G

it really depends on what you are using it for. Also, with i7 you have to get more expensive ram, motherboard, and everything else for it to be worth it.

Kraynor

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2007

Eh... that's what they said about quad core CPUs when they were first launched. Also, I doubt software is going to be optimised for Hyper-threaded CPUs simply because it doesn't make sense from a business standpoint, you'd be alienating all AMD users. Really, if you don't need the extra power, then an i5 is fine and will save you cash in the Motherboard and RAM department.

G

go with the Intel Core i5-750 Lynnfield 2.66GHz (199.99) easily more than you need and will save you money with the mobo and ram.

ulysses35

Distinguished
i7 920 any day - sure it is more expensive, but the performance due to triple channel memory is worth having.

HT doesnt do a great deal - not thats really noticable.

LePhuronn

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2007
If you're going with the P55 chipset and you plan on using multi-threaded apps then the i7 860 may be worth the investment. If not, stick with an i5.

And if you're seriously considering the i7 860 then it may be worth doing it "properly" and going i7 920 on X58 chipset - DDR3 prices are stabilising, triple channel kits aren't much more expensive than dual-channel kits and you can get some solid X58 motherboards for good money now.

G

i hope they do, intel needs to be tought a lesson for charging 1000$ for a processor. That might drive prices down by making things a bit more competitive. Also, just a question not to hijack your thread, but didn't Intel basically copy hyper transports and call it QPI for their i7 processors.

Not really, or at the very least it was legal (as they share info periodically as part of their license agreements). I don't remember the full story on that and the IMC, but I remember arguments about it in the past.

G

o ok, it just normally seems that AMD invents and innovates things, and intel just changes the name, like x86-64 technology, IMC, and integrating graphics on the video card.

AMW1011

Distinguished

Triple channel does nothing for the desktop user without them having insanely fast SSDs in their rig. Triple channel is a marketing ploy, it looks great in synthetics but is useless in most real world tasks. Going with i5 750 or the X3440 makes much more sense, the extra $140-$200 saved can do better things that will actually make a difference.

Triple channel memory is not affected by a storage drive. What is affected by dual and triple channel memory is memory bandwidth sensitive programs like CAD.

notty22

Distinguished
i hope they do, intel needs to be tought a lesson for charging 1000$ for a processor. That might drive prices down by making things a bit more competitive. Also, just a question not to hijack your thread, but didn't Intel basically copy hyper transports and call it QPI for their i7 processors.

AMD charged a 1000 dollars for a processor just a few years ago. Athlon 64 FX-60 , if you wanted to save a few hundred bucks they had a model clocked 200mhz less. Maybe this is Karma. lol

z992

Distinguished
Nov 29, 2009

Today an HP rep told me the i7 was similar to the AMD Quad Core Phenom, Is he correct and if so which processor is better?

In pure gaming, the Phenom II (not Phenom (I)) and i7 trade blows. However, in most other apps (not all, but a good number) the i7 handily beats the PII. It all depends on what you are trying to do. In design and concept however, yes, they are very similar. Much more similar than Intels and AMDs have been in recent years.

cyberkuberiah

Distinguished
May 5, 2009
1366 was out of budget for me for a long time since last year . but when 1156 came out , and especially i5 750 for 200$ , i bought a nice cooler , hyper 212+ for 30 , and i had it to 4.0ghz(20x200) with antec 300's good airflow . i am primarily a gamer and this system will last me at least 2-3 years before new uArch and process come out . i am fully satisfied with this setup .

cyberkuberiah

Distinguished
May 5, 2009
hyperthreading and triple channel are really useful in server apps , not that useful for desktop usage unless you are a professional video encoder or something , so that it matters . my 2 cents .