Thinking of setting up two 128GB M4 in Raid 0 and one M4 64GB in RST

Drey84

Distinguished
Jul 4, 2011
I have the I7 2600K CPU and ASUS P8Z68 Deluxe Motherboard with one 2T (almost half way filled up but I plan to delete alot of stuff soon) HHD, one 256GB HHD, and one Crucial SSD 64 GB M4 that hold my OS Windows Ultimate 64bit and programs. I found that 64GB wasn't quite enough and I'll soon be out of space for further applications so I got two 128GB M4s which I plan to put into a RAID 0 format and for that to hold my OS and Programs using the program Acronis True Image to assist in the transfer. Here is a play-by-play in detail of how I think it could be done but if I'm wrong I like to be corrected:

1. Unplug the computer and open the case while grounded using the case shell
2. Disconnect the 6GB SATA wire that is connected to the 64GB M4 from the Intel 6GB SATA connection and plug it into the Marvell 6GB SATA connection and plug both 128GB M4s in the Intel 6GB SATA connection.
3. Close the case up and plug back in and start up the computer
4. Enter the ASUS Bios and go to Advance mode
5. Go to the advance tab and enable the Marvell SATA connection (I had it off before as I wasn't using it) then go to boot tab and set up the two 128GB M4s to be in RAID mode 0
6. Make sure the the 64GB SSD M4 is ready to be the first to boot and then Save and exit the bios
7. Go open up Acronis and follow directions to transfer everything from the 64GB M4 to the new Raid 0 M4s and clean sweep the 64GB M4 once it's finished.
8. Turn off and Restart the computer and go to BIOS again
9. Go to Advance mode again and enable RST to be used on the 64GB SSD M4 and set how much will be use for SSD caching (is the average GB do people recommend setting aside for RST?)
10. Restart the Computer and hopefully everything goes well.

I never did RAID before and RST is also new to me though I read a couple of topics and info on both. I know in RAID no matter what 6GB SATA connection I will lose TRIM but from what I read GC (Garbage Collection) already does the same job overall so that doesn't seem to be a problem I think but from what I read in for two SSDs in RAID 0 between Marvell and Raid 0 in Intel 6GB Intel was far faster. I know that Marvell does have TRIM at all (makes me wonder why the company doesn't just use 4 Intel 6GB instead of 2 Intel and 2 Marvell) and I don't know how RST will work concerning TRIM and GC and also how RST might affect TRIM and GC. In RST will TRIM be needed thus should I keep the 64GB M4 into the Intel SATA and having the RAID 0 128GB M4s plugged into Marvell instead? Any other advice as well?

r3xx3r

Distinguished
Aug 31, 2009

not exactly. First, you cannot use RST when you have SSD drives as your boot drive.

to set up the two 128GB SSDs as RAID 0 you need to set the SATA controller to RAID mode. than restart and go into the RAID settings by pressing the buttons it tell you to (for me it is control-f). you will need to download the RAID drivers for your controller (on you motherboard manufacturer's website. put the .inf file for the version of windows ur installing onto a flash drive or cd or floppy disk and use it when it asks where u want to install windows.

Drey84

Distinguished
Jul 4, 2011

Thank you for posting! So since I can't use RST due to SSDs in RAID 0 will be my boot drive what should I do with my current 64GB M4 after completing the transfer process to the RAID 0 SSDs:

1. Plug the 64GB M4 into the Marvell 6GB SATA connection (even though Marvell doesn't support TRIM and have it remain there as a extra drive.
2. Plug the 64GB M4 into a Intel 3GB SATA connection (I don't know if 3GB SATA connections support TRIM on SSDs) even though it would probally bottleneck the speed of the 64GB M4 but doing so will leave the Marvell SATA connections empty thus I can once again disable Marvell from the BIOS.
3. Once the transfer of information to the two RAID 0 SSDs is finished unplug the 64GB M4 SSD and remove it from the computer or just leave it plugged into the Marvell SATA connection but have the BIOS disable the Marvell connection until I find a need for it.

Also after going on ASUS website looking for RAID drivers for the upcoming process I couldn't find the drivers but I did see a BIOS updated to 0651.
Where on the ASUS P8Z68 Deluxe "downloads" would I find the RAID 0 needed drivers and do people recommend updating the BIOS to 0651 (basically people who now running that BIOS how is it working or should I stay with the stock BIOS)? Also where exactly can I find the " .inf file " for my Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit and if putting on a cd any recommended programs to help the process?
Any other recommendations and advice?

Quote - not exactly. First, you cannot use RST when you have SSD drives as your boot drive End Quote

Don't tell my computers that, it may stop working. I have a P55 MB with Sata II SSD as boot drive and am using the Intel RST (Bios set to AHCI). Same on Z68 MB except boot SSD is a Agility III Sata III SSD. Also using RST on my SB laptop, w/Sata III M4 SSD boot drive.

And from Intel on RST
This driver supports RAID 5 & 10 on specific desktop platforms; supports RAID 0, 1, AHCI & Matrix RAID on specific desktop and mobile platforms. The driver should be installed after the operating system has been installed. F6 and RAID BIOS configurations need to be performed prior to installation of this driver for proper operation.
End quote.

Of Coarse you lose trim support when SSD is a member drive of raid0/1/5/10

Don't do the clone from 64 Gig SSD to Pair of Raid0 SSDs, Do a clean install. Just leave the 64 gig SSD disconnected until you have completted the installation then stick it on the marvel controller, or if you have one of the Intel Sata II ports still avallable, use it (If on The Sata II then trim will be passed since it is not a member drive)