Crazy problem, created when installing a new ssd

kingofspades

Distinguished
Jul 27, 2011
My laptop a Dell Studio 1558 was running great, and I decided I wanted a faster boot. So I went with a 60gb Corsair Nova 2 SSD.

I did all the usual before I go into my laptop, took out battery and plug, discharged static electricity on me and laptop, and pulled the HD, then put the new one in.

I then went into the Bios screen, the new SSD was recognized, I changed the HD mode to AHCI and I put my Windows 7 Disk in and proceeded to install.

The installation was about 20 seconds in and the computer shut off.

I repeated and computer shut off a little earlier in installation.

I then went into the Bios and computer shut down while I was in the bios screen.

At this point I put my old HD back in, it booted fine. Got into windows with no problems, did some research for 30 minutes or so and then restarted.

Now with my old HD in, the computer shuts down in the bios screen or while loading windows...HOWEVER sometimes it will get into Windows, and if Windows actually loads; it does not shut off.

I put the SSD back just to see....same issue as before (with the SSD in it shuts off much quicker than with the traditional HD).

Here is what I have tried and checked.

-CPU temp stays less than 35c under loads. (I put arctic silver 5 on the processor about a month ago)
-GPU has no sensor, but is under the same heat sink also with ac5.
-SSD works fine inside a different laptop
-My HDD works fine if it gets into windows (which is 1 in 3 times)
-Updated the Bios via Dells Website
-Reset Cmos
-Replaced Memory with known working and tested memory.
-Ran with only battery, only ac adapter, alternate ac adapter, and both battery and adapter
-Inside of laptop is dust free

The crazy thing about this is when it loads into windows, it does not shut off. Has anyone ever heard of anything like this or can anyone give me some troubleshooting ideas?

Feel free to recommend whatever you can think of....I diagnose and repair hardware issues for an IT company, I am perfectly capable of breaking down the computer 100% and probably will do that when I'm done with this post. I don't believe I will find any loose cables or anything, as the computer was working fine before I swapped this out....

kingofspades

Distinguished
Jul 27, 2011
I tore the computer completely apart last night and put it back together, just as I expected. I found no loose wires, no damage anywhere, no dust, no issues. I put it back together and still have the same issue.

I have confirmed that this is not a physical HD problem now, as I can run bios with no HD in the computer and it still shuts down. It takes longer but will still cut off after a few minutes of sitting in the bios screen.

This never happened until the first time I put the SSD in the laptop, I feel pretty certain the SSD has something to do with this, but do not know for sure. There is always coincidence.

I'm hoping someone can give me other ideas of what could be causing this? I don't understand why it runs perfect once it hits windows.

I'm still going to clone the SSD and give it another shot...

Bill Sheppard

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2011
King,
I have the same problem with two different laptops (both HP's) one a couple years old the other pretty new with an i3 processor. My SSD is intel and reviewed as great a 120gb series 320. They both run the same OS
the newer one of course run faster. But, I am thinking that the power draw from the SSD is too much for the laptops power supplies?? The forums all say that the Intel 320's have an 8gb bricking bug, intel has a firmware update for that but mine did not lose any data? Let me know what you come up with for a fix.
Bill Sheppard