To Upgrade or Not

Hi, I'm a first time poster here. I need an opinion on whether or not I should upgrade my computer. I currently have an ASUS M2N-SLI Deluxe motherboard that's socket AM2 with a nForce 570 SLI MCP chipset. I have an AMD Athlon 64 x2 3800+ processor as well. Should I upgrade to a new motherboard, processor, and DDR3 RAM, or should I just try to max out what I have?
11 answers Last reply
More about upgrade
  1. well it really depends on what you want to use it for. if it is for gaming, then yes now is a great time to upgrade. if it is for surfing the web, then no not really, just overclock it until it cant go no more :pt1cable:
  2. I'm using it for gaming currently. Everything is good right now, except the motherboard and processor. If I upgrade it, I'll need new RAM as well. Any suggestions?
  3. i like amd, so i would go with amd 955, 720, or 550 depending on if you want quad triple or dual core. Also theres a great combo deal on newegg for a great mobo, great ram and the 955 for 330$

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?ItemList=Combo.308218

also you might want to get a better video card, like a 4890 or 5770
  4. Quote:
    i like amd, so i would go with amd 955, 720, or 550 depending on if you want quad triple or dual core. Also theres a great combo deal on newegg for a great mobo, great ram and the 955 for 330$

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?ItemList=Combo.308218

also you might want to get a better video card, like a 4890 or 5770

Right now I have a nVidia GTX 260. I'm thinking about getting another for the SLI. The combo doesn't look bad, but I thought Tom's recommended to stay away from the Phenom?
  5. if you have a nvidia card then maybe, but i see no reason why to stay away from the phenom 2 series. The phenoms werent great, but phenom II is amazing. Maybe look at this:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?ItemList=Combo.309196

that with 2 260s and 4 gigs of ram would be great, but also much more expensive then the amd setup
  6. Phenom more or less is the same as athlon
  7. Phenom is basically athlon, but phenom II is much, much better
  8. What the difference with a athlon and a phenom II then?
  9. just want to make sure we are talking about athlon, not athlon II, but as far as athlon goes...everything. Phenom II is all 45 nm, 6 Mb of L3 cache, multicore, faster clock speeds, different cores, faster hyper transports, different voltage, i could keep on going but yeah they are entirely different.
  10. If money wasn't an issue, what would you recommend for a motherboard and processor?
  11. if money wasn't an issue i would recommend the i7 920 and the GIGABYTE GA-X58A-UD7 LGA 1366 Intel X58,EVGA E760 CLASSIFIED "Overclocker's Pick" 3-Way SLI + PhysX 1366 Intel X58 EATX Intel Motherboard, or another high end asus i7 board (but money is always an issue and a build like this will cost somwhere around 3000$)
Ask a new question

Read More

Motherboards Components Product