Building a Gaming Computer : Prossecor & quad core?

darrengeorge80

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2009
Hello, I have recently upgraded my gaming computer with a new 500 Watt power supply 3GB of RAM and a Nvidia GTX 275 896Mb card. Right now i am running on a single core processor AMD Athlon (64) 3800+ 2.41GHz . I asked my local Computer store what i could get for my range of money ( Collage student = no $) and he said to buy the M3A78-CM and also the AMD X4 620 ( what was in stock). What i would like to know is will i be able to run high end game graphics such as Far-cry 2 and of course Crysis with this set up on ULTRA High. I can run them now but on medium with my current set up.

Also should i upgrade to the new windows 7 or vista for gaming?

AMW1011

Distinguished
That would work nicely if you set it to at least 3.0 GHz which should be fine with the stock cooling, if you need help with that then post here for tips. Even with a great processor you wont get ultra high on Crysis, its a crap game so don't worry about it. That said you will have a mean little gaming machine.

If you live in the states, get the regor 250 or x2 545 dual cores. They're faster than the propus for gaming. Too bad you didn't check the anandtech for sale forum. I had a 435 tri core for only $66, but no takers, so I took it back to frys for a refund. The 435 is a good gaming cpu. If you have a credit card, check newegg for a combo deal. Alot of new stuff is in for sale forums. One guy has a regor 245 for only $47 shipped. It's a dual core running at about 2.9 ghtz, plenty fast for gaming.

G

First off, Windows 7 all the way, you will use 10% less RAM, and have 100% less problems, and yes you should upgrade. About the processor, you could probably get a triple core cpu for about the same amount, and something like the amd 720 x3 would definitely outperform it in a lot of games. Also, if you want to keep your 275, i would recommend going with the MSI NF750-G55 AM3. Also if you want to get better results with something like crysis, you should atleast have 4 GB of RAM, but that shouldn't be that big of a problem since you would get Windows 7. Hope this helped, sorry for the lengthy response ;)

darrengeorge80

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2009
I have looked up my current motherboard it is a " AM2NF6G-VSTA " ASRock could i just upgrade this by putting a quad core on it or do i need the motherboard i was told to purchase for quad core?

Sorry, but no.

If you wish to keep your current mobo and save a few bucks your best deal would be the Athlon 64 X2 6000+ Windsor 3.0GHz for $59.

Should be a nice bump in performance and most likely you can re-use your HSF (you will need some thermal paste like OCZ Freeze or Artic Silver 5).

If you have DDR2 800 you should be able to run 3.2GHz with the clock at 214MHz (bringing your RAMs to spec speed 800MHz). Drop the HT to x4.

If you wish to go higher you will have to decrease the memory ratio to 333MHz, and should consider investing in more substantial cooling (which could be moved to a new motherboard in the future).