Clicking noise from psu

thedaki75

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2010
Hello!
Im having some pc problems and I think its either the PSU or the motherboard but I dunno.. There is a clicking noise ( kinda like a clock) coming from the PSU and nothing is coming up on the screen ( also it seems that the cd rom dosent have any power cuz the light isent on and it wont respond when I try to open it) What might the problem be?

thedaki75

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2010

I bought a new motherboard/psu/processor and I installed it all in the chassi. Then after when I was about to reinstall w7 I heard a strange semi loud click noise and the screen went black and the ticking sound started.

thedaki75

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2010

Hm.. I'll try it out. Lets see if I can find a paper clip.

thedaki75

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2010

Thanks for that! Seems like the PSU is just fine... No strange noises at all. I bet its the motherboard then.. I think. Anyway of checking if the motherboard is the problem or something else?

Then you'll have to determine where the noise comes from. Is your system fairly recent or is it several years old? If a few years old, visually inspect the motherboard for bulged caps. Check for noise coming from other components like the video card, etc.

thedaki75

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2010

Almost everything is new except the cd rom hdd and ram. The clicking noise is coming from the PSU but I dont know if its a indicator that there is a problem with the motherboard.

It works fine when not connected to the system, but it clicks if you connect it? It could click because it isn't powerful enough or because something is shorting out. Does it work when only the motherboard is connected?

thedaki75

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2010

OK I was wrong.. The clicking noise is coming from the motherboard itself. My PSU is 620 W so it should't be the problem. Maybe the motherboard is broken? Or the PSU is messing up and isent giving the right amount of power needed....

thedaki75

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2010

Outside? How do I do that? With a box or something?