrl+i at raid rom

sorry to make you feel like a noob :/ 

Intel RST installs its drivers automatically for hardware that came since P55 chipsets.

Just to be sure, you downloaded the drivers for Intel RST 10.6 and installed it via F6, right? it doesn't matter if its iaStor.sys The real difference is the contents of that .sys file
August 2, 2011 9:51:06 PM

Lutfij said:
Quote:

:)  then your on your way to setup the raid. btw, you have to set it up via ctrl+i at raid rom

sorry to make you feel like a noob :/ 

Intel RST installs its drivers automatically for hardware that came since P55 chipsets.

Just to be sure, you downloaded the drivers for Intel RST 10.6 and installed it via F6, right? it doesn't matter if its iaStor.sys The real difference is the contents of that .sys file

I just reformatted no luck. Same exact results.

EDIT: I GOT IT TO WORK!! Apparently i plugged one of the hard drives in the wrong port on the mobo. So the mobo was reading one of the hard drives as an [ide] instead of [raid] ( dont know what that means). So if you cannot go into your Rom interface then you: 1) need to have more than one hard drive and 2) have to plug it in the correct spot on the mobo even though the ports on the mobo are the same exact color and nearly on the same exact spot. Thanks for all the help and sorry for the trouble. Question is solved. Thread can be closed. Thanks again.
August 3, 2011 11:46:59 AM

Quote:
the 6 red ports are the ones hooked up to the ICH10R chip
i thought you said you hooked it up correct :/ 
a b G Storage
August 3, 2011 2:59:19 PM

Maybe I'm missing something, but when you said the Intel controller only showed 1 an intact RAID 1 array consisting of 2 drives. Are you sure this wasn't working as a RAID 1 array?
!