Lacie DT Hard Drive usb 2.0 500GB CP does not spin up

group6

Distinguished
May 20, 2008
I have a Lacie DT Hard Drive USB 2.0 500GB CP, it does not spin up. I also have 430GB of video on it. :cry:

Its left on all the time, I use it as a NAS. It wasnt showing up on my Windows 7 machine and the light was off. I cycled the power and listened to it spin up very closely (with a stethoscope actually). It sounds fine at first but the light only comes on briefly, not even long enough to reach its usual brightness. Then I hear a regular ticking, about 1 second apart, a muted beep and then the big zero. The whole thing lasts about 10 seconds. I dont have another power supply. I tried opening the enclosure, the back panel doesnt want to come off and I dont want to force it.

Any help would greatly appreciated.

Solution

Good point. Cables have been tried different ways. The 'original way' I think was to double seal the bags without cables, then when you removed out the HDD, attach the cables as rapidly as possible to prevent the HDD warming up. There the HDD would have to be exposed to room air and would begin warming the second it was removed.

Others have left the cables attached so they could be plugged into the desktop as fast as possible, not disturbing the HDD in the cold bags. Sealed at exit. Probably the best to prevent warming and condensation.

You could even seal the bags with cables inside, but you...

John_VanKirk

Distinguished
Hello,

Well, it sounds like the drive is failing, or failed. Are the files located on your regular desktop anymore?

I don't find the drive user manual on the Net, but if you could check it closely and see if you can remove it from the case, then attach it (probably a SATA drive) to your desktop both data and power to see or hear if it will spin up. If it is a power related problem it will spin up using the desktop power connector. If so, then copy the files immediatly to a safe folder. If it doesn't spin up with a direct power connection, there isn't an inexpensive way to retrieve the files.

group6

Distinguished
May 20, 2008

Thats thats the prognosis I was thinking about, but I wanted another opinion. I didnt think of using a desktop. The only problem with that is I dont have that much space on any other drives. I suppose I could start the transfer and then start deleting stuff thats less important than the video. Thats if it even works. Would a bad PS act the same way every time, same exact behavior, same duration, not intermittent?

EDIT: What do you think about the freezing trick?

John_VanKirk

Distinguished

As a general rule, when you get exactly the same results every time, short spinup, then 'clicking' then nothing, it's almost certainly the disk. New disk clicks are not good.

The freezer was the next and last step! (good you found it) You should have the drive out of the case to test first, in case there is a case PCB or power problem. Many folks recommend you have the sata and power cables connected to the drive. Then double zip lock bag it, and if you have a couple small drying packs or small medicine bottle drying cylinders, put them inside. Seal it, with the wires coming out, and put it in the freezer 2 hrs to overnight.
Then immediately connect it back to your desktop to see if it will spin up and stay running for 15 min or enough time to copy off all the data.

It's worth a try. For really valuable data, an expensive forensic type data recovery service like Kroll On Track www.krollontrack.com/ out of Minnesoto might be able to extract the data.

group6

Distinguished
May 20, 2008
No change using the desktop PS. It is a Seagate Barracuda 7200.11 SATA. As to freezing it, I guess it isnt really sealed with the cables sticking out, just seal it as best as possible then remove it from the freezer and connect it while still in the bag? The board on the desktop only has 1 SATA connector. Another computer has an Asus P5AD2 Deluxe board that has 2 SATA disks in a RAID 1 with Intel Matrix RAID. I dont think another single disk can be used as a second drive though.

John_VanKirk

Distinguished

The RAID SATA connector won't work. You need a regular IDE SATA connector, or a SATA-USB converted you know works, ready to go, or a different desktop. It needs to be ready to go, so when you remove the package from the freezer, it can be plugged in a spun up before much warming.

group6

Distinguished
May 20, 2008

I am trying to get another desktop to use. Will post results then.

Why should the cables be left out when bagging it for freezing?

John_VanKirk

Distinguished

Good point. Cables have been tried different ways. The 'original way' I think was to double seal the bags without cables, then when you removed out the HDD, attach the cables as rapidly as possible to prevent the HDD warming up. There the HDD would have to be exposed to room air and would begin warming the second it was removed.

Others have left the cables attached so they could be plugged into the desktop as fast as possible, not disturbing the HDD in the cold bags. Sealed at exit. Probably the best to prevent warming and condensation.

You could even seal the bags with cables inside, but you would have to open the bags letting the warm air in & possibly causing condensation.

Solution

group6

Distinguished
May 20, 2008
I have a .wav file of the drive trying to spin up, but I dont see a way to upload it. Thanks for the help and when I get the opportunity to freeze it, I will post back.