Brand new system. Stalker clear sky causes reboot

GoldenShadow

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2008
Something on my old system was going out so I upgraded all the major components.

I used my old case, old power supply, old sound card
New Motherboard, new cpu, new ram, new video card

Heres the specs.
(copied from my Steam profile)

Windows Vista Home Premium 32bit
Case: Antec Nine Hundred
Power: Thermaltake 750 Watt Modular Powersupply
MotherBoard: MSI X58 Platinum
CPU: Intel i7 920 2.67Ghz
RAM: 6GB PC3-12800 1600Mhz
Harddrive1:Seagate SATA 300GB (Vista OS)
Harddrive2:Western Digital SATA 500GB (Games)
Harddrive3:Western Digital SATA 1TB (Media Center Storage)
DVD-RW1: IDE Memorex
DVD-RW2: IDE Liteon
TV Tuner1:HDHomerun Dual ClearQAM/ATSC Tuners
TV Tuner2: PCI Hauppauge HVR-1600
Wireless Network: Linksys WMP600N Wireless N PCI Adapter
USB Xbox 360 Wireless Reciever
USB Logitech G15 Keyboard
USB Microsoft Intellimouse Optical
USB Media Center Remote Reciever w/ Remote
USB Novint Falcon

Graphics:
Videocard: EVGA GeForce GTX 275
Monitor: LG 27" Widescreen LCD DVI (1920*1080)

Audio:
Soundcard: Asus PCI-E 1x Xonar D2X 7.1 Analog Out
Reciever: Sony STR-DG2100 7.1 Multi Input
Speakers: Harmon Kardon HKTS 18 (6x satelites 1x Center 1x subwoofer)

After I got everything fully operational yesterday, there was one game that I wanted to try out that I couldn't ever get satisfactory performance in. Stalker Clear Sky

I launch the game and go into the options menu to crank up the advanced graphics and see what this machine can do. All of a sudden! The PC quickly powers down! It starts to reboot and I see the windows recovery page, I click normal startup and everything works fine.

I get worried there is something wrong with my brand new system. I try the same thing again, reboots the computer while I'm in the Stalker Clear Sky options menu.

Next time, I reboot and try again, I click start new game without going into options. Game runs great, The morning scene on my old 4870 was a slideshow, and now its playable and I am happy with the result. If that scene works, the rest of the game will be smooth as Ice. So I notice that I am not crashing at all. I hit escape to go to the menu and try to change some graphics settings, and what do you know.. My computer reboots again.

What the hell is wrong with this software?

GoldenShadow

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2008
Just installed Crysis. Same problem. I got through the menus ok, I set up my resolution and all settings to high. I went to start a new game and it played the intro cutscene of the close up of the nano suit, you know. Then My computer reboots right then. Something is causing it to reboot on 2d screens.

leon2006

Distinguished
Have you remove all ATI drivers before installing nvidia drivers?
Run dxdiags check the results for any HW/SW issues or conflicts.
Try to install just one TV Tuner see if does something. I'm not sure if this is an issue or not. I'm not sure how many Tuner support.

GoldenShadow

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2008
Fixed it. It must have been the power supply.
I had a 750 watt Thermaltake toughpower PSU
I changed it out this morning to a 850 watt Antec Signature series. No more reboots or crashes.