GTX 3xx Series Cards

ElectroGoofy

Distinguished
Aug 3, 2009
Hello all :)

Ok, I am in the market for a computer and am trying to decide on a videa card and have been hearing about how good ATI's 5xxx series is and was curious about some different things with Nvidia's 3xx series. So here are some questions:

Anybody know of an exact (and if not that, an approximate) release date?
Anybody know how they will compare with ATI's 5xxx series?
Anybody know of an approximate price?

Just basically any and all information about them would be greatly appreciated! :D

Thanks in advance! :D

No one knows a damn thing about the nVidia cards except they will be out eventually, there are no even semi reliable rumors about them, the sites posting the rumors tend to contradict themselves in the next article. You can also expect them to be significantly more than the ATI cards.

1ce

Distinguished
May 29, 2009
Keep waiting.....it's anybody's best guess as to when GT3xx will be released. MAYBE this year, but frankly I would be surprised if they are available in any quantity this year.

As for performance, there isn't enough information floating around. The chip is quite larger, and has more memory bandwidth than the Radeon 5xxx series. But there are too many unknowns to say for sure. If I had to pull a number out of my nose, I'd say it will be 30% faster than the Radeon 5870.

That brings us to price. Being that the chip is significantly larger than the 5870, and it has a larger memory bus (translation: more expensive PCB board), I would be shocked to see it available for under $500 US.

1ce

Distinguished
May 29, 2009
Nice rig btw....I have one almost exactly like that. I just bought some more RAM for it on Monday because my parents are still wanting to use it :p

Single channel RAM, isn't that a thing of the past.

cheesesubs

Distinguished
Oct 8, 2009

it's gonna be "when it's done" any rumor either made by fanboy or ati people to be look "good"/"overkill" or conspiracy of "make fun about it"(ati people always done that.......). which personally dont believe it will release anytime soon...

since g200 had push the architecture to its limit and nvidia had losing money ever since. any new develop would require amounts of fund which nvidia is not big enough for it. they are also in fabrication disadvantage while amd can get new tech in first hand while nvidia have to play catch up. and not to mention they a lot of resource on soc field and later x86 platform(they still don't give up on that yet.) the only thing they can do is what amd did in the last few years when they merge with ati. cut down price and rebrand the low cost older, mature technology because g200 is too costly still and it has trouble with 40nm fab while g92 had more flaxiblity. and start over at begining again.

or they can just overdose some random new design(put as much rop/tmu/shader into current g200 as possible) and end up to be another FX series.

werxen

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2008
its all speculation from nvidia fanboys as to what exactly the gt300 cards ARE. nvidia has released some bogus figures here and there (like they always do....) about how amazing this series is. from what i heard they have really screwed up the architecture of their new designs - having 9 gpus out of a whole wafer considered proper. i used to like nvidia a lot and my first card ever was a geforce 4 titanium... but wow have they got their ass kicked as of late by ATi.

ElectroGoofy

Distinguished
Aug 3, 2009

Ok, may as well go with a 275 or maybe a 5870 if that approximation is acurate. Thanks :)

Yup, slower than molasses in January, especially since it is 133mhz ;)
I do 3D work and the render times are crazy :ouch:

Oh, ok, thanks! :D

Toi be fair, the whole wafer affair isn't shocking for that stage, nevermind the source of said articles notable anti-NVIDIA bias...

Everything on the G300 points to a december-january release, with slightly greater then 5870 performance. We won't know for sure until the card comes out of course, but those seem to be the signals...

G

im sure that nvidia has game benchmarks but their are waiting ati to release 5870x2 card to see it performance and then we will see more from nvidia. so better wait.

G

little behind...gtx 295 is faster than 5870 in 3D games and you say that gt 300 will be slower than 5870...better dont write anymore it doesnt have any sence...

hallowed_dragon

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2008
little behind...gtx 295 is faster than 5870 in 3 games and you say that gt 300 will be slower than 5870...better dont write anymore it doesnt have any sence...

John..do you read what you write? 3 games??? :na: And you consider that a win? Wait until OCed versions of 5870 come which will incredibly be...CHEAPER than the 295...with greater performance. And regarding Fermi...please show me a game benchmark...any game...Show me where those 3 billion transistors blow away the 5870. As jamesgoddard said it is anybody's guess, so why your opinion should be the right one?

G

that is simple logic: if gtx 295 ( old generation) is faster than 5870 or it match it than why gt 300 will be slower than 5870...that doesnt have any sence

rangers

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2007
the only person that does not have sense on here is you, you go on about a card that has not been released yet, yes it could be faster than the 5870 or it could be slower and remember its not even a DX11 card

jamesgoddard

Distinguished
Nov 12, 2005
Well the 5870 is sometimes slower than the old generation 4870x2.... As you said 'that doesn’t have any sence'

You can't compare the g200 and g300 architecture, from what I get the feeling, g300 is going to be horribly inefficient with its 3 billion transistors as they have tried to chase down the GPGPU market and have partially taken their eye of the traditional 3D market.

So.... for my 2010 prediction

ATI will clean up the gaming market, the 5xxx are the chips ATI wanted to punt from the very start when Direct x 10 was brought in, but Nvidia had is hissy fit, this chip has been in design therefore for the last 5 years....

Nvidia will try to tackle the super computer market with their super GPGPU chip...

....But fail as Intel's Larabee ultimately takes all the GPGPU market with its native x86 coding.

Direct X 11 games will come out in droves, as the programming interface has been much streamlined thus saving huge amount of developer time.

Developers will take to open source physics API's like openCL - and more importantly MS's 'Direct Compute' - the days for CUDA and PhysX are well and truly numbered (huge mistake Nvidia made making then proprietary).

Nvidia will struggle on with its currently profitable chipset (aka ION) products, but as socket 775 dies, and the Atom goes SoC, there last profitable avenue will be taken from them.

Sometime in 2011 Nvidia are bleeding cash, and fold or are taken over by Intel, having missed the market direction completely.

hallowed_dragon

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2008
that is simple logic: if gtx 295 ( old generation) is faster than 5870 or it match it than why gt 300 will be slower than 5870...that doesnt have any sence

Reasons why GT 300 might be slower than 58xx:
- nVidia's response to Dx11 - "not that important";
- GPU power shifted to supercomputing and "maybe" games;
- lack of tessalation;

So, there are reasons why it can be slower. There are reasons to think it will be faster but with a premium price. But the lack of any information regarding this new generation of cards from nVidia (except Fudzilla - which is not a reliable source of news) makes any opinion a fanboy opinion. Until serious evidence we cant say anything. I for one wish the GT 300 will be faster just so I can buy the 5850 cheaper :D.

G

not dx 11 card how do you know...source

jamesgoddard

Distinguished
Nov 12, 2005
G300 will be Direct X 11 compatible, and probably Direct X 12 or whatever comes next compatible. The reason for this (and the reason for the inefficiency as I see it) is Nvidia making the chip a more general CPU like workhorse, basically it's Direct X 11 combatable because the software it's running is, it's like a big software emulation chip where as the ATI cards are dedicated hardware through and through.... G300 will do tessellation, as again it will do whatever you program it's CPU / GPGPU's to do - but without a DEDICATED HARDWARE, tessellation will take somewhat of a performance hit, where the ATI cards have it for free.

rangers

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2007
not dx 11 card how do you know...source

In the R870, if you compare the time it takes to render 1 Million triangles from 250K using the tesselator, it will take a bit longer than running those same 1 Million triangles through without the tesselator. Tesselation takes no shader time, so other than latency and bandwidth, there is essentially zero cost. If ATI implemented things right, and remember, this is generation four of the technology, things should be almost transparent.

Contrast that with the GT300 approach. There is no dedicated tesselator, and if you use that DX11 feature, it will take large amounts of shader time, used inefficiently as is the case with general purpose hardware. You will then need the same shaders again to render the triangles. 250K to 1 Million triangles on the GT300 should be notably slower than straight 1 Million triangles.

http://www.theinquirer.net/inquirer/news/1137331/a-look-nvidia-gt300-architecture

no Tesselation=no DX11

G

did you see who write this article and how is that old...poor charlie...he is paid to screw nvidia
not interested in what this "writer" has to say about nv...

G

just read this the same thing from the same person...
http://www.semiaccurate.com/2009/10/06/nvidia-kills-gtx285-gtx275-gtx260-abandons-mid-and-high-end-market/