Sign in with
Your question
Solved

How to tell if your board is DOA (ASUS M4A78T-E)

Last response: in Motherboards
March 13, 2010 5:02:58 PM

Here is my build:

ASUS M4A78T-E
AMD Phenom II X4 1955
Corsair XMS3 Dual-Channel DDR3 1333MHz RAM 2GB (2 x 1024)
Hitachi Deskstar 1TB SATA HDD 16MB Cache 7200RPM
ULTRA 600W LP PSU

So I put everything in, read the manual, double and quadruple checked everything, and when I went to hit the power button nothing happened. The green LED light on the motherboard lights up when I turn the power on from the back, but nothing when I try to hit the "power" button. Literally nothing, nothing spins, nothing makes noise, nothing even attempts to move, the power LED doesn't even blink on the front panel. So does that mean the board is DOA? What could be wrong?

*no it's not a bad case, I got a bad board that wouldn't POST, so I took it back and even got a new CPU (I didn't want to try to get the CPU off the heatsink as it was stuck). When I was trouble-shooting the first board I read somewhere that you should take out the motherboard battery, once I did that and put it back in nothing would happen to the first board. So that's when I went to exchange it. So everything now is the same except the MOBO and CPU.

Please help...

More about : board doa asus m4a78t

March 13, 2010 5:09:10 PM

Wait could it be the power supply?

Bingo!? Yes/No?

There's not other reason to explain why it wouldn't start right? But then why was it working beforehand? Could a faulty PSU cause the board to not be able to POST? The fans were spinning and everything with the first board. Now with the second board there is nothing going on.

But if that's true then why is the green LED lit up on the MOBO? Could it be good enough to light up the LED but something else is prevent big amounts of power going through it as in to start the system?

*I check that the wires were all in place at the switch end and at the mobo end. Everything is in place I double/triple checked.
a b Ĉ ASUS
a b V Motherboard
March 13, 2010 6:04:36 PM

Welcome to the forums!

Your PSU isnt the issue here as it rates well in the requirements of your above mentioned hardware.

really make sure all your connections are made properly, when you have a light on it means that the power is reaching your board. But if it shows that your machine doesnt boot let alone POSt ... leave the guess work to thinking that the board is dead.

Take one of the rams out of the clots and check if it POST's

The other thing that comes to mind may be - that your PSU IS indeed faulty and cant provide ample power for the PC to boot. see if you can get a spare PSU to test it out, a 500W will be enough to feed the parts mentioned
Related resources
March 14, 2010 12:29:15 AM

Lutfij said:
Welcome to the forums!

Your PSU isnt the issue here as it rates well in the requirements of your above mentioned hardware.

really make sure all your connections are made properly, when you have a light on it means that the power is reaching your board. But if it shows that your machine doesnt boot let alone POSt ... leave the guess work to thinking that the board is dead.

Take one of the rams out of the clots and check if it POST's

The other thing that comes to mind may be - that your PSU IS indeed faulty and cant provide ample power for the PC to boot. see if you can get a spare PSU to test it out, a 500W will be enough to feed the parts mentioned

I do have another PSU on my other computer but I don't want anything to go wrong, and luckily I bought it off a retailer with physical stores too so I'm going to go back and get a different PSU.

The chances of getting two bad MOBO's and CPU's is slim and since I replaced both I don't think that's the issue. It could be incompatible RAM (in the ASUS manual it doesn't list the specific RAM I have, Corsair, as compatible) but in this instance of my problem that probably isn't it.

I don't know how many times I can check and re-check, it's really hard to hook these things up the wrong way as the manufacturers make it almost impossible. You'd have to be a big idiot (but then why would you build your own rig) and hammer something in to fit and attach it wrong. I've more than quadruple checked.
a b Ĉ ASUS
a b V Motherboard
March 14, 2010 1:03:43 AM

lol :)  ok check with the new PSU and let us know how that works out. If its not within the QVL(qualified vendor list) then see if you can find rams mentioned in the QVL that are supported by your asus board and swap them at your microcenter.
March 14, 2010 4:33:26 AM

Lutfij said:
lol :)  ok check with the new PSU and let us know how that works out. If its not within the QVL(qualified vendor list) then see if you can find rams mentioned in the QVL that are supported by your asus board and swap them at your microcenter.

:wahoo: 

Thanks so much to everyone replying

This is really killing me now, here is the update:

So just for kicks I wake up from a nap and hit the power switch, CPU fan and everything starts going. Of course nothing happens, no POST. Can anyone explain this? Why did it not power at all but then randomly start? Is there a short somewhere in the system? I am not using standoffs, I didn't think I needed them because the ULTRA Case I'm using has space between where the board sits and the back of the case. So I wouldn't need standoffs right?????????????? (I checked the sticky'd thread as it has a list of troubleshooting and newb mistakes)

http://www.compusa.com/applications/SearchTools/item-de... (link to exact case used)

Memory as I put in my first post is the Corsair CM3X1024-1333C9, and that is definitely listed in the ASUS manual in 2-12 (if anyone has the manual you can check, I quadruple checked though.

So it can't be the RAM (unless I got bad RAM somehow) since it's approved (tried 1 stick in dif slots)
It can't be the MOBO and CPU (I ended up exchanging both)

That leaves the PSU or the case. Which leads me to believe I either have a bad PSU or I'm so dumb that I didn't know that I needed standoffs and it's shorting the board. Someone please check that link I don't think you need them for that case.

Tomorrow morning I'll be exchanging the PSU and as long as I'm there I'll be exchanging the RAM too for the same thing (just to be safe)
March 14, 2010 5:46:02 AM

******* UPDATE

So it turns out that I didn't mount the Motherboard right. I didn't use the Standoff screws. I didn't know what those screws were for and I checked my old factory built desktop and didn't notice that it was raised off the board like that so I just screwed the thing down.

So I just took the board out, put in all the standoff screws and now the board is in, then quadruple check all the connections and it powers up but no beep, no POST. I thought surely this is what was causing my problem...surely there was a short somewhere and putting these standoff screws in and booting would fix my problem :) 

But no, still no POST. Fan spins, keyboard lights up when PSU is turned on from the back but nothing is going on. This leads me to a new set of questions:

1. Can mounting a board without the standoff screws ruin it to the point where it won't POST?

2. Could not using the stand off screws explain the mysterious power/no-power issue after waking up from my nap?

3. What do I do from here?

a. I have ASUS Manual approved RAM

b. 600W of power, no graphics card so plenty for the AMD Phenom X4 BE/RAM/HDD to boot

c. Statistically, getting two bad boards and a bad CPU in succession is very rare. My retailer is not hassling me with returns and they're 15mins away so how would you proceed from here?

d. I actually like this board and don't want a different one. Last step would be to send in to ASUS tech.
March 14, 2010 7:28:38 AM

******* UPDATE

I tried each stick of RAM in a different DIMM, and I tried with a different monitor too. Still nothing.

Did I ruin this board because I mounted it without standoff screws?
a b Ĉ ASUS
a b V Motherboard
March 14, 2010 9:29:41 AM

Um to be honest, how did you manage to put the board into the casing in the first place. That might've caused a short to occur within your case. Can you get another board to test it out (with the risers ofcourse) and take the board to the microcenter to check if its DOA :p 

i dont think you'd need to go that far - take it to the microcenter and see where it goes from there. Technically you wouldn't have been able to connect anything to the board without the risers or you would've had to apply a lot of force as the board would've been like a wobbly sheet in your case
a b V Motherboard
March 14, 2010 8:31:17 PM

have you taken the MB out of the case, added only what is needed to boot(one stick of RAM, power, video card, keyboard and hard drive? If it POSTs and boots out of the case then there is a problem with the way you mounted the motherbord in the case...
March 15, 2010 10:02:10 AM

**********UPDATE

**********SOLUTION:

I forgot to plug the power cable into the the board for the CPU. Without power to the CPU there is no way it's going to POST

Best solution

a b Ĉ ASUS
a b V Motherboard
March 15, 2010 11:03:27 AM

You probably forgot something simple, follow the trouble-shooting steps in this thread:

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/261145-31-read-postin...

One of the most common mistakes is not plugging in the CPU power connector which is separate from the 24 pin connector for the motherboard, the CPU power connector is close to the CPU, not near the MOBO connector :sarcastic: 
March 18, 2010 5:04:17 AM

Best answer selected by john5246.
a b Ĉ ASUS
a b V Motherboard
March 21, 2010 11:15:44 PM

Thanx :) 
!