AMD C-60; Catalyst Drivers Will Not Install

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey all,

A few days back I picked up an AMD C-60 powered netbook, an ASUS 1015BX to be exact.
As the stock HD is not terribly large, and Windows 7 Starter is quite terrible, the first thing I did was stick 4GB RAM into it, swap the HD and install Windows 7 Home Premium 64-Bit.

Now, the issue I am having is that the video drivers will not install properly.
When attempting to install the AMD official driver packages the 'Vision Engine Control Center' is installed but it only lists information on the CPU.
The driver listed on ASUS' support site (x86 only, like most of their drivers for this netbook :fou: ) does install CCC but it can not be opened.

With all attempted driver installations the Device Manager lists the GPU as a 'Standard VGA Display Adapter'.
Additionally, I was sure to update Windows to SP1 before installing any drivers (as required with 11.9).

So far I have tried reinstalling Windows 64-Bit, then Windows 32-Bit and trying driver versions 11.9-11.5 along with the ASUS supplied driver on the 32-Bit install.
At no time has the driver been accepted, although I am sure the hardware is working as the drivers on the original instillation where.

So, does anyone have any ideas on how I could solve this?
With the AMD C and E series being so popular now, and me not being the only one with This Issue, I am sure someone here has encountered and solved this issue.
Maybe it would be possible to take the driver straight out of the stock instillation (I have not yet formatted the disk)?

Thanks in advance,
outlw

Solution
Hmmm... That doesn't sound good. :pfff:

Ok. I made an attempt at the ASUS site. I followed the same way of thinking and checked the 1215BX since this is the bigger brother of Your 1015BX. Similar situation to ACER: the bigger screen gets more RAM and 64Bit OS, namely Win7 Home Premium. On the 1215BX driver download site I have found 2 VGA drivers:

- Graphics Driver For Asus Brazos (WHQL) V8.871 - 161.68 (MBytes) This is the newer one.
- Graphics Driver for WIN 7( V8.792.0.0) - 243.58 (MBytes)

Have You met these drivers before?

Surprisingly there was no VGA driver on the 1015BX download section at all. :ouch: Strange.

:hello:
Well, I feel stupid for not trying the mobile driver package in the first place [:bohleyk:7]
Unfortunately though, it does not work either.
I get this for an error:

AMD Catalyst Mobility kann aufgrund von
inkompatibler Hardware/Software auf Ihrem
Computer nicht heruntergeladen werden.

Ihr Computer enthält keinen passenden
Grafikadapter

Roughly translated, the util can not find any compatible hardware and there are no compatible graphics cards installed.

Yeah, that links to the AMD Driver Downloader utility.
Tried it and it could not detect any comparable hardware.

Yes, all drivers where fully uninstalled.
Between instillation attempts I run the Catalyst Uninstaller which supposedly removes everything AMD from the system (driverwise).

AFAIK, the C-60 with its 6290 should be supported by the standard packages.
As such, the initial instillation after windows update should have worked in the first place :/

Yeah, they have a driver listed on their x86 support page, unfortunately it does not work either :fou:

I will give it another day, maybe someone will have a thought or two here.
After that, the ASUS and AMD support pages are my next stops.
Hopefully it is not a hardware defect; I kinda broke the warranty sticker installing the new HD :(

How can you break the warranty stick by changing the HDD?

HDD is user serviceable component and doesn't have a sticker. Stickers only on heat pipes in contact with the gpu and cpu so that if you remove heat pipe to access them, it will break.

hagak

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2011
Hello Everybody,

I ordered an ACER 522 with the same C-60 APU a couple of days ago. It is going to be delivered tomorrow, so I started to collect things I want to install on it - first of all the 4GB RAM and an SSD along with the Win7 Home Premium 64bit... Just like You, I tried to download 64bit drivers, as well, but - just like You I could not find them. Than I had an idea: Acer ships the same base hardware with their 722 Win7 Home Premium 64bit, so I checked if there is any available 64bit driver downloads for the 722. AND YES. There is.

My suggestion is in advance: take a chance on the Acer Aspire One 722 dowload site and download this:

http://global-download.acer.com/GDFiles/Driver/VGA/VGA_AMD_8.861.0.0_W7x86W7x64_A.zip?acerid=634514830456143920&Step1=Netbook&Step2=Aspire%20One&Step3=AO722&OS=721&LC=en&BC=Acer&SC=EMEA_16

The downloaded file name is: VGA_AMD_8.861.0.0_W7x86W7x64_A.zip

This means - in my oppinion - that it has no special relation to Acer products in general, just for the AMD C-60...

Possibly working. I have to try it tomorrow anyway... :)

Welcome to the forums!

Thanks for your recommendation.
Unfortunately I already tried that specific driver package, it was posted in another Ontario driver issue Thread, and it also did not function :(

My advice to you is to hold off on reinstalling your OS until it can be confirmed that the drivers can be properly installed.
I plan to open support tickets with ASUS and AMD after work and will post back the responses here.

hagak

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2011
OK. :hello:

...But: I know myself. :whistle: My first step is going to be taking the original hard drive out, put an OCZ Vertex 2 in and starting to play with the new OS - and than we'll see. Possibly it will end up in tears and anger and putting the hard drive back, but what can a hardware junkie do in such situation... :pt1cable:

But Thank You for Your reply, anyway, and yes: keep us informed.

Well, no response yet from ASUS or AMD's tech support.

I did however successfully clone the windows partition from the original drive to then new drive.
As such, I now have factory Windows 7 Starter installed and the GPU drivers are working.

Still no idea why the drivers are not working after reinstalling windows; hopefully I can get a working driver soon :??:

hagak

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2011
Hello again,

Well... Yes. Same results. I installed 32 & 64 bit versions of Win7 Home Premium, tried many ways to install drivers but the result was the same: the video processing unit was not recognized. Now I'm using the original HDD with 4 GB of RAM (of course 2GB seen by Win7 Starter).

It seems we have to admit that actually the C-60 is not fully supported at the moment...

Now I write to Acer if they had any information...

Please, keep us updated...

If I got any news I post it asap... :hello:

hagak

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2011
Problem solved - it seems... :)

Yesterday I installed on my ACER Aspire One 522 Windows 7 Home Premium 64Bit with Service Pack 1 integrated. Then I installed the VGA Driver from the ACER Aspire One 722 driver site:

http://us.acer.com/ac/en/US/content/drivers

The driver is: VGA_AMD_8.861.0.0_W7x86W7x64_A

Download link: http://global-download.acer.com/GDFiles/Driver/VGA/VGA_AMD_8.861.0.0_W7x86W7x64_A.zip?acerid=634514830456143920&Step1=Netbook&Step2=Aspire%20One&Step3=AO722&OS=721&LC=en&BC=Acer&SC=PA_6

After reboot the graphics processing unit was working without any problem. Now I'm having correct display resolution, video playback works fine, so everything is on its place.

The driver I mentioned above seemed to be promising earlier, too, because the ACER 722 comes with 64Bit Home Premium from the factory. Probably the missing part was the OS Service Pack...

Anyway: for me it's working perfectly.

I hope You can get closer to the solution, as well.

Good luck!

Thanks for the update, I am glad you got it working!

As everything is working since I cloned the factory drive, I think I am going to wait for ASUS/AMD support to reply before reinstalling again.
I will post back once I hear from them!

AMD has responded...

Response and Service Request History:

Thank you for contacting AMD Global Customer Care. I understand you were trying to install drivers for your C-60 APU. The C-60 is directly integrated onto your motherboard by your system manufacturer. AMD has no specifications regarding how the chip was implemented onto the board. For this reason, AMD does not provide any drivers for any of the C-Series APUs. All drivers for this series will be provided by your system manufacturer. Any number of additional modifications may have been made to the APU itself by the system manufacturer with the implementation of this unit. For this reason, your system manufacturer will provide proprietary drivers specifically for your APU.

If you have any further questions or concerns, please feel free to contact us again at AMD Global Customer Care.

In order to update this service request, please respond, leaving the service request reference intact.

Best regards,

[Removed]

AMD Global Customer Care

So, there are no official AMD drivers for their Ontario APU's :(

Still waiting for ASUS' response...

hagak

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2011
Hmmm... That doesn't sound good. :pfff:

Ok. I made an attempt at the ASUS site. I followed the same way of thinking and checked the 1215BX since this is the bigger brother of Your 1015BX. Similar situation to ACER: the bigger screen gets more RAM and 64Bit OS, namely Win7 Home Premium. On the 1215BX driver download site I have found 2 VGA drivers:

- Graphics Driver For Asus Brazos (WHQL) V8.871 - 161.68 (MBytes) This is the newer one.
- Graphics Driver for WIN 7( V8.792.0.0) - 243.58 (MBytes)

Have You met these drivers before?

Surprisingly there was no VGA driver on the 1015BX download section at all. :ouch: Strange.

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.