DISK BOOT FAILURE, INSERT SYSTEM DISK AND PRESS ENTER!

Fujimaster

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2009
My less than 1 year old PC all of a sudden for no reason at all my windows vista says on the boot screen, DISK BOOT FAILURE, INSERT SYSTEM DISK AND PRESS ENTER! I have checked out all the BIOS functions and it seems that the PC does not register the HDD when everything else seems to be working fine. I have tried switching the connections with new ones, resetting it, even the old freezing trick. All do not work. I also cannot load from the boot disc as it goes from the boot screen to a blank screen with the same message every time. I have tried to set the BIOS to read 1st from DVDROM but the BIOS only gives me the option to select CDROM (but I do not have a CDROM installed only DVDROM?) so I can not even attempt a reformat or repair. My cousin says the files might be corrupt but would this cause the HDD to be unfindable from BIOS. Other than buying a new HDD has anyone else had this problem and did they find a solution?

tecmo34

Administrator
When you turn on your PC, select boot sequence (F2 if I remember correctly) not "del" for BIOS, install your OS disk, select your actual DVD drive (for me it was the last one), and boot up Windows. Once you are in Windows, select the repair option (not install). This should repair the boot error and get you back on track.

If it doesn't work, I agree with jitpublusher, hard drive is most likely died.