Core 2 E7500 upgrade for dell?

jackbootdash

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2009
I'm upgrading my Dell Vostro 200 so I can play COD MW2 with some semblance of performance. I want to start by swapping out my E2140 Dual 1.6 for an E7500 Wolfdale 2.93 (also going to get a GeForce GTS 250 1GB video card and a new 530W power supply.)

here's my question:

will my Dell mobo (I think it's a G33M02 made by FoxConn) play nice with the E7500?

Solution
The HD 5750 should perform equal or slightly greater than the GTS 250 but will run cooler use less energy and offer DX11. the HD 5770 would be a full step higher in performance while still keeping the other advantages I mentioned.

To really recommend the right card, what resolution is your monitor and what is your budget?

jackbootdash

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2009
Great, thanks.

About the video card, I was using some MW2 benchmark info I found on the web:

http://www.pcgameshardware.com/aid,699312/Modern-Warfare-2-Graphics-card-benchmarks-of-the-latest-Call-of-Duty/Practice/

and didn't see the 5750. Would it be about the same as the 5770? Also, is the 5770 better with my setup, or do you reccommend ATI over Nvidia in general?

Just as a side note have you considered over clocking the vostro 200 does allow for pad mod overclocking I have a e4600 running 3.2ghz up from 2.4 big jump on a dinky vostro also my old 8800gtx LOL anyway nothing to lose if your just gunna stick that chip in your drawer and just so you know that mobo will do 1333 FSB but no quad it can handle up to e8600 I have another one with a e8500 stock and it runs great. I love the vostro 200 for a modable Dell hunk O junk you can also get a Bios that will eneable raid 0 just search for all raid bios in google. I have both of mine with 2 drive raid 0 gives that little extra boost in map loads and such.. Good luck and reply if you need help finding any of this info it is a fun project unless you are not into getting your hands that dirty :) ...

T

hundredislandsboy

Distinguished
Get on Foxconn's website for that particular motherboard. It looks like they haven't released a new BIOS that will tell your motherboard how to handle that CPU. However, the most recent BIOS supports the e8400 so physically the CPU will run but your BIOS screen may show the CPU as something else.

TheViper

Distinguished
The HD 5750 should perform equal or slightly greater than the GTS 250 but will run cooler use less energy and offer DX11. the HD 5770 would be a full step higher in performance while still keeping the other advantages I mentioned.

To really recommend the right card, what resolution is your monitor and what is your budget?

Dell is selling Vostro 2xx series comps with the E7500 already installed.

Solution

hundredislandsboy

Distinguished

That's a good thing then. That way they won't have to woory about upgrading to the E7500. I think the OP's motherboard might be over 2 years old and needs BIOS flash to accept the new CPU. Foxconn on their website has the latest BIOS from August 2008 and doesn't list that CPU.

jackbootdash

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2009

I have side by side 19" LCD monitors. One is the Dell that came with the system, but I don't know the specs. The other is an Acer X193W and it's resolution is 1680x1050.
I found an MSI N250GTS TwinFrozr 1G OC GeForce GTS 250 1GB 256-bit GDDR3 for $139.99 at Newegg
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814127445
and that's about my budget. I may be able to bump up a little if there's a big bang for the extra buck.

Right you are. I got the computer three years ago next month.

Thanks thently, I like geting my hands dirty, even when I'm not sure what they're doing to get dirty. :D