Sign in with
Your question
Closed

ASUS P7P55D BIOS Upgrade

Last response: in Storage
July 27, 2011 8:04:49 AM

I have an Asus P7P55D mother board which has an Intel ICH8R RAID controller. I have a 1TB disk as the boot disk and 4 x 2TB disks configured as a RAID 5. When I upgraded the BIOS, it set the raid controller back to the default which is 4 individual disks. When I try and set it back to RAID 5, I get a warning that says all data will be lost. Surly I should be able to reconfigure the RAID without loosing all my data. Someone please help me.
a b G Storage
July 27, 2011 3:37:02 PM

You'll of course lose all your data when your Raiding... Updating BIOS isn't necessary unless your having problems... Either back-up all your data OR lose it all on RAID...
Score
Related resources
a b Ĉ ASUS
a c 314 G Storage
July 27, 2011 3:39:49 PM

legendkiller said:
You'll of course lose all your data when your Raiding... Updating BIOS isn't necessary unless your having problems... Either back-up all your data OR lose it all on RAID...

I think that you missed the original problem. The flash has been done, the RAID array broken, and it is too late to back up the data.

The question is how to re-collect the drives into a RAID volume without losing the data. This can be done, although it is often very persnickety. Yes, if the OP builds a new RAID volume from those drives all data will be lost, but the goal is to rebuild the same RAID volume.
Score
July 27, 2011 10:31:10 PM

Are there any applications out there that would help me read the data at a low level from the drives and copy it if I am unable to rebuild the RAID set?
Score
a b Ĉ ASUS
July 27, 2011 11:03:51 PM

How can a P55 chipset mobo have an ICH8R raid controller?!?!? I have an Asus RE X48 board and it has an ICH9R onboard...the x58 has an ICH10R (dieshrunk ICH9R) I also have an Asus Maximus III Formula - the sata configuration is set to RAID.

read this - http://forums.tweaktown.com/gigabyte/24950-raid-bios-up...

and for me, personally, i know a bios update only resets some/all of the features on the mobo. Setting your SATA configuration back to RAID will help you realize the raid again.

Boot into windows, back up data. If thas not possible, you've lost all data. EASEUS is one software you can look into. I can prescribe some software's for damaged block repair/recovery but not whats being seen in your case.

Hope this helps. BTW, welcome to the forums, newcomer!
Score
July 28, 2011 9:01:14 PM

Lutfij said:
How can a P55 chipset mobo have an ICH8R raid controller?!?!? I have an Asus RE X48 board and it has an ICH9R onboard...the x58 has an ICH10R (dieshrunk ICH9R) I also have an Asus Maximus III Formula - the sata configuration is set to RAID.

read this - http://forums.tweaktown.com/gigabyte/24950-raid-bios-up...

and for me, personally, i know a bios update only resets some/all of the features on the mobo. Setting your SATA configuration back to RAID will help you realize the raid again.

Boot into windows, back up data. If thas not possible, you've lost all data. EASEUS is one software you can look into. I can prescribe some software's for damaged block repair/recovery but not whats being seen in your case.

Hope this helps. BTW, welcome to the forums, newcomer!

On the ASUS boot I press CTRL+I to enter the config for the RAID. In there it says that no RAID is configured and shows the disks as 4 individual disks. If I try and configure RAID 5 again, exactly how I did it when I originally created it, and add the disks to it, I get a message at says committing these changes will mean that all data on currently on the disks will be lost.

I stop there because I do not want to loose the data. I know the data is still there, I just can't access it without being able to reestablish the RAID.

I really hope I have not lost over 4TB of data.
Score
a b Ĉ ASUS
July 28, 2011 9:11:15 PM

but can you boot into windows and recognize the raid 5 array ?...forget about ctrl+i at raid rom for now.

The asus maximus III Formula is a P55 chipset mobo, it doesn't have any ICHXR controller, the raid controller is on the southbridge.

take a look here:
http://vip.asus.com/forum/view.aspx?board_id=1&model=P6...

I'm actually surprised, you could've posted on ASUS' forums and found a reply by now :/ 

http://support.asus.com/ServiceHome.aspx?SLanguage=en
Register and post in the appropriate mobo field.

Score
July 28, 2011 11:12:30 PM

Lutfij said:
but can you boot into windows and recognize the raid 5 array ?...forget about ctrl+i at raid rom for now.

The asus maximus III Formula is a P55 chipset mobo, it doesn't have any ICHXR controller, the raid controller is on the southbridge.

take a look here:
http://vip.asus.com/forum/view.aspx?board_id=1&model=P6...

I'm actually surprised, you could've posted on ASUS' forums and found a reply by now :/ 

http://support.asus.com/ServiceHome.aspx?SLanguage=en
Register and post in the appropriate mobo field.

I can boot to Windows as the boot disk was never part of the RAID array. I have a 1TB boot disk and 4 x 2TB disks as my D drive (RAID 5). I can not see the RAID array in Windows. They just show up as unconfigured disks.

Hey, I do appreciate you advise and help. Thanks so much.

I have also raised a support ticket with ASUS but have not heard anything from them yet.
Score

Best solution

a b Ĉ ASUS
July 29, 2011 3:45:47 AM

that will take a lil bit of time.

Note; this is for people encountering the same problem.

after my previous post, i did some digging and i seemed to have found that you should keep the latest bios and THEN setup a raid array. If you plan on updating bios, then backing up everything on your existing array would be advised.
August 8, 2011 8:05:00 PM

Best answer selected by vpatel001.
Score
a b Ĉ ASUS
August 8, 2011 10:57:53 PM

and thank YOU for the vote! Hope your problem has been solved.
Score
a c 342 Ĉ ASUS
a c 200 G Storage
August 9, 2011 12:22:26 AM

This topic has been closed by Area51reopened
Score
!