Sign in with
Your question

Do i have enough power?

Last response: in Components
December 13, 2009 12:17:28 PM

Hello everyone, curious on how much power i should have for a PC with a AMD x2 4400+ dual core

BFG 9600gt OC

2x 250g HDD

Currently have a 300w PSU in there and im getting some weird graphics hiccups after an hour or so of playing. Im thinking PSU to small? Would 550w be enough to SLI in a few months when i get around to it?

Thanks in advance for any answers!

More about : power

a c 248 ) Power supply
December 13, 2009 12:35:23 PM

I am not surpised you are having problems during gaming sessions. I checked several references.

Here are the official power requirements for a 9600GT OC video card:

PCI Express®-compliant motherboard with one vacant PCI Express® x16 slot.

425 watt power supply or greater with a combined +12V current rating of 28 amps or more.

One 75 watt, 6-pin, PCI Express® power connector.

That is for the entire system.

The general rule of thumb is a high quality 500 to 550 watt power supply with sufficient current (amps) on the +12 volt rail(s) can easily power a system with any single video card made. A high quality 700 to 750 watt power supply with sufficient current (amps) on the +12 volt rail(s) can power a system with two video cards operating in dual mode. There are a few exceptions like the new ATI Radeon HD 5XXX series cards which use less power due to their energy efficiency.

A high quality 500 to 550 watt psu will have a +12 volt rail rated at 40 amps. A high quality 700 to 750 watt psu will have a +12 volt rail rated at 60 amps.

In addition the power supply should be at least 80+ Bronze certified for energy efficiency. There are some models available which have achieved 80+ Silver and 80+ Gold Certifications.

Corsair, PC Power & Cooling, and Seasonic are some of the brands that have a reputation for high quality power supplies that consistently earn high marks in technical reviews. They are reliable, stable, and come with a 5 year warranty. Some of the newer models come with a 7 year warranty. Lately we've been seeing a few other brands offering some high quality units. An example would be the Antec Earthwatts series which is a major improvement over Antec’s older psu’s like the Basiq models.

Based on the official recommendation, the Corsair VX450 power supply would be an appropriate choice for your current system with just one video card installed. It has a single large +12 volt rail rated at 33 amps:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Bump it up to the Corsair TX750 for two video cards in SLI mode and intense gaming. It has a single large +12 volt rail rated at 60 amps:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
m
l
a c 243 ) Power supply
December 13, 2009 1:07:08 PM

JohnnyLucky said:
425 watt power supply or greater with a combined +12V current rating of 28 amps or more.

A really insane manufacturers reccomendation for a 9600 GT, considering that the 8800 GTX has the roughly same reccomendation ( 450w/28a ) but uses more than twice the power.
m
l
Related resources
a c 248 ) Power supply
December 13, 2009 2:33:24 PM

Dell - The OP's 9600GT OC is the overclocked version. Most technical reviews are for the standard version. Just about all of the 9600GT OC reviews focused on game play frame rates and neglected power consumption. I did manage to find technical reviews indicating system power consumption for the overclocked version was higher, especially with an overclocked cpu and 3D gaming.

The highest overall total power consumption at the wall outlet (mains) was measured in a technical review over at madshrimps.com. They measured 306 watts:

http://www.madshrimps.be/?action=getarticle&number=13&a...

Figured the VX450 would be a very safe bet.
m
l
a c 243 ) Power supply
December 13, 2009 2:37:17 PM

JohnnyLucky said:

Figured the VX450 would be a very safe bet.

No argument there.
I just find it funny how gpu power consumption drops, yet manufacturers power reccomendations increase.
m
l
December 13, 2009 4:04:52 PM

Wow thanks for the reply guys, gonna go with a 550w i can pickup from bestbuy.(BFG 550watt Modular supply).

Was thinking this 650w but if im gonna need 750w to sli then its not worth the 10$ extra. Corsair 650

The graphics problem was that the image would get completely wacked, colors would be all screwed up and there would just be a white screen with some of blue from the game or some color in the background or some other such thing. To messed up to play. Still think its psu?

Edit: Heres a pic i uploaded from trying to play WC3
m
l
!