Sign in with
Your question

Power Supply?

Last response: in Components
December 12, 2009 10:30:26 PM

I'm looking for a decent power supply that should work for above average graphic cards,so around 400-550 wattish? I'm willing to spend up to 60$, don't know much about power supplies :bounce:  , looked at corsair power supplies but dang those are expensive. Anyone recommend a good brand with a decent price tag?

OCZ Technology StealthXStream 500 Watt ATX Power Supply This one looks pretty good,a bit over 60$,but seems high quality

More about : power supply

a c 248 ) Power supply
December 12, 2009 10:39:19 PM

The general rule of thumb is a high quality 500 to 550 watt power supply with sufficient current (amps) on the +12 volt rail(s) can easily power a system with any single video card made. A high quality 700 to 750 watt power supply with sufficient current (amps) on the +12 volt rail(s) can power a system with two video cards operating in dual mode. There are a few exceptions like the new ATI Radeon HD 5XXX series cards which use less power due to their energy efficiency.

A high quality 500 to 550 watt psu will have a +12 volt rail rated at 40 amps. A high quality 700 to 750 watt psu will have a +12 volt rail rated at 60 amps.

In addition the power supply should be at least 80+ Bronze certified for energy efficiency. There are some models available which have achieved 80+ Silver and 80+ Gold Certifications.

Before purchasing a new psu you will need to decide whether you will eventually have a pc with one or two video cards.

Corsair, PC Power & Cooling, and Seasonic are some of the brands that have a reputation for high quality power supplies that consistently earn high marks in technical reviews. They are reliable, stable, and come with a 5 year warranty. Some of the newer models come with a 7 year warranty. Lately we've been seeing a few other brands offering some high quality units. An example would be the Antec Earthwatts series which is a major improvement over Antec’s older psu’s like the Basiq models.

The Antec Earthwatts 500 is currently on sale at newegg.com for $69.99 and shipping is free:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

m
l
December 12, 2009 11:02:43 PM

That antec looks nice, what do you think about this one? It looks pretty good,and it's at my local micro center,which is a + and i don't have to wait for it to ship to my house :D 

OCZ Technology
StealthXStream 500 Watt ATX Power Supply

http://www.microcenter.com/single_product_results.phtml...

m
l
Related resources
a c 248 ) Power supply
December 13, 2009 12:02:41 AM

The OCZ StealthXStream 500 watt power supply is adequate for powering a system with one video card. It's just not a stellar performer.

OCZ bought PC Power & Cooling a few years ago. You would think that PC Power & Cooling would make power supplies for OCZ. Not in this case. The power supply is actually made by FSP. It is identical to the Zalman ZM460-APS and SilverStone Strider ST50F. FSP just changes the brand name on the psu.

You never mentioned which high end video card you might want to install in your system. Some video cards require one 75 watt, 6 pin, PCI Express power connection. Some video cards require two 75 watt, 6 pin, PCI Express power connections. It just depends. The OCZ psu only comes with one of those PCI Express power cables. The Zalman and Silverstone versions of that same psu come with two PCI Express power cables. If Microcenter has the Zalman and/or the Silverstone versions for about the same price either one would be a better deal.

There are two Fry's Electronics stores here in Phoenix, Arizona. I visit them on a regular basis to look at stuff. In fact, I visited one this morning. I have found that it's usually cheaper to order online. With online ordering you can usually avoid sales tax and if you're lucky you might get free shipping.
m
l
a c 139 ) Power supply
December 13, 2009 1:36:50 AM

For $60 I'd try and find someone who is getting a 2nd GFX card and needs to unload a quality but lower wattage PSU.

Antec TP Series or Corsair TX series would be about a slow as I'd wanna go.
m
l
Anonymous
a b ) Power supply
December 13, 2009 8:16:43 AM

hi guys, sorry if i interfere this thread. i just have a question here, this is my specs
Mainboard : Gigabyte VM900M
Chipset : VIA P4M900
Processor : Intel Core 2 Duo E7300 @ 2666 MHz
Physical Memory : 4096 MB (2 x 2048 DDR2-SDRAM )
Video Card : NVIDIA GeForce 8500 GT
Hard Disk : WDC (320 GB)
DVD-Rom Drive : SONY DVD-ROM DDU1642 ATA Device
CD-Rom Drive : HUAWEI Mass Storage USB Device
Monitor Type : Samsung SyncMaster - 17 inches
Network Card : VT82C570 MV IDE Controller VT6102 Rhine II Fast Ethernet Adapter
Operating System : Windows Vista (TM) Ultimate Professional 6.00.6001 Service Pack 1
DirectX : Version 10.00
Windows Performance Index : 4.8
PSU: ICUTE ATX-450W/P4

my question is, is my psu does not reach the needs of my pc???
i have read a forum says its not compatible with C2D.
my pc now is having freezing problem.
is psu is the culprit??
its +12v(1) is 15a/+12V(2) is 17a. is that enough?? bcoz i have read the significant of +12v rail is important. if its not appropriate, i would like to know the detail answer..thanks
m
l
a c 124 ) Power supply
December 13, 2009 6:14:59 PM

Yus, when you start your own thread, I'm sure you'll get useful answers.

The Antec Truepower series reviews very well. Good review sites for PSUs include www.jonnyguru.com, www.hardwaresecrets.com, and www.hardocp.com. They all do load testing and waveform analysis. The first two also do dissections. Even the 500W Antec Basiq reviewed very well at HardwareSecrets. As seems to be common with Antec, they were able to pull a little more than the labeled rating out of it.
Lately I've read a few less than complimentary postings here and about regarding OCZ. Apparently they really cut some corners, like on their capacitors. Unless you find a favorable review of the specific model you're considering, I'd avoid them now, although you can easily do worse. If a PSU is 80+ certified and has full range active PFC (no little voltage switch), it probably isn't garbage.
m
l
December 13, 2009 11:43:29 PM

JohnnyLucky said:
The OCZ StealthXStream 500 watt power supply is adequate for powering a system with one video card. It's just not a stellar performer.

OCZ bought PC Power & Cooling a few years ago. You would think that PC Power & Cooling would make power supplies for OCZ. Not in this case. The power supply is actually made by FSP. It is identical to the Zalman ZM460-APS and SilverStone Strider ST50F. FSP just changes the brand name on the psu.

You never mentioned which high end video card you might want to install in your system. Some video cards require one 75 watt, 6 pin, PCI Express power connection. Some video cards require two 75 watt, 6 pin, PCI Express power connections. It just depends. The OCZ psu only comes with one of those PCI Express power cables. The Zalman and Silverstone versions of that same psu come with two PCI Express power cables. If Microcenter has the Zalman and/or the Silverstone versions for about the same price either one would be a better deal.

There are two Fry's Electronics stores here in Phoenix, Arizona. I visit them on a regular basis to look at stuff. In fact, I visited one this morning. I have found that it's usually cheaper to order online. With online ordering you can usually avoid sales tax and if you're lucky you might get free shipping.

Thanks for the info! I think i'm going to be getting a GeForce 9500 GT Evga, not exactly top of the line,but gives some adequate graphical oomph, enough for me. I'm planning on only using a single graphic card. I'll research some more on good PCUs later today, and hope i'll find a better deal
m
l
a c 124 ) Power supply
December 14, 2009 9:50:01 AM

The 9500GT does not need a power connector. If you plan to play newer games, you might not be happy with it. Even a 9600GT HD4670 will be notably better; some models of the former and all of the latter don't have power connectors either. For either of those, a 380W Earthwatts would be enough. Corsair, PC Power and Cooling, and Seasonic also have 350W-400W PSUs that would be suitable.
m
l
December 15, 2009 1:37:51 AM

How about this, same price, I think it's one of those newer models, I don't know much about graphics cards other than the fact mines sucks ( a Nvidia Quadro card that uses less than 75 watts and built for workstations o.O). Does it seems better?

NVIDIA GeForce GT 220 1024MB DDR2 PCIe 2.0 Graphics Card

Also found this,never used a Radeon card before,usually Nvidia, but it looks decent o3o

Viper Radeon HD 4650 1024MB GDDR2 PCIe Graphics Card

EDIT: OOOH. Found this on Newegg. Used to come with CoD WaW....but i missed it. bleh. Free game acquire fail. I've also realized i'm getting off track and i should probably post this in the GPU forum.... :sweat:  :sweat:  :sweat: 
Ah well
EVGA 01G-P3-N964-LR GeForce 9600 GSO 1GB 128-bit DDR2 PCI Express 2.0 x16
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
m
l
December 17, 2009 3:33:18 AM

Hmm,well, anyway,after much headbanging deliberation, I've finally decided. Going for a corsair 400W power supply, with a GeForce 9600 GSO. 400 watts may be a bit low, but Corsair is known for making quality,stable products, so going Quality>Wattage. At any rate,i'm mostly doing this because I want to try making my own computer for once after mostly ordering dell pre-builts. I'm hyped up already >:D DD. Got my shiny antec 300 case and motherboard. going to drool over more parts later at Fry's. Thanks for your help guys!
m
l
a c 124 ) Power supply
December 17, 2009 8:59:48 AM

The Corsair 400 will have no trouble with a 9600GSO.
Have fun with your build.
m
l
!