Sign in with
Your question

HDD noise

Last response: in Storage
July 27, 2011 1:24:28 PM

Hey people,

I can hear sometimes my hdd makes some kind of 'whistling' but not continuosly, it does it for a while and then it goes away. I've heard this hdd is a bit noisy but I don't think they meant this kind of noise.

my hdd is the WD Black 6401AALS(640 gb)

I can hear this noise also when the av is doing a scan and sometimes with no reason when I boot my pc and hit intro on my account it 'hangs' and it shows only the light blue login screen that says Windows 7 on the bottom, but with nothing showing and I have to reboot. :heink: 

More about : hdd noise

a c 372 G Storage
July 27, 2011 1:32:26 PM

Download WD Data Lifeguard and a copy of HDTune and check your SMART status.
July 27, 2011 2:16:33 PM

Hi, I got WD data lifeguard and SMART was reported to be ok, even the test. The weird thing is that once the pc has booted it works ok...

I'm runnind HDtune now and everything is good so far..
Related resources
a c 372 G Storage
July 27, 2011 3:38:41 PM

If data lifeguard doesn't report problems I don't know if WD will allow an RMA on the drive. To be safe, you may want to back up your data. If you purchased this drive from newegg or something and is still covered under their warranty, you may have better luck with an RMA.

As for your computer hitching on boot up, I don't know if that would be the drive or ram. Does the event log show anything when this happens or is it happening before the event log can run. Anyhow, you may want to run memtest86 and see if ram isn't causing the hang ups on boot.
July 27, 2011 4:44:27 PM

I just ran a Error scan on HDTune and seems to be Ok, all green, damaged blocks 0%., Health Ok. I don't think the ram is bad because it has been a winner, since I bought it no problems, also runs oc. I will run a memtest86 anyway.

I bought this hard drive just last year, in Overclockers(uk). I will try to have a look at that too. Not many errors in event viewer,

In Applications log:

*Always get an error regarding Sony ericsson pc companion,(probably because i disabled the auto startup, I don't know) it says on Source:SideBySide then
Activation context generation failed for "c:\program files\sony ericsson\sony ericsson pc companion\Drivers\DPInst64.exe". Dependent Assembly Microsoft.Windows.Common-Controls,language="*",processorArchitecture="amd64",publicKeyToken="6595b64144ccf1df",type="win32",version="6.0.0.0" could not be found. Please use sxstrace.exe for detailed diagnosis.*

In the last one in System log :

Critical error Source: Kernel-power
'The system has rebooted without cleanly shutting down first. This error could be caused if the system stopped responding, crashed, or lost power unexpectedly.' (Probably because I rebooted it as I said in my previous post)

Error Soure: Kernel- processor-power

'Some processor performance power management features have been disabled due to a known firmware problem. Check with the computer manufacturer for updated firmware.'

This errors are shown a few times if I scroll down,no continuosly but I can find them in the log.

Thanks

a c 372 G Storage
July 27, 2011 4:51:16 PM

damian86 said:

Error Soure: Kernel- processor-power

'Some processor performance power management features have been disabled due to a known firmware problem. Check with the computer manufacturer for updated firmware.'

That's the thing about drives. They can be silent and die without warning and other can make funny noises and run good for years. Since all tests come back ok, the drive may last you a long time. If the noise concerns you at all, then you may want to try for a return.

From the error above, it makes me wonder if there are any other problems with the firmware/bios. Are you running the newest bios?
July 27, 2011 6:01:31 PM

OK, I ran memtest, it took about 15 mins and no errors. I had it again when I rebooted(by mistake with no memtest) and windows booted up saying 'Windows explorer is not responding.'> This is tipycal from hdd issues I think, correct me if I'm wrong.

Other thing, I'm suspecting the AV could be causing it? I got Kaspersky.
Regarding the firmware/bios yes, I'm running the latest(was updated about 6 years ago LoL) I remember having those errors once.I don't know.

Thanks for the replies so far.
a c 372 G Storage
July 27, 2011 6:11:07 PM

Well, AV's do tend to load first so they can scan other services and programs starting up. If you suspect it's a problem, you can always try uninstalling it and reinstall it later. of course, this should not be a reason for the drive whistling, but could hang up the boot process.
!