64 bit windows 7

i have amd athlon 4450 se 2.30 ghz 3.00 ram compaq sr5170. it says amd 64 on my computer. but the few times i wanted to put 64 bit os on my computer it would not let me. every i looked it says i have 32 bit arch. but amd 64 cpu. someone help me make sense of this
10 answers Last reply
More about windows
  1. what? type better

and if i get your problem, you need to have 64 bit capable parts like RAM, Mobo, and HDD
  2. you know what i meant stop crying. so why does compaq put a 64 bit processor in a machine that has a 32 bit layout
  3. I've never heard of 64bit compatible ram or hdd.. thats simply not true..

It is true your processor and motherboard have to support 64bit.
  4. thanks for the info rand 79 he wants to focus on spelling instead of facts. i just dont understand the concept of selling computers with 64 bit cpu's and they cant use 64 bit operating system because the layout is 32 bit. every where i look it says i have 32 bit Architecture but amd 64 athlon cpu
  5. What you mean by it wont let me?
  6. Uou! ram or hdd 64 bit compatible?! That's a new one. Upendra09...could you please tell me what is the difference between a 32 and 64 bit ram or hdd? Thanks.

Like someguy7 said, what exactly is the problem when you try to install the 64 bit version?
  7. rand_79 said:
    I've never heard of 64bit compatible ram or hdd.. thats simply not true..

It is true your processor and motherboard have to support 64bit.

Agree. I never heard of a 64 bit HDD and ram either.
  8. You should have no problem doing a fresh install of Windows 7 64bit, if your trying to do an upgrade right now from 32-64 that is impossible. You can only upgrade 32-32 and 64-64.
  9. i made a 64 bit HDD and RAM they are giant
Ask a new question

Read More

CPUs Windows 7 Computer AMD