Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Radeon HD 4350 Overclocking

Last response: in Overclocking
December 23, 2011 12:47:46 PM

Hi,
I have an Asus EAH4350 1GB Silent (Radeon HD 4350). I know it's not much, so I started overclocking about 2 weeks ago.
I first used AMD Overdrive, but I now use RivaTuner.My core is now running at 705 MHz instead of 600, and the memory is at 475 Mhz instead of 400. Any more than 487, and it becomes really unstable, and often starts freezing. I wanted to know if this is the limit to which I can overclock my GPU.
a c 114 U Graphics card
a b K Overclocking
December 23, 2011 12:57:35 PM

That sounds about right(To be honest its very good for a card of its type.). Have you tried to add some cooling to it? Just a fan pointing at if or just on the side panel of your case pointing at it.

To be honest, At stock that card is very slow, I may go as far as to say slower then the IGP on a 2600K. I have on for media center and it worked great(but added a 5770 for some gaming)
m
l
December 23, 2011 2:36:11 PM

There is a fan attached to the cabinet, but the GPU doesn't have one, just a heatsink. So does the memory depend on the temperature? RivaTuner shows the safe limit for the core as 750MHZ, and I've taken it up to 730MHz once. But there is a noticeable effect only when I overclock the memory.
m
l
Related resources
a c 114 U Graphics card
a b K Overclocking
December 23, 2011 3:56:18 PM

Memory does not tend to overclock as well as the gpu it self.

I know it has no fan(I have the same card for media playback). I picked on up for just that reason, but as you overclock, some airflow will help it not get too hot.
m
l
December 23, 2011 4:01:43 PM

So that's the limit to which I can overclock my GPU, right? Darn.

So... what else can I overclock? :sarcastic:  I think I've become a bit addicted to overclocking.

m
l
a c 114 U Graphics card
a b K Overclocking
December 23, 2011 4:08:26 PM

overclock the cpu :) 
m
l
December 25, 2011 6:31:11 PM

Is there some way I can overclock the memory more, like increasing the voltage?
m
l
a c 114 U Graphics card
a b K Overclocking
December 25, 2011 7:24:12 PM

People use MSI afterburner even on non msi cards(can adjust voltage on many cards, not sure about a 4350), but it you push voltage too far, you will certainly burn the card out.
m
l
a c 173 U Graphics card
a b K Overclocking
December 25, 2011 8:57:10 PM

dont overclock anything that has passive cooling like that card, they will everheat under full load even without overclocking. it will heat up too much and you will fry your card. Unless you can fit a fan to it somehow just leave it alone. The first thing you need to do is get a program that will monitor the cards temperature, HWmonitor is good, but that card may not have a tepmperature sensor, being a low end card.
m
l
a c 114 U Graphics card
a b K Overclocking
December 25, 2011 11:24:14 PM

The card has temperature a sensor, I have the same card in a media center and it does not overheat at stock even if I attempt to game on it. Asus has ensured to that with more then enough heatsink for a card of such low power.

I have overclocked many older passive cards just with the aid of a fan(but it was in the Geforce2 - 4 days).

I do agree to keep an eye on the temperatures.
m
l
December 26, 2011 3:29:30 AM

What would a safe voltage limit be? GPU-Z shows the current voltage to be 1.120V, and the temperature hasn't gone above 85C, even after 7 hours of Crysis at 1280x960, High settings, medium shadows.
m
l

Best solution

a c 114 U Graphics card
a b K Overclocking
December 26, 2011 3:38:55 AM

85 is getting pretty toasty(I do not remember it getting that hot on stock speeds). Since not to many people overclock that card, I can not say what voltage is best, I would say you are close to the limits already.

To be honest, once you get too far it is going to kill the card. I say be happy with what you have. And if you can get any old fan blowing on the card, it will help cool it and make it last as long as it can.
a c 173 U Graphics card
a b K Overclocking
December 26, 2011 8:51:03 AM

you should be able to screw any old fan you have lying around that fits to the fins of the heatsink and have the fan power coming from a molex fan power adaptor. It's a piece of cake.
m
l
December 27, 2011 3:02:22 AM

OK, I'll get a fan attached and resign myself to my fate. :( 
m
l
December 30, 2011 10:26:54 AM

Best answer selected by Thornyjohny.
m
l
August 31, 2012 4:00:54 AM

Thornyjohny said:
Hi,
I have an Asus EAH4350 1GB Silent (Radeon HD 4350). I know it's not much, so I started overclocking about 2 weeks ago.
I first used AMD Overdrive, but I now use RivaTuner.My core is now running at 705 MHz instead of 600, and the memory is at 475 Mhz instead of 400. Any more than 487, and it becomes really unstable, and often starts freezing. I wanted to know if this is the limit to which I can overclock my GPU.

Hey Thornyjohny,

Since we are both using the Asus EAH4350 (but mine is the lower-grade 512Mb version :(  ), I was wondering, how did you overclock the GPU ? I'm a newbie to o/clocking & this baby is the 1st attempt at a 1st attempt. Clue me in, will ya ? Thanks a \\\/// (bunch !)
m
l
a c 114 U Graphics card
a b K Overclocking
August 31, 2012 5:44:07 AM

Best to start with CCC under Performance. If you want to go for more, Riva Tuner is what the OP used.

http://www.guru3d.com/category/rivatuner/

Riva Tuner has much more then just overclocking. It has fan control(useless for you), hardware monitoring and many more settings.

If you hit a clock rate you can not pass, you add a bit of voltage. Be warned that too much voltage will toast the card.

Please place a fan heat the cards heatsink to keep it cool as overclocking will heat it up faster.
m
l
September 6, 2012 10:56:41 AM

Quality Guy said:
Hey Thornyjohny,

Since we are both using the Asus EAH4350 (but mine is the lower-grade 512Mb version :(  ), I was wondering, how did you overclock the GPU ? I'm a newbie to o/clocking & this baby is the 1st attempt at a 1st attempt. Clue me in, will ya ? Thanks a \\\/// (bunch !)

nukemaster said:
Best to start with CCC under Performance. If you want to go for more, Riva Tuner is what the OP used.

http://www.guru3d.com/category/rivatuner/

Riva Tuner has much more then just overclocking. It has fan control(useless for you), hardware monitoring and many more settings.

If you hit a clock rate you can not pass, you add a bit of voltage. Be warned that too much voltage will toast the card.

Please place a fan heat the cards heatsink to keep it cool as overclocking will heat it up faster.

I took the core up to 750 MHz without any problems, I think I can push it even further. But the memory hits a wall at 490, at which point the system locks up with yellow dots appearing all over the screen. I start getting artifacts and crashes at around 470 MHz.
The problem is the cooling, however. With the core at 750MHz, the temperatures (under load) go upto ~90C :sweat: 
I installed a small fan right above the card, and that's helped the temps a lot.
Oh, and I tried to voltmod, but it turns out I was already running at the maximum voltage, and I could only decrease the voltage, not increase it. :( 
PS: This was probably a good thing, because if I had voltmodded, I probably would have ended up starting a fire in the case! :D 
m
l
a c 114 U Graphics card
a b K Overclocking
September 6, 2012 2:44:56 PM

90c now that is toasty. I am almost sure stock does not go much past the low 60s

I would not go any farther.
m
l
September 6, 2012 3:40:31 PM

On stock, mine is between 50 to 60 at idle, and ~70 under load.
Just out of curiosity, is it really possible to start a fire in your computer?[:randomizer]
m
l
a c 114 U Graphics card
a b K Overclocking
September 6, 2012 9:13:32 PM

If a power supply has an issue or a cpu(older)/gpu(not willing to test) looses the heatsink it can burn, but very rarely will you get a fire.

By the same right, a CFL light bulb can also catch fire. extremely rare, but can happen.
m
l
September 7, 2012 6:16:28 PM

nukemaster said:
extremely rare, but can happen.

Nice.

m
l
!