Computer powers on then off

At first my computer started to power on for a few seconds then power off, then power on for good and boot into windows, I could play games and everything. then it started powering on then off for good. I opened the case and powered it on and all the fans were running and then it powered off about 3 seconds later. I think it is a bad PSU but I have no way of knowing, If anyone knows what it can be for sure, or a best guess, that would help alot thanks.
5 answers Last reply
More about computer powers
  1. read this http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/261145-31-read-posting-boot-problems try the steps then post back if you still have problems.
  2. I went through the list of possible problems and I dont think any are the problem. My computer one day when I turned it on shut down then powered on again for good. It progressively got worse untill It would only power on for a few seconds then power off. So I RMA'd the power supply. Because I think it wasn't supplying power efficently. When I get a new powersupply and put it in the computer and if the problem persists, what do you think I should do. Any thoughts would be most helpfull.
  3. Niklas_13 said:
    read this http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/261145-31-read-posting-boot-problems try the steps then post back if you still have problems.

I looked at the link and I don't think the problem is caused by any of them. I RMA'd the powersupply and I should be getting a new on soon. But if the problem persists what do you think the problem is. My computer would turn on then off then on and boot into windows, and I could play games and email and everything, then the computer would only power on for a few seconds then power off for good, I hope it is just a bad powersupply. Thanks for your imput on this matter.
  4. Sounds like it is the power supply. Also, you could be underpowering the computer, but if that was the case it wouldn't get progressively worse. If you have a spare power supply u can try and power it that way to see if it will work.
  5. If the problem persists, please post specs of the system, including those of any changed parts such as the original PSU.
Ask a new question

Read More

Homebuilt Computer Power Systems