Nashsafc

Distinguished
May 13, 2009
I'm interested in getting this cpu chip (960t), i have a decent cooling heatsink and fan and case setup. I want to know what is the near maximum stock voltage overclock i can get out of this chip? Another thing, about cool & quiet; does the cpu frequency range from a low frequency to the default frequency (3.0Ghz) when cores are being utilised? What do you people recommended as the peak CPU temperature (not core temperature) for the CPU to reach during high stress? Does overclocking frequency potential differ between unique same model chips? My phenom ii 720 is reaching 59 - 60 degrees celcius at high stress, overclocked just to 3.0ghz, on stock voltage. If i want to increase the frequency above 3.0ghz i have to increase the voltage with it. Perhaps my chip has been worn over time because of the overclocking? I used to have it at 3.2ghz on stock voltage.

What do you people recommended as the peak CPU temperature (not core temperature) for the CPU to reach during high stress? - 62c is amd's official number, above and it can start to cause unpredictable behaviour, and 90C is the shut down temp where it will cause physical damage to the cpu. When overclocking/overvolting your putting more stress on the electronics so you want to keep it cooler than 62C under full P95 load.

Does overclocking frequency potential differ between unique same model chips? - yes absolutely, it applies to ALL cpu's, gpu's. They all have slight variances when they are manufactured.

For any overclocking it is adviseable to get a better cooling solution to the cpu so you dont risk damaging it.

Hi.

1- I'd not go above 1.55V, depends of temps.
2- 55ºC on load, not more IMO
3- Cool'n'Quite can be modified using K10Stat for use it between a low frequency (800MHz) and a custom overclocked frequency (i.e 3.8GHz)
4- The 960T is based on Thuban core while the 720 is based on Deneb. The overclock isn't really different but always change from CPU to CPU even with same components. That depends of your CPU revision and batch
5- If you won't get the CPU stable above 3GHz at stock voltage, then, you need rise the CPU voltage