Computer hangs and sometimes doen't start

mcronos

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2010
Hi. I'm a pc technik and recently receive a pc with some trouble that I can't diagnose.

First, this pc have a few windows hangs, produced by some virus and malware's. After remove it, the computer seems to work again normally, but before and after this cleanning, had some mouse hangs, for about 1 or 2 seconds... And after this, in ocations the computer doesn't start, like did'nt detects the hard drive. but resetting one or two times solve the problem.
I think that the reinstalation of windows won't help, cause seems to be a hard issue.

Some times is the dvd writer the one who don't starts, but the light is on, so isn't a electrical problem, at least from the power supply.

I tested the memory with memtest86+ and didn't find anything.

I've switched the SATA cables between the HDD and DVD, but the pc started normally, so I can't say is in the cables.

Try changing the SATA cables from diferent slots, and the molex connectors, but nothing.

Resetting the BIOS won't seems to help.

I mean, the failure is sporadic, so I couldn't detect what can be the problem.

I'm in a nebula, I can't find the way to fix this problem.

I let you The system configuration so you can see something I can't see. Please help me.

AMD Ahtlon LE-1640
Mother ECS A740GM-M v1.0
HDD Western Digital WD1600AAJS
Generic 1x1GB DDR2 800mhz
DVD Writer LG GH22NS45

TNX and sorry about my english, but I'm Argentinian, so I tryied to explain the problem with my short language :p

Solution

Does it hang before or after the windows logo? If it's before the logo, do you see a black BIOS screen with white letters? When it hangs, what's the last thing the BIOS was working on?

Try running a chkdsk /r to scan the hard drive for errors. Start-->run-->chkdsk /r. It will run the next time you restart.

The malware also could've damaged your registry or system files. I would suggest using ccleaner to scan and repair any registry problems. Performing a windows repair will fix damage to your system files.
http://www.ccleaner.com/

DeathAbyss

Distinguished
Mar 12, 2010
What is the os of the computer?
I've experienced a similar situation before. This was several years back, and I was using XP, and didn't bother to purchase anti-virus software. Naturally, after a while, it was filled with viruses. I then downloaded a free anti-virus software that was supposedly the best free resource back then, and cleaned my computer. Afterwards, my computer functioned oddly, with occasional freezes, etc.
It turns out, the anti-virus was overly sensitive and picked up some of the system files as virus and deleted them. I think the best bet would be to simply reinstall the os, or choose to do a repair function by inserting the windows installation disc and selecting repair.
Hope that helps.

mcronos

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2010
TNX both. The os is Windwos XP SP2.

I can't tell when doesn't start properly, sometimes happens, sometimes don't.

And it seems to hang on windows, in any moment, like if the mouse doesn't move.

It's the only indication that makes me realize that it doesn't work properly.

Sometimes hangs on boot, but at the starting moment, like if don't recongnize some device. it happnes sometimes too, not always.

I realized that can be a problem with the reset/power button. when the reset button is pressed, it's like the pc doesn't respond. The light on the monitor start to blink, but nothings happens.

I've tryed to be more than clear. Hope you can help

tnx again

Does it hang before or after the windows logo? If it's before the logo, do you see a black BIOS screen with white letters? When it hangs, what's the last thing the BIOS was working on?

Try running a chkdsk /r to scan the hard drive for errors. Start-->run-->chkdsk /r. It will run the next time you restart.

The malware also could've damaged your registry or system files. I would suggest using ccleaner to scan and repair any registry problems. Performing a windows repair will fix damage to your system files.
http://www.ccleaner.com/

Solution

mcronos

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2010

TNX for your fast response. I've already try with various antivirus, ccleaner and other aplicattions like this before, but the problem still.

Today I try something new. After run Micro-Scope 2000 (wich couldn't find anything), flash the BIOS with the newest version, switched the SATA cables between the DVD and HDD and put it on other motherboard connectors, and reinstall (with complete format) WINXP. Seems to work fine.

The only problem still current it's that the reset button let's the computer in a type of sleep state