First Build - i5, seeking some feedback

Tags:
  • Build
  • Computer
  • Systems
  • Product
Last response: in Systems
September 25, 2009 1:54:14 PM

Hello, this is my first computer build, and I was hoping to get some feedback. This computer will be in our living room, so I want visible components to be nice looking. Also, sound is an issue, so I would like it as quiet as possible. Price is not so much of an issue, but obviously, I don't want to throw money away for no reason.

The primary monitor for this will be the 1080p lcd television in the living room. As such, I want to run it at the highest resolution possible. Usage will include dvd/br ripping and playback, some light gaming, playing music through the speaker system, and other general computer tasks.

At first I was going to make this more of a DVR HTPC computer, but I decided that I wanted to make it decently powerful. Once I decided that, I figured it would be best to not keep it on constantly, thus not going for the DVR. Plus, we don't DVR enough stuff to really justify it.

Anyway, here's what I have so far:

Intel i5 750 processor

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
I didn't feel the need to bump up to i7 was really warranted. From what i've read this processor can handle what I need it for, and shouldn't have any issue with any gaming I do on the computer

Gigabyte GA-P55 - UD3R
Mobo was the hardest choice, these are quite confusing. I read that this supported the turboboost that the i5 is capable of. It also seemed to be a reliable board based on the reviews I read.

2 x 2 DDR3 Ram
Haven't picked out the exact type. This should be fine.

Pioneer BDC-2202B 5x Blu-ray/DVD/CD Combo Drive
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000S9V44Y/ref=s9_wish...
This was a pain to figure out. I don't need to burn BR but I would like to read it. BR drives right now seem few and far between. Am I better off getting a regular CD/DVD drive and waiting for these to sort themselves out a bit more first?

Western Digital Caviar Black 1 TB
I had a few considerations here. At first I was going to go with a dual HDD system. One velociraptor drive for the OS, then a larger drive for any data. I was turned off by the complaints of sound on the velociraptor drives though. I decided to go with the black drive, as I heard that given a good case, these will be silent. I considered going with blue or green, but wanted to keep the performance of the black.

Cooler Master Cosmos ATX Full Tower Case Silver
A little expensive, but I really like the look of this case, and it got great reviews as far as quality and sound.

Graphics Card
Haven't yet decided. I was considering going with the GTX 260. Wasn't planning on going for a dual graphics card system.

PSU
Not sure here. Would I be good with 500W? Should I up it in case I upgrade int he future?

Logitech diNovo Edge Keyboard
Loved the look of this, got good reviews, and I've never had a problem with a logitech item.

I already have a wireless logitech mouse that I will use.

More about : build seeking feedback

Best solution

September 25, 2009 2:10:55 PM

It looks pretty decent, but just a few suggestions. The graphics cards now adays are built to operate on a much higher resolution than TVs, so you might be missing out on a bit if you don't have a quality monitor (but this is really just preference). I would also suggest going with the Samsung F3, there's both the 500GB and 1TB available. As for the PSU, 500W might work, but it could be better to go with a good 550W like this Corsair so that you have more room for upgrading.
September 25, 2009 2:19:13 PM

Sorry, I forgot to mention memory. Maybe something like this Kingston would work well for your needs. As for the keyboard, just make sure that you have a bluetooth compatible system, as it doesn't seem to be a regular wireless item.
m
l
Related resources
September 25, 2009 2:35:19 PM

mavanhel said:
Sorry, I forgot to mention memory. Maybe something like this Kingston would work well for your needs. As for the keyboard, just make sure that you have a bluetooth compatible system, as it doesn't seem to be a regular wireless item.

Thanks very much. I was wondering about the bluetooth question myself. Is it possible to just put on a usb bluetooth adapter?
Thanks for the suggestions on the psu and hhd as well. I will most likely go for that larger psu. Is there a particular reason why you suggest the Samsung F3, or is just known to be an overall more quality drive?
m
l
September 25, 2009 2:40:56 PM

The F3 is faster and quieter than the Caviar Black drives. If you only really intend to watch movies and some occasional light gaming, then the GTX260 is overkill. Just about any card will spit out HDMI 1080P video just fine, I would look into the ATI HD4850, though it might be helpful to know which games you might/like to play.
m
l
September 25, 2009 2:49:33 PM

Here is a list of USB Bluetooth adapters from newegg. I don't know what's good and what's not in this list, so I'd suggest you just read over some of the reviews and look for what you need most.
m
l
September 25, 2009 3:34:42 PM

Yeah, right after you mentioned that before I went over to newegg and pulled that list up. It looks like it won't be too bad to throw one of these on, and they seem cheap enough.
Thanks for the HDD advice, I'll switch over to the Samsung one.
As far as which games, I'm not really sure. Like I said, I don't do tons of gaming, but I would like a computer to have enough power so that I don't really need to spend too much time going over system req's if I happen to want to play something. If I can get everything else and start setting it up, and then get a decent card for ~150-175, I think that's what I'll do.
m
l
September 25, 2009 3:50:58 PM

In that range, an ATI HD4890 would be perfect. It will run any game out there today, will last you quite a while with just casual gaming, and can be had for about $175 these days, prices are actually do to drop with the release of the new ATI HD58XX line.
m
l
!