PCIE x16 to x8 Converter - aka Wearout Extender

georgewkenny

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2009
Hello all.

I have a HP ML110 server which has 3 black PCIE x8 slots and I need to install a better graphics card to improve on the standard VGA motherboard port.

Obviously, finding an x8 graphics card is near on impossible, but during my searching, Ive read about these "wearout extenders" which allow you to install an x16 PCI device into an x8 slot ? ? ?

I found loads of suppliers in the US and some on ebay from Taiwan who wanted to charge costly shipping to the UK. I then finally found a uk supplier which is great and think that the below device will do the trick.

My only question is - when I plug the connector directly into the mobo's x8 slot, then plug in my new x16 card, wont the height difference from the converter itself raise the posistion of the x16 card and thus prevent it from showing its VGA+DVI ports out the rear of the PC tower?

Obviously, I dont want to have to snap off the metal plate at the rear of the card and just leave it exposed, nor have to bully my tower to get the card in.

Just thought I'd ask in the event anyone has used one of these extenders and can tell me accurately. Also, I assume the link to the product below is correct - (Ive got an x8 slot (small) and need to insert an x16 card (double the size)). Thanks.

http://linitx.com/viewproduct.php?prodid=11465

georgewkenny

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2009
My x8 slots arent open at the back, they have an end to them - I've read about people cutting them out - Im not entirely sold on the notion of doing that.

Have you tried it and how easy / painful can it become?

My other option is a usb graphics adapter, but they're just slutter and additional power at the back of the case. . . :(

George.