Sign in with
Your question

Clicking noise from psu

Last response: in Motherboards
March 13, 2010 3:23:00 PM

Hello!
Im having some pc problems and I think its either the PSU or the motherboard but I dunno.. There is a clicking noise ( kinda like a clock) coming from the PSU and nothing is coming up on the screen ( also it seems that the cd rom dosent have any power cuz the light isent on and it wont respond when I try to open it) What might the problem be?

More about : clicking noise psu

a c 78 V Motherboard
March 13, 2010 4:51:25 PM

If all has been working until now, it sounds like a bad power supply. Replace it.
Related resources
March 13, 2010 6:45:20 PM

treefrog07 said:
If all has been working until now, it sounds like a bad power supply. Replace it.

I bought a new motherboard/psu/processor and I installed it all in the chassi. Then after when I was about to reinstall w7 I heard a strange semi loud click noise and the screen went black and the ticking sound started.
March 13, 2010 7:06:18 PM

GhislainG said:
Probably a defective PSU. You should disconnect everything and power the PSU. Here's how you do it: http://www.techpowerup.com/articles/other/22 or http://www.instructables.com/id/How-to-power-up-an-ATX-... Just use a paper clip. Then use a DVM and check that all voltages are OK, etc.

Thanks for that! Seems like the PSU is just fine... No strange noises at all. I bet its the motherboard then.. I think. Anyway of checking if the motherboard is the problem or something else?
a c 236 V Motherboard
March 13, 2010 8:21:50 PM

Then you'll have to determine where the noise comes from. Is your system fairly recent or is it several years old? If a few years old, visually inspect the motherboard for bulged caps. Check for noise coming from other components like the video card, etc.
March 13, 2010 9:08:09 PM

GhislainG said:
Then you'll have to determine where the noise comes from. Is your system fairly recent or is it several years old? If a few years old, visually inspect the motherboard for bulged caps. Check for noise coming from other components like the video card, etc.

Almost everything is new except the cd rom hdd and ram. The clicking noise is coming from the PSU but I dont know if its a indicator that there is a problem with the motherboard.
a c 236 V Motherboard
March 13, 2010 9:17:36 PM

It works fine when not connected to the system, but it clicks if you connect it? It could click because it isn't powerful enough or because something is shorting out. Does it work when only the motherboard is connected?
March 14, 2010 6:53:59 AM

Patiently waiting for someone to mention building the system out of the case...
March 14, 2010 9:32:32 AM

GhislainG said:
It works fine when not connected to the system, but it clicks if you connect it? It could click because it isn't powerful enough or because something is shorting out. Does it work when only the motherboard is connected?

OK I was wrong.. The clicking noise is coming from the motherboard itself. My PSU is 620 W so it should't be the problem. Maybe the motherboard is broken? Or the PSU is messing up and isent giving the right amount of power needed....
March 14, 2010 9:33:21 AM

croc said:
Patiently waiting for someone to mention building the system out of the case...

Outside? How do I do that? With a box or something?
a c 236 V Motherboard
March 14, 2010 1:05:51 PM

You remove the motherboard from the case and put it on a box or cardboard. Then hook up the PSU and power up the system. It will be much easier to determine where the noise is coming from.
!