ATAPI Errors

xxx666yyy777

Distinguished
Aug 23, 2009
Hello there - i just recently encountered ATAPI errors in my Win 7 event viewer. The errors say "The driver detected a controller error on \Device\Ide\IdePort2.". At the same time, transfer rates to the hdd in question became very slow. I ran chkdsk /f /r - no issues reported. I also ran the SeaTools for Windows tool - no SMART errors, short tests show also no issues. Currently running the check from EASUS Partition Manager - so far everything green, however, at the same time, the errors in the even viewer keep showing up (while EASUS is running surface check and reporting everything as green...)

Any ideas, what the problem could be?

Thx.

Solution
Hi there,

Couple things to check: Double click on the Event Viewer error (is this a red exclamation point error?) and it will bring up a an event properties box. That has an online help link which may give you more specific information about the error.

Also, could there be another HDD or Device on this IDePort2 that is not being checked, since you mention transfer rates from another device. Check the BIOS to see what is on Port 2.

A very good testing program is HD Tune (free edition) or HD Tune Pro, which gives you Disk Health Info, S.M.A.R.T. parameters, and you can test the file data transfer rates across the disk. Here's the link

www.hdtune.com

And if there is any concern about the controller chip on the MB, rather than the HDD...

John_VanKirk

Distinguished
Hi there,

Couple things to check: Double click on the Event Viewer error (is this a red exclamation point error?) and it will bring up a an event properties box. That has an online help link which may give you more specific information about the error.

Also, could there be another HDD or Device on this IDePort2 that is not being checked, since you mention transfer rates from another device. Check the BIOS to see what is on Port 2.

A very good testing program is HD Tune (free edition) or HD Tune Pro, which gives you Disk Health Info, S.M.A.R.T. parameters, and you can test the file data transfer rates across the disk. Here's the link

www.hdtune.com

And if there is any concern about the controller chip on the MB, rather than the HDD itself, consider downloading the latest chipset drivers from the MB website.

Solution

xxx666yyy777

Distinguished
Aug 23, 2009
Thanks - HDTune did indeed help me solve the problem. It reported a warning related to a SMART factor that could indicate a bad cable. I checked the MB and the cable in question was indeed loose. After resetting it, no more atapi problems! Its a shame that neither the Seagate nor WD tools reported that issue and showed the SMART status always as green...

Thanks again!

Lightness

Reputable
Mar 19, 2015

Which one SMART factor could indicate a bad cable?? I never heard about this.