Sign in with
Your question

Issues with 6gb memory on w7 ultimate 64bit

Last response: in Memory
March 13, 2010 12:02:26 PM

Hi,

I recently updated the bios on my motherboard as it was freezing my pc while trying to install windows 7, before this my pc was running fine with 6gb of ram 2x 2gb, 2x 1gb (different makes) Now that the bios has been updated and i have been able to install windows 7 (which i did with only the 2x 1gb ram in) I installed the 2x 2gb ram and powered up to find a blue screen :sarcastic: 

I have tried swapping the sticks around and have found that both of the 2gb sticks work fine but one of the slots when filled with ram makes the computer blue screen. In bios it reads all 6gb of ram but once windows starts loading it will eventually blue screen, can any one help me out with my issue?

Cheers, helsinki98

Edit: forgot to mention the mobo is a Abit AW9D and i put it on the latest bios of versions 17
a c 80 } Memory
March 13, 2010 12:19:15 PM

Inspect the possibly defective slot with a magnifier glass. Make sure that there are no bent pins or debris. If the slot really is defective, then you'll have to replace the motherboard if you need more than 4GB of RAM.
March 13, 2010 1:06:23 PM

GhislainG said:
Inspect the possibly defective slot with a magnifier glass. Make sure that there are no bent pins or debris. If the slot really is defective, then you'll have to replace the motherboard if you need more than 4GB of RAM.

Just had a look and it looks fine, it was working fine before the bios update (and the fact it could see all 6gb both in w7 and bios) so this makes me think it has something to do with the bios, i am tempted just to take out one of the 1gb sticks and replace it with a 2gb stick and have 5gb or 4gb's as im only going to be gaming and the odd bit of video editing/rendering and quite a lot of cad work.
a c 80 } Memory
March 13, 2010 2:27:35 PM

Go with 4GB in dual channel mode.

Edit: I doubt a BIOS update made the socket go bad.
!