Fans stay powered during sleep (S3)

Status
Not open for further replies.

gtmethod3

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2009
Hey gang,

I am having some difficulty with my rig. I recently reinstalled Windows 7 Ultimate x64 (reformatted the drive and all) and now whenever I put the system to sleep, the fans keep running. Everything else acts normal (lights go out, monitor out, HDs spin down). The problem used to be intermittent. I reinstalled the OS in hopes to fix it, now it is all the time.

For the life of me, I cannot find a cure. I have check and changed BIOS settings, played with every control in Windows power options, unhooked devices, updated drivers, checked jumper settings, you name it. It appears the unit goes into a S1 state, but I don't have that enabled in the BIOS. :fou:

There is a utility called dumppo.exe that fixed issues like this with XP, but no go on 7.

I am using a DFI Lanparty JR P45-T2RS.

I also noticed that the fans stay on sometimes when I shutdown the computer. :cry:

Please, any help would be greatly appreciated.

EDIT: Thanks for all the trouble shooting help everyone! I ended up RMAing the motherboard and apparently there was a serious BIOS issue causing the problems. The board has been working well since.
Thanks in advance

Solution
If its not SW(Bios/Driver) its HW related.

One of my Quad Core PC had similar problem. One by one i disconnected the USB devices on my pc down to minimum requirement (Keyboard and Mice). One of the remote camera systems that i hook(Thru USB) to the computer was causing it.

The other cause that i discovered is one of my memory stick. Never failed any memory test. No hangups or BSOD whatsoever. I was running out of option so i started pulling the memory stick one at a time. I don't know the exact cause of the problem but once i got the replacment the problem went away.

Make sure your PSU have sufficient STB 5V(voltage level and Current Capacity). If the computer bios detect unstable STB5V the PC don't go the sleep(because it can't...

r_manic

Administrator
While Windows 7 automatically downloads and installs drivers for your hardware upon first install, I'd still recommend getting drivers straight from the manufacturer's website. Perhaps all you need are updated drivers for your mobo.

gtmethod3

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2009
Thanks for the info. I tried reinstalling all the drivers I could and still no luck. I am using Windows 7 drivers now versus Vista drivers. I would think it would be better, but maybe there is a problem?

shovenose

Distinguished
i have the same problem. my very loud graphics card is fan controlled when im logged (i use winxp) but it goes to full blast noisiness when i pu my pc into sleep mode. i use a biostar p4m890-m7_pci-e motherboard. my graphics card is an evga geforce 6800 ultra 512mb......

gtmethod3

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2009
I'm not sure if this helps or not, but I have a EVGA GTX 275 and I know that the graphics card fan is controlled independently from the system.

In other words, the graphics card has it's own temp sensor and fan controller built in.

In my case, my graphics card fan seems to be working normally while the other fans in my computer are the problems...

gtmethod3

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2009
The motherboard does not control the fan in the graphics card. It is all independently controlled in the graphics card itself. This is the case for my GTX 275. It may be different for yours.

This may help to pinpoint the problem to just your graphics card instead of the whole computer.

gtmethod3

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2009
This just in: During an improper shutdown, my BIOS was reset to standard settings and the computer goes to sleep perfectly now. What could have caused this? My processor is overclocked, but everything else regarding sleep should have been set. Any ideas?

gtmethod3

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2009
I just went through another complete system reinstall. Everything works perfect except the same sleep issue. The fans and power do not turn off completely either when I shutdown. The CPU fan goes full blast sometimes as well.

Does anyone have a clue what could be going on?

fragard-303

Distinguished
May 13, 2010
i was having this problem i found in bios settings a 'fan smart' option you leave that on and change the one under it from auto to not voltage but the other one it starts with "am" or something ... i couldn't be bothered going into it to find the exact name but yeah i solved my problem and what looks like an annoying problem for many .... well it was for me

leon2006

Distinguished
If its not SW(Bios/Driver) its HW related.

One of my Quad Core PC had similar problem. One by one i disconnected the USB devices on my pc down to minimum requirement (Keyboard and Mice). One of the remote camera systems that i hook(Thru USB) to the computer was causing it.

The other cause that i discovered is one of my memory stick. Never failed any memory test. No hangups or BSOD whatsoever. I was running out of option so i started pulling the memory stick one at a time. I don't know the exact cause of the problem but once i got the replacment the problem went away.

Make sure your PSU have sufficient STB 5V(voltage level and Current Capacity). If the computer bios detect unstable STB5V the PC don't go the sleep(because it can't recover). Un-branded cheap PSU create this problem as well.

Too many USB devices that gets powerd by USB load up the STB5V when sleep mode. The common results the PC don't go to sleep or if it does it can't recover.

Too many possible causes that require some work to figure out.

Solution

gtmethod3

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2009
Thanks for all the trouble shooting help everyone! I ended up RMAing the motherboard and apparently there was a serious BIOS issue causing the problems. The board has been working well since.

Status
Not open for further replies.