Interesting noise coming from the computer??

kylo

Distinguished
Sep 13, 2009
I just built a new computer system. All the hardware finally came today :D!! I installed all the hardware then the operating system without any issues. It's been AWESOME so far, but I noticed one little thing!!! It's very quiet system.. So I was sitting there listening to it while I was downloading some stuff from the internet, and all i could hear was the CPU or something working, and its the only noise too!!!

The pc is dead silent then as soon as I start opening a program, surfing on the net, or downloading something is when it makes that weird sound??? It's not a fan, and it doesn't sound bad it's just I weird....! The HardDrive has a slight vibration right (when you hear the noise).. Is this bad or is that just how HD's are.. If it is the HD is there a way to dampen the sound?

Specs..........................................................................................................................................................................
NEW SYSTEM- running windows XP pro 32bit
CPU - AMD Athlon II X2 245 Regor 2.9GHz 2 x 1MB L2 Cache Socket AM3 65W Dual-Core Processor (( stock fan and HS - fan runs at 1800rpm ))
Memory - G.SKILL 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 1066 (PC2 8500)
MoBo - GIGABYTE GA-MA785GM-US2H AM3/AM2+/AM2 AMD 785G HDMI Micro ATX
HD - 500GB 7200 RPM 32MB Cache SATA
PSU - 600watt rosewill ((120mm fan built in runs at about 800rpm))
Monitor - 20inch flatscreen

Computer idles at 30c and with PRIME95 running for 20min it peaked at 51c

So far the average temp while i use it is between 35c - 43c.

I've only had the comp up and running for about 13hrs soo..!!

I also have a few other questions about the bios setting and stuff... but i"lll make another post in the correct spot later on today...

kylo

Distinguished
Sep 13, 2009
ok...!! I moved the hard-drive and stuck it on the bottom of the case on top of 2 - 1sq inch foam strips i cut.... WORKS great... no noise at all.... its temps are the same!! now i have to stick my ear up to a vent on the case to make sure the fans are still on.. :)

Loving it..!!