Dropped laptop? ? ?

Well, I dropped my year-old HP Pavilion laptop today. It fell about three
feet onto a ceramic tile floor.

Despite the fall, the screen survived, and the equipment seems to be working
perfectly.

I'm wondering if there might be any hidden damage I might expect.
11 answers Last reply
More about dropped laptop

    Ray Jenkins wrote:
    > Well, I dropped my year-old HP Pavilion laptop today. It fell about
    > three feet onto a ceramic tile floor.
    >
    > Despite the fall, the screen survived, and the equipment seems to be
    > working perfectly.
    >
    > I'm wondering if there might be any hidden damage I might expect.

    If it was running at the time, the HD could be damaged. First to do is
    run chkdsk /fix from a command prompt. Second is back up anything of
    value to CD, just in case.

    Ray Jenkins <rayj.balt@verizondelethis.net> wrote:
    : Well, I dropped my year-old HP Pavilion laptop today. It fell about three
    : feet onto a ceramic tile floor.

    : Despite the fall, the screen survived, and the equipment seems to be working
    : perfectly.

    : I'm wondering if there might be any hidden damage I might expect.

    If you have all your data backed up on a CD, DVD, or other backup
    device, you shouldn't worry about it except for the price of
    replacing/repairing a broken computer. For some of us, the data on
    our hard drives is much more valuable than the computer itself.

    Andrew
    --
    ----> Portland, Oregon, USA <----

    Quaoar <quaoar@tenthplanet.net> wrote:
    : Ray Jenkins wrote:
    : > Well, I dropped my year-old HP Pavilion laptop today. It fell about
    : > three feet onto a ceramic tile floor.
    : >
    : > Despite the fall, the screen survived, and the equipment seems to be
    : > working perfectly.
    : >
    : > I'm wondering if there might be any hidden damage I might expect.

    : If it was running at the time, the HD could be damaged. First to do is
    : run chkdsk /fix from a command prompt. Second is back up anything of
    : value to CD, just in case.

    Because hard drives can and will crash all the time, even without
    being dropped, it's a good idea to have everything backed up anyway.
    My desktop harddrive crashed on me about two months ago - I had so
    much data on it that it was hard to put even on DVD's, but I had
    copied the important stuff to a shadow drive long before the crash.

    Andrew
    --
    ----> Portland, Oregon, USA <----

    Andrew wrote:

    > Quaoar <quaoar@tenthplanet.net> wrote:
    > : Ray Jenkins wrote:
    > : > Well, I dropped my year-old HP Pavilion laptop today. It fell about
    > : > three feet onto a ceramic tile floor.
    > : >
    > : > Despite the fall, the screen survived, and the equipment seems to be
    > : > working perfectly.
    > : >
    > : > I'm wondering if there might be any hidden damage I might expect.
    >
    > : If it was running at the time, the HD could be damaged. First to do is
    > : run chkdsk /fix from a command prompt. Second is back up anything of
    > : value to CD, just in case.
    >
    > Because hard drives can and will crash all the time, even without
    > being dropped, it's a good idea to have everything backed up anyway.
    > My desktop harddrive crashed on me about two months ago - I had so
    > much data on it that it was hard to put even on DVD's, but I had
    > copied the important stuff to a shadow drive long before the crash.

    I've found that if I backup all my files, I never need the backup.

    If I don't backup my files, my system crashes.

    It's one of Murphy's corollaries. <g>

    Larry

    Quaoar wrote:

    > Ray Jenkins wrote:
    >
    >>Well, I dropped my year-old HP Pavilion laptop today. It fell about
    >>three feet onto a ceramic tile floor.
    >>
    >>Despite the fall, the screen survived, and the equipment seems to be
    >>working perfectly.
    >>
    >>I'm wondering if there might be any hidden damage I might expect.
    >

    > If it was running at the time, the HD could be damaged. First to do is
    > run chkdsk /fix from a command prompt. Second is back up anything of
    > value to CD, just in case.

    Wise advice except I would do the reverse since you never know what you
    will end up with once you run chkdsk with /fix. backup would be the very
    first of my priorities, second I would check for bad sectors and then I
    would run chkdsk with suffix to detect any problems. Then and only then,
    i would use the /fix if errors are found.

    If you end up with no errors, consider yourself lucky and test your
    machine thoroughly during a few days before trusting with valuable data.

    --
    John Doue

    John Doue wrote:
    > Quaoar wrote:
    >
    >> Ray Jenkins wrote:
    >>
    >>> Well, I dropped my year-old HP Pavilion laptop today. It fell about
    >>> three feet onto a ceramic tile floor.
    >>>
    >>> Despite the fall, the screen survived, and the equipment seems to be
    >>> working perfectly.
    >>>
    >>> I'm wondering if there might be any hidden damage I might expect.
    >>

    >> If it was running at the time, the HD could be damaged. First to do is
    >> run chkdsk /fix from a command prompt. Second is back up anything of
    >> value to CD, just in case.

    > Wise advice except I would do the reverse since you never know what you
    > will end up with once you run chkdsk with /fix. backup would be the very
    > first of my priorities, second I would check for bad sectors and then I
    > would run chkdsk with suffix to detect any problems. Then and only then,
    > i would use the /fix if errors are found.
    >
    > If you end up with no errors, consider yourself lucky and test your
    > machine thoroughly during a few days before trusting with valuable data.

    Typo: I of course meant "without" suffix and not "with". Sorry.

    --
    John Doue

    You are VERY lucky.

    Yes, there could be hidden damage. The hard drive might have been
    damaged, and the damage might not be immediately apparent.

    You also might have broken plastics or internal supports for {could be
    anything} that you might not be immediately aware of, and that might not
    currently be causing problems. For example, you might have broken off
    the supports for the CPU fan, but until or unless it shifts, it may not
    cause a problem.

    There's really no way to be absoutely sure, and it's also very possible
    that you didn't do any hidden damage. Personally, I would assume that
    everything is ok and see what happens. Taking the laptop apart for an
    inspection probably has more probability of doing more harm than good.

    [An obvious question, but with the laptop powered off, does anything
    "rattle" when you shake it [not TOO aggressively]].

    Ray Jenkins wrote:
    > Well, I dropped my year-old HP Pavilion laptop today. It fell about three
    > feet onto a ceramic tile floor.
    >
    > Despite the fall, the screen survived, and the equipment seems to be working
    > perfectly.
    >
    > I'm wondering if there might be any hidden damage I might expect.

    Thanks Barry -- as far as I can now tell everything is still in working
    order. As you say, I'm just lucky.

    I was just carrying too many things, trying to unlock a door. I sure learned
    a lesson.

    > You are VERY lucky.
    >
    > Yes, there could be hidden damage. The hard drive might have been
    > damaged, and the damage might not be immediately apparent.
    >
    > You also might have broken plastics or internal supports for {could be
    > anything} that you might not be immediately aware of, and that might not
    > currently be causing problems. For example, you might have broken off
    > the supports for the CPU fan, but until or unless it shifts, it may not
    > cause a problem.
    >
    > There's really no way to be absoutely sure, and it's also very possible
    > that you didn't do any hidden damage. Personally, I would assume that
    > everything is ok and see what happens. Taking the laptop apart for an
    > inspection probably has more probability of doing more harm than good.
    >
    > [An obvious question, but with the laptop powered off, does anything
    > "rattle" when you shake it [not TOO aggressively]].
    >

    > Ray Jenkins wrote:
    > > Well, I dropped my year-old HP Pavilion laptop today. It fell about
    three
    > > feet onto a ceramic tile floor.
    > >
    > > Despite the fall, the screen survived, and the equipment seems to be
    working
    > > perfectly.
    > >
    > > I'm wondering if there might be any hidden damage I might expect.

    Yes - all seems to be good. As others have posted - just keep your backups
    up to date and the hard drive would be the most suspect.

    About two years ago, I had my brand new T23 from work sitting on my desk at
    home. I also had my 80GB external Buslink USB Drive connected to it. I
    thought that I'd be smart and back up my data - had some really important
    data on there with no other backups.

    My then 3 year old found his way into my home office/den and before I could
    even look - he grabbed the usb cable and pulled - both drive and laptop went
    onto the floor. Immediate "Ca-chunk ca-chunk ca-chunk" sounds coming from
    both. Lost ALL my data. Well - two hard drives also. And one power
    connector that got broken.

    I learned a valuable lesson that day. The three year old? - well, all I
    could do was take him out and play with him - and tell him no more touching
    wires. He turns 5 next week during a daddy / son campout.

    "ClevelandTech" <clevelandtech@hotmail.com> wrote in
    > I learned a valuable lesson that day. The three year old? - well, all
    > I could do was take him out and play with him - and tell him no more
    > touching wires. He turns 5 next week during a daddy / son campout.

    leave the laptop at home!

    I've noticed over years that many "accidents" are not accidents, in
    the sense that if you sit down and think about the possibilities, you
    are very likely to spot the accident before it happens. So many
    "accidents" reflect not a direct Murphy's Law assault but rather, they
    reflect neglect.

    Re slippery laptops, I've got an Averatec and for slippery, it's a
    winner. The solution is a padded soft zipper case found in a computer
    store. Which by the way, conceals the laptop inside it, thereby
    making you and your laptop a less obvious ripoff target in some public
    place.

    Cheers -- Martha Adams

Laptops HP Pavilion Product