Need suggestions on gaming laptop/feedback on powerpro m 5:6

Last response: in Laptops & Notebooks
a b D Laptop
a b 4 Gaming
May 26, 2004 3:10:21 PM

Hi all,
Am trying to get myself a good gaming laptop for a max budget of
2000$. After some amount of research - I saw that the Sager 5790 and
the Powerpro M5:6 (see http://www.powernotebooks.com) seemed to be the
best bets. I did spend some time checking fujitsu's lifebook N 5010
with that amazing screen (saw at fry's) but decided I get a much
better bang for the buck with sager/powerpro. The advantage with
powerpro is that it's Pentium M dothan 1.7Ghz so is lighter, saves
battery but great performance is what I hear (with the 128MB ATI 9700
radeon mobility).

All the laptop experts :)  here, I'd like to hear if you have any other
suggestion (max 2000! wifecontrol in effect ;)  cant be overridden ) OR
if you've used powerpro - wht your experience is. I'm thinking of
getting thru powernotebooks coz they seem to have great customer
reviews, and the sales person I'm talking to responds promptly.

If you want to reply to me directly - please do not to reply to the
email ID above, it's spam-infested. Mail me at
mvenugopalNOSPAM-AT-gmailOHYEAHdotcom (remove the NOSPAM-AT- and
OHYEAH :)  - its gmail)

And some other Q's
-does it really make a diff b/w a 4200 and a 5400 RPM drive?
-is it wise to just keep a DVD/CD-RW instead of going for a DVD-RW at
this point because those prices are falling and I could get an
external drive later?

thanks a ton!
venu
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
a b 4 Gaming
May 26, 2004 6:45:41 PM

"Venu" <mr_venugopal@yahoo.com> wrote in message
| Hi all,
| Am trying to get myself a good gaming laptop for a max budget of
| 2000$. After some amount of research - I saw that the Sager 5790 and
| the Powerpro M5:6 (see http://www.powernotebooks.com) seemed to be the
| best bets. I did spend some time checking fujitsu's lifebook N 5010
| with that amazing screen (saw at fry's) but decided I get a much
| better bang for the buck with sager/powerpro. The advantage with
| powerpro is that it's Pentium M dothan 1.7Ghz so is lighter, saves
| battery but great performance is what I hear (with the 128MB ATI 9700
| radeon mobility).
|
| All the laptop experts :)  here, I'd like to hear if you have any other
| suggestion (max 2000! wifecontrol in effect ;)  cant be overridden ) OR
| if you've used powerpro - wht your experience is. I'm thinking of
| getting thru powernotebooks coz they seem to have great customer
| reviews, and the sales person I'm talking to responds promptly.

I just recently made the same step, and the best looking deal I could find
was a eMachines m6809. Don't let the name scare you. They are completely
manufactured by Arima. It only has a Radeon 9600, but it also has the 64bit
CPU. If battery life is a concern, you would not be interested though. With
the Athlon64, it drains the battery quickly.

| If you want to reply to me directly - please do not to reply to the
| email ID above, it's spam-infested. Mail me at
| mvenugopalNOSPAM-AT-gmailOHYEAHdotcom (remove the NOSPAM-AT- and
| OHYEAH :)  - its gmail)
|
| And some other Q's
| -does it really make a diff b/w a 4200 and a 5400 RPM drive?

In a word, YES ( no mean to scream <wink>) The 4200RPM drive is a huge
bottleneck on the system. If you can, shoot for a 7200 RPM.

| -is it wise to just keep a DVD/CD-RW instead of going for a DVD-RW at
| this point because those prices are falling and I could get an
| external drive later?

I would think the proces have gotten almost as low as they are going to get
before being replaced with the dual layer DVD burners. You can already get
an external DVD+/-RW for around $150 or less. I guess that would just be a
matter of need. If you don't even any real use for the DVD burner, put that
money to use somewhere else (7200RPM drive or more RAM? <wink>)

| thanks a ton!
| venu

I hope any of that helped. Battery life and Weight seem to be a concern of
yours, so in the end, you may want to steer clear of the m6809. But if they
aren't at the top of your priority list, it is one mean $1500 machine!
!