Sign in with
Your question
Solved

I7 won't post anymore?

Last response: in Systems
September 24, 2009 9:08:14 PM

I built myself an i7 920 machine several months ago with the help of suggestions from THF, but when I came home for lunch today and attempted to power on my computer, it wouldn't post.

When I power on the computer normally, the CPU fan spins at 100% and the screen remains black, then it begins to post and the fan audibly slows down.

When I powered it on earlier today, the screen remains black and the CPU fan continues to spin at 100%. All the LED's illuminate, and it looks like it should power on fine; but it doesn't. I'm worried I might have a dead processor, or a defective motherboard.

I tried a couple quick troubleshooting steps to get it to post (I only have an hour for lunch):
I removed all but the first stick of RAM... no post.
I swapped in a different stick in the first slot... no post.
I put all the RAM back in different spots... no post.
I turned off my PSU, unplugged it, plugged it back in, turned it back on... no post.
I pulled out the CMOS battery and then put it back in... no post.

Any suggestions on what I can do? Does removing the CMOS jumper have the same effect as removing the battery?

Additional Info:
Nothing should have changed since last night when I last turned it off.
I wasn't overclocking at the time, but I did very briefly a couple months ago; just to 3.2GHz, and for no more than a few hours. I didn't increase the voltages at all.

System Info:
i7 920 C0 stepping (stock speed, stock cooler)
ASUS P6T Deluxe
Corsair 850TX
Corsair XMS3 DDR3 1333 (3x2GB)
EVGA GTX 275
Creative X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty
2x WD Caviar Black 500GB (RAID 0)
1x WD Caviar Blue 500GB

Windows Vista Ultimate x64
Antec P182

More about : post anymore

September 24, 2009 9:40:46 PM

I thought my board had a built in speaker, but I guess I was wrong. Why wouldn't motherboard manufacturers include them anymore?

Anyway... I'll probably stop by Microcenter or somewhere on the way home to pick up a speaker. I don't understand what could have possibly happened between today and yesterday other than a sudden hardware failure. I'm really thinking it's the processor which would not make me happy. All the lights on the motherboard and expansion cards come on and everything seems to be fine...
m
l
Related resources
September 24, 2009 9:48:01 PM

kufan64 said:
I thought my board had a built in speaker, but I guess I was wrong. Why wouldn't motherboard manufacturers include them anymore?

Anyway... I'll probably stop by Microcenter or somewhere on the way home to pick up a speaker. I don't understand what could have possibly happened between today and yesterday other than a sudden hardware failure. I'm really thinking it's the processor which would not make me happy. All the lights on the motherboard and expansion cards come on and everything seems to be fine...

Kufen64 - I am interested in what you find out. I have the exact same situation. My motherboard is the ASUS P6t Deluxe V2 with almost exact hardware installed. I find that when I unplug the 12v connector on the MB, the system will stay on, but I get no video. but if I have it plugged in, it will do exactly as your system. I have swapped out the PSU in hopes that fixed it. No luck!! It better not be the CPU. Let me know what you find out. My system also does not have a speaker.
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
September 24, 2009 10:02:49 PM

The CMOS jumper and pulling the battery have the same purpose, but don't work in exactly the same way.

Pull the power cord from the wall, pull the CMOS battery, press the case power on button several times (this drains any residual charge in the psu and prevents it from maintaining CMOS status), wait 10 minutes (does the same thing), replace the battery, plug in the power cord. Attempt to boot.

==========================

If you have a speaker attached to the mobo ( or if you get one):

Pull everything except the CPU and Heat Sink Fan. Boot. You should hear a series of long single beeps (or an error code display) indicating memory problems (ie, no memory). Silence here indicates, in probable order, a bad PSU, motherboard, or CPU - or a bad installation where something is shorting and shutting down the PSU.

[Unlikely in your case, but to eliminate the possiblility of a bad installation where something is shorting and shutting down the PSU, you will need to pull the motherboard out of the case and reassemble the components on an insulated surface. This is called "breadboarding" - from the 1920's homebrew radio days.]

If you get the long beeps, add a stick of RAM. Boot. The beep pattern should change to one long and two or three short beeps. Silence indicates that the RAM is shorting out the PSU (very rare). Long single beeps indicates that the BIOS does not recognize the presence of the RAM.

If you get the one long and two or three short beeps, test the rest of the RAM. If good, install the video card and any power cables it may need and plug in the monitor. If the video card is good, the system should successfully POST (one short beep, usually) and you will see the boot screen and messages. If you have onboard video, remove your vid card, connect your monitor to the onboard video, and try again.

If you successfully POST, you should enter BIOS and verify (or manually set) the RAM speed, timings, and voltage to the manufacturers specs. Then start plugging in the rest of the components, one at a time.

==========================

If you have another psu, try it - or try your psu in another system.
m
l
September 24, 2009 10:04:43 PM

When you say you removed all but the "first stick" of ram, did you mean that slot A1 was populated? There's an Intel spec that states the system will not boot if only one dimm is installed in slot A2, B2, or C2.

One DIMM only needs to be in A1, but maybe you already knew this? I have the same board, I just haven't built the system yet b/c I'm moving real soon.
m
l
September 25, 2009 1:15:14 AM

Well I picked up a speaker and plugged it in, but no beeps...

I'm taking Twoboxer's advice... btw thank you very much for the detailed walkthrough; I really appreciate it since I'm tearing my hair out.

Just to clarify... I highly doubt this is linked to the PSU because all my fans spin up and all my lights come on like normal... If pulling the battery again doesn't work, I'll have to tear it down and breadboard it again like I did when I first got it.

I've got another PSU and video card that I can test, but I don't have any other compatible hardware (RAM, CPU, Mobo) to troubleshoot with.

I'm now waiting the 10min after removing the battery and I'll update from there.
m
l
September 25, 2009 1:33:46 AM

Well pulling the battery didn't work...

Starting to tear everything down...
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
September 25, 2009 1:47:13 AM

kufan64 said:
I'm taking Twoboxer's advice... btw thank you very much for the detailed walkthrough; I really appreciate it since I'm tearing my hair out.
NP, but its really just a cut and paste from the sticky checklist:

http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/page-261145_13_0.ht...

kufan64 said:
Just to clarify... I highly doubt this is linked to the PSU because all my fans spin up and all my lights come on like normal...
With all due respect, most of the time these symptoms are reported here, a replacement psu solves the problem. PSUs have multiple failure modes, and cause all sorts of strange problems that make people think its anything but the psu.
m
l
September 25, 2009 2:06:24 AM

Well I fired it up without any RAM and got the correct beep code for "No memory detected".

I put one stick of RAM in the first slot (yes the correct one) and got no beep code.
I put all three sticks in and got no beep code.

Is it possible that my RAM is shorting out my PSU?
Where should I go from here?
m
l
a c 113 B Homebuilt system
September 25, 2009 7:32:14 AM

There is a sequence to these things. All you really know is that you get the correct code with no memory, which indicates that the MB and CPU are at least partially functional.

Try starting with the CPU and RAM in place but no GPU. Do you get a beep code then?
m
l
September 25, 2009 7:40:47 AM

I had this happen to my computer and it was that one stick of ram was bad it would boot up but them revert to a black screen; so I had to replace one of the sticks.
m
l
September 25, 2009 1:41:46 PM

I wonder of he has the Elpida chips on his ram that's under recall because they are dying on people?
m
l
September 25, 2009 3:48:04 PM

Quote:
There is a sequence to these things. All you really know is that you get the correct code with no memory, which indicates that the MB and CPU are at least partially functional.

Try starting with the CPU and RAM in place but no GPU. Do you get a beep code then?

I didn't have my GPU installed for any of the tests in my last post. I later put it in and reran all the tests to see if it would display an error code or anything... it didn't.

Quote:
I had this happen to my computer and it was that one stick of ram was bad it would boot up but them revert to a black screen; so I had to replace one of the sticks.

If the problem is caused by a single faulty stick of RAM, shouldn't I still be able to post with just one stick in the first slot? I believe I was able to do that when I breadboarded it last time...

Quote:
I wonder of he has the Elpida chips on his ram that's under recall because they are dying on people?

Is there some way to tell?
m
l

Best solution

a b B Homebuilt system
September 25, 2009 10:00:49 PM

If you get "no memory" beeps when you boot up with nothing on the board,

And if the memory used to work,

And if you get nothing when using one stick of memory by itself,

And if you get nothing when using the other stick of memory by itself,

Then since the odds of having two bad sticks are slim, the mobo or the psu is likely the fault.

Using another psu in this system, or trying your psu in someone else's system is just about the only way to tell at this point.
September 26, 2009 5:13:26 AM

Ok I just finsihed testing with a different PSU that I know for a fact works flawlessly and I get the exact same result:
No RAM installed - "No Memory Detected" beep error
Any RAM installed - No beeps or error messages of any kind

If I am to draw a conclusion from these tests, it is that my motherboard has malfunctioned and needs to be replaced, correct?

(sigh) :( 
m
l
a c 113 B Homebuilt system
September 26, 2009 6:15:46 AM

Seems that way to me.
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
September 26, 2009 8:40:41 AM

Me too.
m
l
September 26, 2009 10:02:15 PM

Well thanks very much everyone. You've all been extremely helpful.

I guess I'll have to contact ASUS and RMA this board back to them...
m
l
October 7, 2009 9:51:06 PM

I just wanted to give one final update... I can now 100% confirm that the problem was solved by replacing the motherboard; I got in my replacement from ASUS, and I have it breadboarded with the rest of my system behind me right now and everything is working again.

Thanks again to everyone that helped me out!
m
l
!