Sign in with
Your question
Closed

H60 Thermal Compound

Last response: in Overclocking
a b K Overclocking
December 25, 2011 4:39:07 PM

Hi, I have a Corsair H60 Water Cooler that has thermal compound pre-applied. I also have a tube of MX-4 by Arctic Cooling and was wondering if anyone knew what thermal compound was better. I am leaning towards the MX-4.

Thank you,

HostileDonut

More about : h60 thermal compound

Best solution

a c 324 K Overclocking
December 25, 2011 5:36:02 PM

The pre-applied thermal paste is fine but if you want to switch it out, that's up to you. Most people use it without any issues. You'd likely only see a 1-2C difference (at very most) between that paste and applying your own. I don't recall many people testing both out- might be a worthwhile test...?
a b K Overclocking
December 25, 2011 5:38:32 PM

Well, I have never applied thermal compound before. haha. I know all I need is about the size of a grain of rice, so I think I might apply my new stuff just to get some experience.
Related resources
a b K Overclocking
December 25, 2011 5:40:30 PM

Also, just one more question about the H60, I have it and on the motherboard bracket there is a piece of plastic. I don't know if I am supposed to take it off, as I would have to cut it off. Should I leave it on or take it off? I stink I will leave it on, but I don't want it to melt when the CPU gets hot.
a c 324 K Overclocking
December 25, 2011 5:42:38 PM

Grain of rice might be a bit too much...but a good reference. I always put a dab in the middle of my CPU and then spread evenly using my finger inside a plastic baggie or plastic wrap (keeps fingers clean and no oil from my hands on the hardware). Check YouTube- there are plenty of good videos on how to apply thermal paste...and a handful of ways to do it.

You posted while I was replying:

Quote:
Also, just one more question about the H60, I have it and on the motherboard bracket there is a piece of plastic. I don't know if I am supposed to take it off, as I would have to cut it off. Should I leave it on or take it off? I stink I will leave it on, but I don't want it to melt when the CPU gets hot.

I'm not exactly sure what you mean...can you post a link or a pic?
a b K Overclocking
December 25, 2011 5:50:27 PM

yeah, sure, just a second.
a c 324 K Overclocking
December 25, 2011 6:00:33 PM

Those appear to be adjustable standoffs for the backplate...you'll want those on and they won't melt.
a b K Overclocking
December 25, 2011 6:02:04 PM

rubix_1011 said:
Those appear to be adjustable standoffs for the backplate...you'll want those on and they won't melt.

No, not the sand offs. Those are metal, but look down by my thumb. I pulled it off a but so you could see it.
a b K Overclocking
December 25, 2011 6:02:06 PM

if the bracket is metal that could be use as isolation on the motherboard
a b K Overclocking
December 25, 2011 6:02:59 PM

what does an insolation do?
a b K Overclocking
December 25, 2011 6:05:23 PM

protecting contact from metal parts and electrical hazards specialy that the bracket goes on the back off the motherboard
a c 324 K Overclocking
December 25, 2011 6:05:38 PM

Yeah, leave that on as well- it prevents shorting of the backplate against the back of your motherboard. If you removed this, your MB would short out against the backplate...lots of people have made this mistake.

Leave it on.
a b K Overclocking
December 25, 2011 6:06:38 PM

Thanks a bunch you guys!
a b K Overclocking
December 25, 2011 6:07:18 PM

Best answer selected by HostileDonut.
!